We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date

Error decrypting an Excel workbook

The attachment contains a password protected workbook that causes a failure on decryption. The problem occurs in the Footer record of the Stahl&Druck worksheet. The password is "test".

I had written my own decoder based on the Open Office algorithm. It failed at the same point so maybe your implementation of the algorithm is also based on the Open Office source. By the way Open Office *is* able to open this file successfully as can Excel.

Unfortunately the file is large and cutting it down in size seems to eliminate the problem. However this does indicate that the problem is to do with some aspect of the decoding process.

Also, the error only occurs when the file has a write as well as a read password so that's another clue though not one I've been able to use so far.

Although the error occurs on this large file and you may be forgiven for thinking that it is restricted to this large file, it also occurs when using many client files. Unfortunately I can't send you any of these.

Bill Seddon

PasswordError.zip

7 Replies

CP Chella Pandian B Syncfusion Team December 8, 2006 10:38 PM UTC

Hi Bill Seddon,

Thanks for the sample file. I was able to reproduce the problem. Can you please tell us what version of Xlsio and dot net framework you are using?

I will discuss this issue with my team and get back to you with in 2 days.

We are extremely sorry for the inconvenience.

Thank you for your interest in Syncfusion products

With regards,
Chella.

BS Bill Seddon December 9, 2006 12:10 PM UTC

The assembly version is 4.401.0.51. .NET 1.1

Bill Seddon

CP Chella Pandian B Syncfusion Team December 12, 2006 12:24 AM UTC

To Bill Seddon,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Currently Essential XlsIO does not support workbook decryption. Our developers are working on this issue. We are extremely sorry for the inconvenience. Please let me know if you have any other difficulties.

Thanks for you interest in XlsIO.

With regards,
Chella.

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team December 12, 2006 08:29 AM UTC

What? Are you saying that the code implemented in the assembly and the methods that accept a password are junk? Why are the methods that accept a password documented and not excluded or marked as not implemented?

Bill Seddon

>To Bill Seddon,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Currently Essential XlsIO does not support workbook decryption. Our developers are working on this issue. We are extremely sorry for the inconvenience. Please let me know if you have any other difficulties.

Thanks for you interest in XlsIO.

With regards,
Chella.

MW Melba Winshia Syncfusion Team December 14, 2006 06:15 AM UTC

Hi Bill,

Unfortunately we were not able to include this feature in 4.4 release. Please accept our apologies for not marking as "Not Implemented". Sorry for the inconvenience. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
Melba

BS Bill Seddon December 14, 2006 09:38 AM UTC

Yes, having now looked at the code I can see that it will not work. It uses the wrong block size and fails to use the stream position to decode records.

MW Melba Winshia Syncfusion Team December 14, 2006 10:03 AM UTC

Hi Bill,

Please track the status of this feature through the following

http://www.syncfusion.com/support/features/xlsio/Default.aspx?ToDo=view&questId=308

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
Melba

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon