We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date

Serious Bug in Importing Names from Excel (Ranges that refer to Columns and Rows)

We have just upgraded to Essential Studio 4.4.0.51

We now have a *serious* problem with importing named cells and cell ranges from Excel files.

Attached is a sample Visual Studio project with sample Excel file which illustrates it.

Named cell ranges representing columns in Excel have the format:

'Sheet1'!$E:$E

Rows are similarly:

'Sheet1'!$9$9

These *used* to import fine (as the 'name.Value foir names in workbook.Names).

They *now* come in as :

'Sheet1'!C3 for column 3 or
'Sheet1'!R9 for row 9

Presumably 'C' for column and 'R' for row. *Unfortunately* these are impossible to disambiguate from named cells using relative syntax - which excel *does* allow.

This is a big problem for us.

By the way - with this version we *still* see named formulae coming in with name.Value set to null. (To reproduce create an Excel file. Go to Insert->Name-Define menu option and create a name with the value '=42' - then iterate over the names using our sample.)

Both of these issues are a big problem for us.

Thanks

Michael Foord

SyncfusionIOBugTest0.zip

7 Replies

MW Melba Winshia Syncfusion Team February 22, 2007 02:23 PM UTC

Hi Michael,

I was able to reproduce the problem. However, this issue is fixed internally and will be available in our next release. Next release will be in the second week of March.

Here is the screenshot of the output with current version:

CurrentVersion.png

Here is the screenshot of the output with internal version:

RowColumn.png

Kindly let me know if you have any other questions.

Regards,
Melba

MF Michael Foord March 21, 2007 03:43 PM UTC

Any news on this release ? We would like to see this fixed.

Also, you didn't reply about the named formulae where we were seeing null values on cell.Value. (Reproducible from the sample I posted.)

Michael Foord

>Hi Michael,

I was able to reproduce the problem. However, this issue is fixed internally and will be available in our next release. Next release will be in the second week of March.

Here is the screenshot of the output with current version:

CurrentVersion.png

Here is the screenshot of the output with internal version:

RowColumn.png

Regards,
Melba

MW Melba Winshia Syncfusion Team March 22, 2007 10:43 AM UTC

Hi Michael,

Thanks for being patient. Our next release would be in the last week of March.

Regarding name.Value set to null:
--------------------------------

I was able to reproduce the problem. This issue has also been fixed internally and would be available in our upcoming version. Here is the video clip for your reference:

4.4.0.51:
---------

Oldversion.zip

Upcoming version:
-----------------

Null_Video.zip

Thanks,
Melba

GT Giles Thomas June 26, 2007 04:50 PM UTC

Hi Melba,

I am Michael's colleague at Resolver Systems, and we have just upgraded to the version 5.1.0 of the Syncfusion Grid and XlsIO components. Unfortunately the fix - which is just as you describe it above - is still no good.

It is important for us to be able to distinguish between a bounded range that covers, say, $A$1:$IV$1, and an unbounded range such as $1:$1 - they are, after all, quite different things!

Is there any chance of this being fixed?

Regards,

Giles

MW Melba Winshia Syncfusion Team June 27, 2007 12:12 PM UTC

Hi Giles,

Could you please open a new direct – trac incident with subject line as Forum 56848 - Serious Bug in Importing Names from Excel? So that it would be possible for us to provide more details regarding this issue.

Thanks,
Melba

GT Giles Thomas June 27, 2007 03:45 PM UTC

Done.

MW Melba Winshia Syncfusion Team June 28, 2007 05:06 AM UTC

Hi Giles,

Thank you for creating Direct-trac incident.

Thanks,
Melba

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon