We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date
close icon

worksheet.ImportDataTable() performance

I use the following code to populate a worksheet using a DataTable object:

public void AddDataToWorkbookStream(DataTable dataTable, Stream stream)
{
ExcelEngine excelEngine = new ExcelEngine();
IApplication excel = excelEngine.Excel;
IWorkbook workbook = excel.Workbooks.Create(1);
IWorksheet worksheet = workbook.Worksheets[0];
worksheet.ImportDataTable(dataTable, true, 1, 1);
workbook.SaveAs(stream);
excelEngine.ThrowNotSavedOnDestroy = false;
excelEngine.Dispose();
return;
}

The DataTable has some 500 rows and 80 columns. I expect the tables to be even bigger in the future. It takes some 3 minutes to create the workbook. The bottleneck is the worksheet.ImportDataTable() method.

Is there a faster way to populate a worksheet?

11 Replies

MW Melba Winshia Syncfusion Team March 7, 2007 11:45 AM UTC

Hi Eric,

Thanks for your interest in Essential XlsIO.

I was able to reproduce the problem. However, our internal version is more optimized with respect to time taken and memory usage. I created a sample to import a datatable with 80 columns and 500 rows and tested in version 4.4.0.51. It took more than 3 minutes to import. But with our internal version it took only 2-3 seconds.

Our next release would be in the second week of March, which has great improvement in performance (reduced memory and better speed).

Kindly let me know if you have any other questions.

Regards,
Melba

EA Eric Arends March 13, 2007 08:53 AM UTC

Hi Melba

Previously I was running the web application in Debug mode in VS2005. In Release mode I do not notice a slow performance. The workbook is created in 2-3 seconds, which is more than enough.

Interestingly enough and am no longer able to get a slow performance in Debug mode now. You wrote that you were able to reproduce the slow performance. Was this is Debug mode? Could you try again in Release mode and report on the performance. And then back in Debug mode?

Regards
Eric

MW Melba Winshia Syncfusion Team March 14, 2007 11:44 AM UTC

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the update!

I tested in debug mode only. It took more than 3 minutes to import data in debug mode with version 4.4. But with our internal (upcoming) version it took just 2-3 seconds in debug mode. I tested in release mode (VS2005) in version 4.4. But it took the same 3 minutes (more than that). Could please let us know how you tested in release mode? This would help us to test with release mode and report on the performance.

Regards,
Melba

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team March 24, 2007 01:20 PM UTC

When is the latest version coming out?

I am also having memory/performance problems in my evaluation....

MW Melba Winshia Syncfusion Team March 26, 2007 11:29 AM UTC

Hi JimB,

I am glad to inform you that our latest version (V5) is scheduled to be released within this week.

Regards,
Melba

BW Brett Wilbur March 30, 2007 01:15 PM UTC

Hello, any update on the new release with enhanced datatable import performance?

I am experiencing slow import times with my trial version as well, averaging about 50 rows per 10 seconds.

With the need to import up to 500-1000 rows, this could be a showstopper.

Thanks.

MW Melba Winshia Syncfusion Team April 2, 2007 12:21 PM UTC

Hi Brett,

Thanks for your interest in Essential XlsIO.

Essential XlsIO Version 5 has great improvements in performance (reduced memory and better speed). I created a sample to import data table with 5000 rows and 10 columns. It took more than 3 minutes in version 4.4. But in version 5 it took only 2-3 seconds. Here is the video clip for your reference to show the performance improvements in version 5:

Performance.zip

Could you please refer the following forum thread to obtain the beta version of Essential Studio v5?

http://www.syncfusion.com/support/Forums/message.aspx?&MessageID=57573

Thanks,
Melba

BW Brett Wilbur April 10, 2007 11:22 PM UTC

Hi Melba,

Working with one of your Account Managers (thanks Holley) I was able to test the beta 5 version.

Similar to your results, I experienced dramatically improved load times, arround 2700 rows in 1.5-2 seconds.

I look forward to working with XlsIO.

Thanks again for your help.

MW Melba Winshia Syncfusion Team April 11, 2007 12:56 PM UTC

Hi Brett,

Thanks for the update.

Glad to hear that there is great improvement in load times in V5.

Thanks,
Melba

GV Geogie Varughese April 1, 2010 03:18 PM UTC

Do you have any bench marks when the same example is loaded with formatting, formualas etc?

GM Geetha M Syncfusion Team April 5, 2010 09:47 AM UTC

Hi Geogie,

Thank you for your interest in Syncfusion products.

Formulas can be inserted in any cell as done in the normal way. However, you should use default styles that would apply formatting easier and quicker. Please refer to our documentation in the link below.

ImprovingPerformance

Please try this and let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,
Geetha

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon