We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy.
Unfortunately, activation email could not send to your email. Please try again.

FindControl requires that controls have unique IDs

Thread ID:

Created:

Updated:

Platform:

Replies:

53447 Dec 13,2006 03:17 PM May 18,2007 06:39 AM ASP.NET Web Forms (Classic) 15
Tags: GridGroupingControl
Jeff
Asked On December 13, 2006 03:17 PM

Hi,
I've been banging my head against this error for awhile now, and am appealing to you for some help.

Here's what I'm trying to do:
I'm trying to implement a derivative of the EditAllRows example. I have a dropdownlist of Access table names and I bind the gridgrouping control to a new table when a new table is selected. Since the columns vary from table to table, i'm importing the itemtemplate from a dummy grid. I've been referring to the examples in this post (http://www.syncfusion.com/support/forums/message.aspx?MessageID=34268)

The problem is when a new table is selected from the dropdownlist I get the following error:

Multiple controls with the same ID 'GridGroupingControl1~TR~0~_TOPGROUP_^*R0' were found. FindControl requires that controls have unique IDs.

Stack Trace:
[HttpException (0x80004005): Multiple controls with the same ID 'GridGroupingControl1~TR~0~_TOPGROUP_^*R0' were found. FindControl requires that controls have unique IDs.]
System.Web.UI.Control.FillNamedControlsTable(Control namingContainer, ControlCollection controls) +268
System.Web.UI.Control.FillNamedControlsTable(Control namingContainer, ControlCollection controls) +340
System.Web.UI.Control.FillNamedControlsTable(Control namingContainer, ControlCollection controls) +340
System.Web.UI.Control.EnsureNamedControlsTable() +76
System.Web.UI.Control.FindControl(String id, Int32 pathOffset) +179
System.Web.UI.Page.FindControl(String id) +57
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessPostData(NameValueCollection postData, Boolean fBeforeLoad) +282
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +2547

If anyone has an idea how to correct this, it would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

Gokul B [Syncfusion]
Replied On December 13, 2006 07:05 PM

Hi Jeff,

We are currently looking into this and let you know later tommorrow.

Thanks for using Syncfusion products.

Regards,
B.Gokulkumar

Gokul B [Syncfusion]
Replied On December 14, 2006 04:15 PM

Hi Jeff,

We could able to reproduce the issue as you mentioned. While binding the Grid Dynamically, fail to create a primarykey column to GridGroupControl causes this error. So, please make sure this is taken care in your sample. However, for your clear clarification we created a sample as per your requirement. Please have a look at our attached sample.

Forum_53447.zip

Let us know if this helps

Regards,
B.Gokulkumar

Jeff
Replied On December 19, 2006 12:29 PM

Hi,
Thanks for your assistance. I adapted your example to my datasource, and when I try to Save Changes made on the grid, I get the following error:

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

on the following line of the SaveChanges() function:

>>>foreach (TableRow row in GridGroupingControl1.TopLevelTable.Rows)

Stack Trace:
[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
_Default.SaveChanges() in c:\Documents and Settings\Rack City\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\WebSites\WebSite2\LiveApp.aspx.cs:190
_Default.GridGroupingControl1_BarButtonItemClicked(Object source, ButtonBarItemClickEventArgs e) in c:\Documents and Settings\Rack City\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\WebSites\WebSite2\LiveApp.aspx.cs:166
Syncfusion.Web.UI.WebControls.Grid.Grouping.GridGroupingControl.OnBarButtonItemClicked(ButtonBarItemClickEventArgs e) +96
Syncfusion.Web.UI.WebControls.Grid.Grouping.GridGroupingControl.ProcessClientEvent(String eventArgument) +5432
Syncfusion.Web.UI.WebControls.Grid.Grouping.GridGroupingControl.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +29
System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument) +32
System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData) +242
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +3838

Are you able to save changes with the example you provided? Thanks for your assistance.

Best
Jeff

Gokul B [Syncfusion]
Replied On December 19, 2006 07:07 PM

Hi Jeff,

We could see this issue in our sample as you mentioned. So we need to look bit more on that and let you know later within two days.

Regards,
B.Gokulkumar

Administrator [Syncfusion]
Replied On December 21, 2006 07:34 PM

Hi Jeff,

We regret for the delay.

Still we are struggling to address the issue. This Error occurrs only when the templates are added from the dummy grid. It is working fine when the grid has its template of its own. However, we need to look bit more for some possible workaround and let you know later.

Thanks for your patience.

Regards,
Gokulkumar.B

Replied On December 26, 2006 12:46 PM

Hi Jeff,

I very much appreciate your patience on this issue, but once again I apologize for the delay, in getting back to you. We need to investigate more on this issue and let you know later within "Friday".

Regards,
Gokulkumar.B

Replied On December 27, 2006 01:38 PM

Gokulkumar,
Thank you for keeping me posted on the progress and for the resolution as soon as it becomes available.

Best
Jeff

>Hi Jeff,

I very much appreciate your patience on this issue, but once again I apologize for the delay, in getting back to you. We need to investigate more on this issue and let you know later within "Friday".

Regards,
Gokulkumar.B

Jeff
Replied On January 5, 2007 05:25 PM

Gokulkumar,

Can you provide me an update on this issue? Our development has halted until this gets corrected; so a resolution is critical. Thanks!

Best
Jeff

Replied On January 8, 2007 08:37 AM

Hi Jeff,

We apologize for the delay, in getting back to you. We are looking into it and will let you know by tomorrow.

Regards,
Valli.

>Gokulkumar,

Can you provide me an update on this issue? Our development has halted until this gets corrected; so a resolution is critical. Thanks!

Best
Jeff

Replied On January 9, 2007 05:45 AM

Hi Jef,

Table Rows of the GridGrouping Control couldn't be retrieved when templates are created at the runtime. This is because 'this.GridGroupingControl1.TopLevelTable'is set to 'null' when the templates are created in the runtime as in the previous attached sample [Forum_53447_86a19ef6.zip].

This seems to be a bug and this has been forwarded to the Essential Grid Development team. Will update you the time frame within a week, as to when the fix will be available.

We really apologize for the delay and the inconvience caused.

Thanks for using syncfusion products.

Regards,
Valli.

Replied On February 10, 2007 01:59 AM

Hi Jef,

This issue is opened and the fix will be available on or before 05, March 2007.

Thank you for using Syncfusion products.

Regards,
Sureshsekaran.

Replied On March 1, 2007 02:38 AM

Hi Jef,

We have forwarded this issue to our developers and we will surely update you with the fix for this issue on March23th, 2007. You can keep track of the progress of the issue from the below link

http://www.syncfusion.com/support/issues/grid/Default.aspx?ToDo=view&questId=3340

We regret for the inconvenience caused.

Thanks and Regards,
Sharmila

David Cyr
Replied On April 4, 2007 03:21 PM

Has any progress been made regarding thiss issue? I've run the same problem and would like to know if you figured out how to get around it.

Regards,

Dave

Mitul Thobhani
Replied On May 9, 2007 12:34 PM

Hello, I am also wondering if this has been resolved as we are also facing this problem.

Any news?

Valli [Syncfusion]
Replied On May 18, 2007 06:39 AM

Hi Dave/Mitul,

Sorry for the inconvience caused.

Include the below code snippet before the accessing the TopLevelTable rows, to rectify the null exception issue.

this.GridGroupingControl1.CreateControlHierarchy();

Please let us know if this helps you.

Regards,
Valli

CONFIRMATION

This post will be permanently deleted. Are you sure you want to continue?

Sorry, An error occured while processing your request. Please try again later.

You are using an outdated version of Internet Explorer that may not display all features of this and other websites. Upgrade to Internet Explorer 8 or newer for a better experience.

;