We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date

OutOfMemoryException

Using XlsIO 4.2.0.37 We have an ASP.NET app which creates large workbooks (> 13,000 rows). It is throwing OutOfMemoryExceptions. That''s bad, but the immediate problem is that after one of these exceptions, the site is effectively dead - all page requests result in OutOfMemoryExceptions. Task Manager shows the memory usage at ~700M - the server has 4G. I considering isolating XlsIO in its own AppDomain - does anyone have an alternate suggestion?

5 Replies

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team June 9, 2006 09:38 PM UTC

Hi Mike, Could you please let me know more details on the problem. XlsIO usually does not have any problems handling 13,000 rows. Please provide the following details 1) The approximate number of columns 2) Are data being written into a template? If yes would it be possible to send the template to us. 3) If possible a sample to reproduce the problem. It is likely a bug/bottleneck that is causing this problem. Once we are able to reproduce the problem we will try to fix it as soon as possible. Here is the sample that I had used for testing writing a file with 15,000 rows and 30 columns F45080Performance.zip It took 170MB memory on my machine. Best regards, Stephen. >Using XlsIO 4.2.0.37 > >We have an ASP.NET app which creates large workbooks (> 13,000 rows). It is throwing OutOfMemoryExceptions. That''s bad, but the immediate problem is that after one of these exceptions, the site is effectively dead - all page requests result in OutOfMemoryExceptions. Task Manager shows the memory usage at ~700M - the server has 4G. > >I considering isolating XlsIO in its own AppDomain - does anyone have an alternate suggestion?

MA Michael Abraham June 11, 2006 02:12 PM UTC

The app opens an existing (mostly empty) workbook, populates it, does a lot of formatting, including adding comments to a large fraction of the cells, and saves it. The resulting workbook had about 20,000 rows and 10 columns. The problem was first observed when 3 (possibly more) of these were run simultaneously. Since the ASP.NET worker process was not recycled, I assume that the OutOfMemory exception was due to heap fragmentation/capacity issues. I have no real issue with an extreme usage case like this failing due to resource constraints. As I said in my original post, my primary concern is that following the OutOfMemory exception, all subsequent accesses to the web site also failed with the same exception, leading me to believe that XlsIO is not cleaning up after itself properly in these cases. The ExcelEngine instance is created in a using block, so I assume that Dispose() is being called properly.

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team June 13, 2006 03:50 PM UTC

Hi Mike, We are looking into this issue.I will send you an update regarding this issue as soon as possible. Thanks, Bharath

TV Tony Vargas June 23, 2006 05:36 PM UTC

Hi, Has there been any resolution on this issue. We are experiencing the same exact behavior almost to the t. While doing memory dumps we noticed that formatting seems to be the cause. For instance in a large report the memory dump shows over 2 million border objects being created resulting in 75MB of memory being created and the border collection objects are taking up another 25MB of memory. Thats 100MB just for the borders, but its not about the size, but we believe that it is a memory fragmentation problem because in all cases that we experience the problem we are only using between 200MB - 300MB of 2GB of memory available to the process. The server has 4GB of memory available as a whole and we aren''t getting anywhere near these max usages. We can provide memory dumps if that will assist in troubleshooting this problem. Thanks, Tony

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team June 23, 2006 10:18 PM UTC

Hi Tony, Could you please let me know the code you use for setting styles and formats for a particular row/column/cell.Is it possible to send a sample to reproduce the problem. Thanks, Bharath.

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon