We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date
close icon

speed up loading?

Hi,

I am wondering if there are any suggestions for speeding the initial display of grid controls. It takes a very long time for our app to display (with empty grids). A profiler shows a lot of calls to System.Diagnostics stuff, including performance monitors and tracing. Is there a way to turn this off, or is perf mon part of the grid optimization? I understand some of the delay is the dll loading itself, but any suggestions will be appreciated!

thanks,
Lynn

4 Replies

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team December 26, 2006 06:41 AM UTC

LG Lynn Gasch December 26, 2006 10:49 PM UTC

Thanks for the reply. Those posts will be helpful in speeding our code when we are loading a populated grid. But right now I am more interested in the calls to System.Diagnostics stuff, including performance monitors and tracing. Is there a way to turn this off, or is perf mon part of the grid optimization? Or are we inadvertantly using a debug version?

thanks!
Lynn

MT Mitch Todd January 22, 2007 06:56 PM UTC

Any word on this? I seem to have a very similar problem with loading an empty GridControl..I posted about this very problem several months ago, but was given little direction. Any information would be helpful

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team January 22, 2007 07:06 PM UTC

Hi Mitch,

I think the initial delay being described is from physically loading the DLL''''s from the disk. The attached little sample illustrates such as delay. If you run this sample with the output window visible and you click the load button, it takes about 1.5-2 seconds to display an empty GGC. If you then click the button again, the form displays much quicker. And if you watch the output window while you wait for the grid to show each time, you will see that the first time, the grid dlls are loading. This is the difference between first load and second load.

As far as speeding this up, you can use the Ngen.Exe tool that is part of the .NET Framework to create a native image of your EXE. In some cases, this will speed up initial load time. We have optiomized the base addresses used in a our 4.4 libraries to help get better results using native imagaes. But you should be aware that the best Ngen performanace gains are seen when you have several applications running that use common libraries. In such cases, the native images allow the libraries to only be loaded once for the firat loaded application. See the MSDN help on Ngen.exe for comments of perfromance enhancements using Ngen.

Here is a sample.
http://www.syncfusion.com/Support/user/uploads/StarUpTime_224fdee6.zip

Best Regards,
Haneef

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon