We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date

Problem about form filling with flattening and a question about XFA

Hello.

I am developing some programs related to PDF in Korea.

I have tested the newest Essential PDF evaluation version to identify whether it meets my requirements.

When I used form filling functions, I faced to some problems.

I succeeded to fill acroforms with Korean characters. In fact, Essential PDF was only product to fill acroforms with Korean characters correctly. Other products distorted the layout of filled PDF file.

But, error always occurs when I call Flatten function and then call Save function.

Error message is as this;

“Could not find width for this character. Unicode is not currently supported by system fonts.”

This error does not occur at other commercial PDF components that I tested with enabling form flattening.

If you could fix it, I would really appreciate it.

And, I have a question about XFA.

I read the manual of Essential PDF and could not find XFA related item.

DO you have a plan to support static XFA form filling and importing data from FDF, XFDF and XML on an early day? They are needed to develop my application.

If you could take a few minutes to answer my questions, I would really appreciate it.
Thank you in advance for your help and apologize for my short English skill.

Best regards,

S. H. Park

P.S. I attach a Korean form filling PDF file that I have used

FormFillingTemplate_PDF1.5.zip

7 Replies

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team February 16, 2007 10:53 PM UTC

Hi Park,

Thanks you for the sample you have sent.

Essential PDF do support for Korean fonts. I would like to clarify my doubts before getting to the issue. Could you please let me know have you applied the flatten property for the whole form or only to the control(table) and also the version of Adobe reader you are using?

Regarding XFA, we don’t have support for it. But I will discuss with my development team whether this will be implemented in our feature release and inform you the details in two days.

Thank you for your interest in Essential PDF.

Regards,
Sarath

DA dark February 17, 2007 08:45 AM UTC

Thank you for your reply.

This is my test code in VB.NET;
'-----------------------------------------------
Private Sub FillForm(ByVal srcName As String, ByVal outputName As String, ByVal bFlattening As Boolean)
Dim doc As New PDFDocument(srcName)
Dim form As IPDFForm = doc.Form

form.Fields("Title").Value = "Hello world! 대한민국"
form.Fields("Contents").Value = "Test 안녕하세요."

If bFlattening = True Then form.Flatten()

doc.Save(outputName)

End Sub
'-----------------------------------------------

I used Acrobat 7 and 8 for viewing PDF files.

Thank you and have a nice day.

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team February 19, 2007 09:14 PM UTC

Hi Dark,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

Currently we do not have much support for korean fonts. Essential PDF can only support simple features. It cannot support features like flattening etc., However a feature request is already been posted to the development team regarding this issue. I will consult with my development team regarding this and I will send you an update regarding the time frame within two days.

Please let me know if you have any other issues.

Regards,
Sarath Kumar.G

DA dark February 20, 2007 12:45 AM UTC

I have heard that the support of Syncfusion is very nice and become aware that it is true!

If you need some Korean fonts, I can send them.

Thank you very much and I'll wait.

Best regards,

S.H. Park

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team February 22, 2007 12:41 AM UTC

Hi Dark,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

Regarding the support for XFA forms. We do have support in filling out the static XFA form. Here is the sample for your reference which fills out the XFA form.

XFA_Fonts.zip

Regarding the issue with flattening property of filled forms in korean fonts. I tested with the latest versions and I was able to reproduce the issue. So I have a logged a bug report and have forwarded the bug report to my development team. I will let u know the status of the bug report in a timeframe of one week.

Thank you for your interest in Essential PDF.

Please let me know if you have face any issues.

Regards,
Sarath

CN Corinne N. Bliven August 22, 2007 02:02 PM UTC

Hello,

When do you think that Essential PDF will have full support of unicode characters?
Although I am working with the english language which is covered by ascii, yesterday I kept getting the following error while creating a pdf table and attaching a DataTable source to it:

"Could not find width for this character. Unicode is not currently supported by system fonts."

Come to find out, somebody decided that ... is no longer 3 '.' characters, but 1 unicode character (8230). So, short of parsing every single string to see if they containt one of those (and god knows, what other character combination may have been turned into a unicode character), I would love Essential PDF to support unicode.

Thank you!

:)

SD Sarathi D Syncfusion Team August 23, 2007 10:17 PM UTC

Hi Park,

Thank you for your patience.

By default unicode is not supported. But it can be achieved by using the flattering font.

Before using a font it should be embeded into a particular field.

Unicode support for a particular field can be given by using the code snippet below.

IPDFLoadedField f = form.Fields[3] as IPDFLoadedField;
f.FlatteningFont = doc1.Fonts.Add(new Font("Arial",12),true);

Please try this and let me know if you are still getting errors.

Regards,
Sarathi

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon