We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date
close icon

current cell canceledit and controladded event question?

I''ve attached a sample that we are having a problem with. The problem we are having involved cancelling the edit of a certain cell if it doesnt fall in to a certain criteria. It works fine I''ve just figured out if I comment out the controladded section you guys helped us with awhile back to take out the right click context menu. Run the sample.....Double click cell 1,1 to get in to active edit mode. Then highlight just the 01 in 501. Now hit the delete key. You will get an error from the validating event which you are suppose to, but then it should cancel the edit and put it back to the original 501 that was in the cell. Instead it puts a zero in the cell. If you move to cell 2,1 and type in 601 it will tell you its invalid and change it back to 501. That is what I would of thought it would do when you just swipe the 01 and delete it. It gives the message but doesnt cancel the edit. Again if I comment out the controladded event it works like I would think it should and if you delete the 01 it puts it back to 501 after the message. Any ideas on this or what is going on with it???

acceptchangestest.zip

19 Replies

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team May 3, 2006 07:20 AM UTC

Hi Phil, You need to handle the CurrentCellKeyDown event to store the Old cellvalue in a current cell and assign this value to current cell of the grid in Grid''s CurrentCellValidating event.Here is a code snippet. Private Sub gc1_CurrentCellValidating(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.ComponentModel.CancelEventArgs) Handles gc1.CurrentCellValidating Dim i As Single If Me.gc1.CurrentCell.RowIndex > 0 AndAlso Me.gc1.CurrentCell.ColIndex > 0 Then i = CSng(Me.gc1.CurrentCell.Renderer.ControlText) Select Case i Case 0, 501.0F To 532.0F Case Else MessageBox.Show("Cell value must be between 501 and 532." & ControlChars.CrLf & _ "The invalid value will be reset.", _ "QUASAR: Invalid Value Entered", MessageBoxButtons.OK, _ MessageBoxIcon.Warning) If Not cellText = String.Empty Then Me.gc1(Me.gc1.CurrentCell.RowIndex, Me.gc1.CurrentCell.ColIndex).Text = cellText End If gc1.CurrentCell.CancelEdit() gc1.CurrentCell.Refresh() e.Cancel = True End Select End If cellText = String.Empty End Sub Dim cellText As String = String.Empty Private Sub gc1_CurrentCellKeyDown(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Windows.Forms.KeyEventArgs) Handles gc1.CurrentCellKeyDown If e.KeyData = Keys.Delete Then cellText = Me.gc1(Me.gc1.CurrentCell.RowIndex, Me.gc1.CurrentCell.ColIndex).Text End If End Sub Here is a sample. http://www.syncfusion.com/Support/user/uploads/acceptchangestest_19aac91b.zip Please let me know if this helps. Thanks for your interest in Syncfusion Products. Best Regards, Haneef

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team May 3, 2006 02:12 PM UTC

So how come this is only an issue when I have the controladded event? If I comment it out it works fine?

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team May 3, 2006 02:31 PM UTC

Ok a few other things I have question about including my last question. How come it only is a problem when the control added event is in the code? Next your code doesnt work in all situations. For example if they click a header col cell like 0,1 and hit delete well then it puts the text I have in that header cell in to your celltext and then it blows up. I got around that by checking in keydown and verifying that it wasnt col or row 0. Is this the only way around this using keydown and again how come it only seems to be an issue when control added is in your code?

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team May 3, 2006 02:48 PM UTC

Is there another way to go about this? I''m finding I am going to have to keep track of this celltext all over the place now. I really would like to know why it doesnt work with control added and go from there.

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team May 4, 2006 05:14 AM UTC

Hi Philip, Sorry for the inconvenience caused. We are looking into this issue and get back to you very soon. Thanks for your patience. Regards, Haneef

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team May 8, 2006 02:29 PM UTC

Any news on this???

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team May 8, 2006 02:48 PM UTC

Phil, I did some tracing to find out what is the difference between those two code samples (with or without context menu). When you assign a context menu I noticed that a ProcessDialogKey message is being sent. If you do not have a context menu then it is not. You can add this override then you see the difference: Protected Overrides Function ProcessDialogKey(ByVal Key As Keys) As Boolean If Key = Keys.Delete Then Return True End If Return False End Function It looks as the context menu raises that method call. With the grid that means now that the Delete key is first sent to the grid instead of being sent first to the currency textbox. The grid then thinks the delete was not handled by the currency cell and acutally calls ClearCells. At that moment "0" is saved and commited to the style object. The following code makes it work when the ContextMenu was added. It ensure that the grids call to ClearCells does not have any effect in that case: Dim ignoreNextClear As Boolean = False Protected Overrides Function ProcessDialogKey(ByVal Key As Keys) As Boolean If Key = Keys.Delete And Me.gc1.CurrentCell.HasControlFocus Then ignoreNextClear = True End If Return False End Function Private Sub gc1_ClearingCells(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As Syncfusion.Windows.Forms.Grid.GridClearingCellsEventArgs) Handles gc1.ClearingCells If ignoreNextClear Then e.Handled = True e.Result = False End If ignoreNextClear = False End Sub Stefan >Hi Philip, > >Sorry for the inconvenience caused. > >We are looking into this issue and get back to you very soon. > >Thanks for your patience. > >Regards, >Haneef

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team May 8, 2006 03:23 PM UTC

Hey thanks for the quick reply. Before I go putting that code in the forms that need it, is there any other way I can get rid of the context menu on the forms that are affected that might in turn not cause it to act this way? Any other wide I can make it not work because doing the controladded?

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team May 10, 2006 03:38 PM UTC

Any thoughts on my last post????

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team May 12, 2006 07:10 PM UTC

Phil, sorry for the late reply but I revisited the topic multiple times and debugged into it and wasn''t sure if I should actually put the workaround into our codebase. I finally decided to do so. In upcoming builds the Currency TextBox will check if a ProcessDialogKey for the Delete key is raised while the cell is active and in such case tell the grid not to Clear the cells. I also recompiled the custom grid dll (v 4.1.0.601) I sent you earlier and with that code included. Please check if this fixes your problem. The assembly is here (1.1 and 2.0 framework) ftp://syncpatch.syncfusion.com/EssentialStudio/PrivateBuilds/Syncfusion_Grid_Windows_401_601_phil.zip Stefan

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team May 15, 2006 01:40 PM UTC

Ok I downloaded and installed or tried to install. Since It didnt include the 1.0 framwork which we dont use I deleted that out of the precopiled assemblies folder and copied in your 2 new dll''s in to its proper folder. Then after starting the assembly manager I noticed I couldnt read any of the text on the assembly manager screen where it says install or remove or remove all. It was all srunched down on mulitple lines. So I put back on the original version you sent me that had the 1.0 version and then again copied over the 1.1 and 2.0 fix you just sent. Now I could see everything fine in assembly manager. I did the remove all and then installed. So then I went in a currency cell. Got it in active edit mode. The value was 203 and a valid value is 201 to 232. I highlighted in active edit mode just the 03 and hit delete. Then when I moved off the cell it gave me my error message saying invalid but it still changed the cell to 0 instead of putting 203 back in it. So I guess I want to make sure I didnt do anything wrong in copying these over because if I didnt, it still appears not to of fixed what you wanted to fix. Any ideas?

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team May 15, 2006 01:57 PM UTC

One other thing I noticed that may or may not help. I noticed the size of the first dll you sent and the one you just made are the same size. Dont know if that helps at all but I was trying to make sure I did everything right on my end. Thanks.

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team May 17, 2006 12:56 PM UTC

Just wondered if you figured anything out on this?

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team May 19, 2006 07:03 PM UTC

Just making sure this didnt get lost in the 1000''s of questions you get.

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team May 21, 2006 02:35 PM UTC

Hi Phil, can you try with the 4.2 RC? The RC has been updated on the site. It can be downloaded from - http://www.syncfusion.com/Downloads/latestversion.aspx. You will have to obtain a new key from Direct-Trac (this should be up later tonight) or by sending an email to sales. I was waiting for this RC to be out before replying ... The RC also supports the RangeStyles serialization we discussed in another forum thread. Please let us know if you see any problems. Best regards, Stefan

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team May 22, 2006 02:30 PM UTC

Stefan, Hey that worked for me perfectly. I do have a couple of questions left. First this 4.2RC version is something I can release to clients? I really dont want to have to download another version when the final comes out and have to re-test everything all over again. Secondly when I first ran it on my project it wanted to do a fix it, but it appears it didnt do anything and it ran fine. Just wondered what that was about. Lastly when we first tested it, it was still putting in a zero. For example when 301 was valid and i would delete the 01 from 301 it would put a 0 in after my error message instead of putting back the 301. So I then commented out the clearing cells section and it worked fine. Is that how its suppose to work? We dont really need the clearning cells and the only reason we have it is because you guys told us to put it in back when nullstring wasnt working how it works today and since version 3. Early on you had us NOT use nullstring and then you changed how it all worked in version 3. Instead of using null string you had us put in the clearingcells event. Once 3 came out then when we would hit delete on a cell it would leave it blank on currency cells because we werent using nullstring. In versions before 3 it would put a zero and you changed that all in 3 and beyond so I am guessing we dont need the clearingcells at all anymore. Anyway I just thought I would let you know that it doesnt work with the clearning cells but does without it. Can you let me know? Thanks Phil

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team May 22, 2006 06:23 PM UTC

Hi Phil, the 4.2 release itself should be out really soon and I would suggest you uninstall/reinstall the final version. There are no changes planned in grid anymore but it will be easier for future support if you have the final version. With the fix I had in mind first for 4.1.0.601 - I am not sure what went wrong and so I thought it is best to try it right away with the 4.2 version. The "Fix It" / license error dialog will only occur if there is no licx in your project. If it is already there you won''t need to run "Fix It". There is no need for the workaround any more. The workaround itsself actually would cancel out the changes made in Currency Cell, so don''t use that any further. One further suggestion: I noticed when you delete the "01" so that "5" remains and you step off the cell by pressing the down arrow and afterwards press F2 or "Pos1/Home" key the "5" will reapear. You can avoid that by calling Initialize as shown in the following code: Private Sub gc1_CurrentCellValidating(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.ComponentModel.CancelEventArgs) Handles gc1.CurrentCellValidating Dim i As Single If Me.gc1.CurrentCell.RowIndex > 0 AndAlso Me.gc1.CurrentCell.ColIndex > 0 Then i = CSng(Me.gc1.CurrentCell.Renderer.ControlText) Select Case i Case 0, 501.0F To 532.0F Case Else MessageBox.Show("Cell value must be between 501 and 532." & ControlChars.CrLf & _ "The invalid value will be reset.", _ "QUASAR: Invalid Value Entered", MessageBoxButtons.OK, _ MessageBoxIcon.Warning) gc1.CurrentCell.CancelEdit() gc1.CurrentCell.Renderer.Initialize(gc1.CurrentCell.RowIndex, gc1.CurrentCell.ColIndex) e.Cancel = True End Select End If End Sub Stefan >Stefan, > >Hey that worked for me perfectly. I do have a couple of questions left. First this 4.2RC version is something I can release to clients? I really dont want to have to download another version when the final comes out and have to re-test everything all over again. Secondly when I first ran it on my project it wanted to do a fix it, but it appears it didnt do anything and it ran fine. Just wondered what that was about. Lastly when we first tested it, it was still putting in a zero. For example when 301 was valid and i would delete the 01 from 301 it would put a 0 in after my error message instead of putting back the 301. So I then commented out the clearing cells section and it worked fine. Is that how its suppose to work? We dont really need the clearning cells and the only reason we have it is because you guys told us to put it in back when nullstring wasnt working how it works today and since version 3. Early on you had us NOT use nullstring and then you changed how it all worked in version 3. Instead of using null string you had us put in the clearingcells event. Once 3 came out then when we would hit delete on a cell it would leave it blank on currency cells because we werent using nullstring. In versions before 3 it would put a zero and you changed that all in 3 and beyond so I am guessing we dont need the clearingcells at all anymore. Anyway I just thought I would let you know that it doesnt work with the clearning cells but does without it. Can you let me know? Thanks >Phil

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team May 22, 2006 06:55 PM UTC

Stefan, Thanks for the advice on waiting for the final version. I hadnt thought about that aspect of needing help that you brought up. They had told us on the phone hopefully by the end of the week or so, so I guess we will just wait. Thanks for catching the "F2" thing. We knew you could use F2 to get in to edit mode but never tried it in the scenario you did. Is that the ways its suppose to work without adding the initialize? What exactly does the initialize do? I just want to make sure it doesnt affect anything else. On the license file issue, we did have a license file but it was READ ONLY via source safe. So I dont know if that is what caused it. If there is no change and I already had one, does it need to be writable for the licensing check you do to work? Thanks Phil

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team May 24, 2006 03:44 PM UTC

Hi Phil, no a rebuild all for the project is normally all that should be needed. If not then cleaning out the obj folder is a good idea to make sure the license resource gets recompiled. If the licx itsself is readonly that does not matter. It only matters that is included as embedded resource in your project. Stefan >Stefan, > >Thanks for the advice on waiting for the final version. I hadnt thought about that aspect of needing help that you brought up. They had told us on the phone hopefully by the end of the week or so, so I guess we will just wait. > >Thanks for catching the "F2" thing. We knew you could use F2 to get in to edit mode but never tried it in the scenario you did. Is that the ways its suppose to work without adding the initialize? What exactly does the initialize do? I just want to make sure it doesnt affect anything else. > >On the license file issue, we did have a license file but it was READ ONLY via source safe. So I dont know if that is what caused it. If there is no change and I already had one, does it need to be writable for the licensing check you do to work? > >Thanks >Phil > >

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon