We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date
close icon

Designer code changes for grid controls docked on client panel

We have wrapped the grid control in our own control and have placed it on a form with docking. One control is on a client panel and is not docked, one control is enabled for docking below. Whenever you open the form in the designer, it edits the designer code. Note that a change to the file happens even when the grid control is used directly (instead of our control). But with our control i noticed it adds extra GridRangeStyle objects everytime the form is opening in the designer. Note that this only happens when the control is placed on the client panel. When it is outside the panel, everything is fine. I have supplied some examples with our control and with the regular grid control to demonstrate the behavior. I have supplied our code for the grid wrapper gutted, but with all the designer information. Is there some setting that is causing this problem? Thanks, Julie

DockedGrids.zip

11 Replies

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team June 14, 2006 04:24 PM UTC

Hi Julie, Try setting the SerializeCellsBehavior property of the grid to SerializeIntoCode that will avoid the mentioned issue. But I am not able to see the issue in the normal grid that set to dock enabled. Regards, Calvin.

JL Julie Levy June 14, 2006 08:47 PM UTC

Hi - It''s only the control which is placed on a docking client panel (with no docking). Enabling docking or having the control on another container without the dockingmanager in the picture doesn''t cause this behavior. Also, i''ve already tried changing the SerializeCells behavior to inCode. All that does for my control is change the creation of a RangeStyle object to a creation of a GridCellInfo object everytime the form is opened in the designer. Try it out in the sample i provided. In general, even when there''s only a gridcontrol on the panel (see Form3 in my sample), why does the form show that it''s been editted everytime you open it in the designer (asterisk appears in the tab, sourcecontrol prompts to check out). Thanks, Julie

JL Julie Levy July 5, 2006 07:13 PM UTC

Hi - any response to this? It is still a problem for us and seems to be caused by the clientpanel. Thanks, Julie

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team July 7, 2006 12:15 AM UTC

Hi Julie, We apologize for the delay in getting back to you. Please let us know the version of the grid you are using. It will be easier for us to trace the issue. Thanks for your patience. Best regards, Madhan

JL Julie Levy July 7, 2006 04:26 AM UTC

Hi - i am using the latest version 4.2.0.37. the issue is happening in the sample i attached. Thanks, Julie

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team July 7, 2006 08:38 PM UTC

Hi Julie, We haven''t seen the GridRangeStyle designer problem of "XP SP2 +VS 2003 version + Essential Studio 4.2.". We have tested your sample with Essentail Studio 4.2 many time, but we haven''t reproduce the issue in our system. Maybe I am not following the steps that you are doing. If you give more information about this issue, we will try debugging here. Let me know if i am missing something. Thanks for your patience. Best Regards, Haneef.

JL Julie Levy July 7, 2006 10:17 PM UTC

Hi Haneef - All i do is open the solution i sent you. For each form in the DockedGrids project, when i open them in design view, the asterisk appears in the top tab indicating a file has changed. If you look at the designer code in Form2, for example, you''ll see alot of GridRangeStyle objects, etc. in InitializeComponent. (see attached screenshot - all i did was open the files..). It only happens to the grids which are on those docking client panels. My environment is XP SP2, VisualStudio 2005, 4.2 Essential Studio. Let me know if there''s any other sample code i can provide. This sample was created in this environment, not upgraded. Thanks, Julie

DockedGridsScreenshot.zip

JL Julie Levy July 25, 2006 09:05 PM UTC

Has anyone been able to look at this issue and reproduce it? It''s becoming a real problem for us requiring us to manually edit the designer code everytime we open the file.
Thanks,
Julie

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team July 26, 2006 09:33 AM UTC

Hi Julie,

We are able to reproduce this issue here and currently looking into this. We will get back to you soon on this.
Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks,
Rajagopal

JL Julie Levy August 15, 2006 08:42 PM UTC

Hi -
any update on this?
Thanks,
Julie

JL Julie Levy August 17, 2006 05:45 PM UTC

One update from me. I saw the KB about DesignerSerializationVisibility which i added to my derived grid. So now i don''t have that going on for RangeStyles, etc.

However, i still get prompted to check out the form containing the grid when i open it in the designer. And the .cs file has an asterisk indicating a change. After checking out and saving, I don''t see any differences in the .cs, designer.cs or .resx files when i compare them to the checked-in version. Maybe the file gets altered and then changes back? Is there anything that can be done to prevent visual studio from thinking the file has changed? If you don''t check out the file, you get the attached error and the grid on the client panel doesn''t paint but shows an error instead (also attached).

Thanks, i hope this info helps.

Julie

errors5.zip

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon