We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date

Invisible images in DocIO

I am avaluating DocIO for use in document assembly. I recently downloaded version 4.4.0.51, which I believe is the latest version. I am using only the prepared Windows forms samples so far and have not modified them in any way. I am using VS 2003, and the VB.NET samples, though the same thing happens with the C# samples.

A consistent problem is that images are never shown. The layout of the image is there -- you can click on them and the handles appear around a box that is the same size as the image. The "invisible image" can be copied and pasted into another document, and it's invisible there too.

The image cannot be edited. In Word the Edit Picture command has no effect, and if the image is copied and pasted into a graphics program like Paint, nothing is inside its rectangle.

An example is the SalesInvoice sample. The template document contains two embedded images. When this document is processed using the sample code the document is output correctly, but the images are not visible.

5 Replies

GM Gordon McComb February 17, 2007 06:45 PM UTC

Some additional information regarding the above that might be useful.

I am using Word 2000 with SR1 patch. I just tried opening the file in the Word 2003 Viewer, and the images DO appear there.

So this looks like a bug related to Word 2000. Unfortunately, Word 2000 is still heavily used (particularly my clients, most of whom are lawyers who are slower to change), so I would be interested in knowing if this is something that can be fixed.

GM Gordon McComb February 17, 2007 07:56 PM UTC

Sorry to answer my own posts but I have discovered the issue is not with Word 2000, but does appear to be graphics corruption.

I am using the SalesInvoiceDemo.doc sample, because it has graphics in the file already, and the sample code does not insert the graphics programmatically.

1. The original SalesInvoiceDemo.doc can be opened -- and the graphics are visible -- in Word 2000, Word 2003 viewer, WordPad, and (when converted to RTF in Word 2000) in a RichTextBox control.

2. The graphics are not visible in the processed output file when opened with Word 2000, WordPad (it complains of an unrecognized graphics file format), or in the RichTextBox. I have verified the RTF file contains the graphic image.

I am using XP SP2, and the machine is fully patched. I am using the RTF control in .NET 2003.

MW Melba Winshia Syncfusion Team February 19, 2007 06:50 AM UTC

Hi GMcComb,

Thanks for your interest in Essential DocIO.

There were some issues with invisible images in Word 2000. However, this issue has been fixed internally and will be available in our next release. Could you please create a Direct-Trac incident regarding this so that I can provide you with a preview version which includes the fix.

Here is the output file generated in the SalesInvoice sample with our internal version:

Sample.doc

Kindly let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
Melba

GM Gordon McComb February 19, 2007 04:36 PM UTC

I will provide the incident for bug tracking.

Please also check your internal version for something else I noticed: If the original image is set to anything other than in-line with text, it causes an unrecoverable crash in Word 2000 when the document is loaded. The same document takes longer (3-4 seconds, as opposed to 1-2 seconds) to load in Word 2003 Viewer, indicating to me some type of internal error condition that the viewer is compensating for.

MW Melba Winshia Syncfusion Team February 20, 2007 02:03 PM UTC

Hi GMcComb,

Thanks for creating Direct Trac incident. Your Direct Trac support incident has been updated.

Kindly let me know if you have any other questions.

Regards,
Melba

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon