We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date
close icon

VS2003 and syncfusion 3.3 : Controls added in designer won''t save

Hello,

I have a fairly urgent problem here. I've been using VS2003 and Syncfusion 3.3 for a while. When I opened my app's main form yesterday (in the VS designer), I got some strange error about some control not being convertable to an InstanceDescriptor, and several controls disappeared. Now I can't successfully use any new syncfusion controls!

I can add them, but when I try to save I get (for example):

'BarManagerConverter' is unable to convert 'Syncfusion.Windows.Forms.Tools.XPMenus.MainFrameBarManager' to 'System.ComponentModel.Design.Serialization.InstanceDescriptor'.
and
Code generation for property 'BackgroundColor' failed. Error was: 'value'

A member gets generated for the controls I try to add, but only their declaration.

Then after struggling with this most of the day, trying to add in the controls by hand in code (I've got a release coming up) all the syncfusion items in the toolbox disappeared.

So I reset the toolbox, ran the AssemblyManager to add the stuff back in, and ran VS. All the toolbox items are back but I still can't add anything without getting erros trying to save.

A NEW project does not have this problem, so there must be something awry in my project files somewhere.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on?

Keith

1 Reply

KU Kumaresh Syncfusion Team December 4, 2006 06:49 AM UTC

Hi Keith,

One possible reason here could be version conflict. When you have multiple versions of Essential Studio installed on your machine, sometimes the application gets compiled against one version and links to another at runtime leading to unpredictable behavior. Setting the CopyLocal property of the Syncfusion references to false also might help.

Please try the following suggestions :

1. Delete all Syncfusion dlls and policy files from the GAC (C:\WINDOWS\Assembly in a Windows XP machine or C:\WINNT\Assembly in a Windows 2000 machine)

2. Run the Assembly Manager tool choosing v3.3 Prebuilt Release. The Assembly Manager tool can be accessed from Start Menu >> Programs >> Syncfusion >> Essential Suite 3.3 >> Assembly Manager

3. Go to the GAC again and delete all the Syncfusion policy files

4. Open up your project in the designer and delete all Syncfusion references

5. Re-add them from the directory C:\Program Files\Syncfusion\Essential Suite\Assemblies

6. Make sure the CopyLocal property for the Syncfusion references is set to false in the designer

7. Now rebuild your application and let me know how it goes

We appreciate your cooperation and thanks for choosing Syncfusion products.

Regards,
Kumaresh.

>Hello,

I have a fairly urgent problem here. I've been using VS2003 and Syncfusion 3.3 for a while. When I opened my app's main form yesterday (in the VS designer), I got some strange error about some control not being convertable to an InstanceDescriptor, and several controls disappeared. Now I can't successfully use any new syncfusion controls!

I can add them, but when I try to save I get (for example):

'BarManagerConverter' is unable to convert 'Syncfusion.Windows.Forms.Tools.XPMenus.MainFrameBarManager' to 'System.ComponentModel.Design.Serialization.InstanceDescriptor'.
and
Code generation for property 'BackgroundColor' failed. Error was: 'value'

A member gets generated for the controls I try to add, but only their declaration.

Then after struggling with this most of the day, trying to add in the controls by hand in code (I've got a release coming up) all the syncfusion items in the toolbox disappeared.

So I reset the toolbox, ran the AssemblyManager to add the stuff back in, and ran VS. All the toolbox items are back but I still can't add anything without getting erros trying to save.

A NEW project does not have this problem, so there must be something awry in my project files somewhere.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on?

Keith

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon