We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date

First day questions and issues.

Hi all. I have been coding with the chart library for four days now, and collected a set of comments and “How to” questions that I would like to list here. I would appreciate any feedback. If a code snippet is required to fully understand my question, please ask and you shell receive. How-to? • X axis align with my data – no padding, but although I set the rangepaddingtype to none, I still have padding (it’s a datetime type of axis). What I’m doing wrong? • “Load” points to a series from a double array. First, I iterated over the array and inserted the points one by one. Then I implemented the IChartSeriesModel interface, but surprisingly not only I didn’t save time by using the interface, it takes even longer with the “interface method” to get the data into the series. Is there a way to do it faster? • I would like to manually set an interval but keep the interval automatic. Using the MinMaxInfo I have to specify an interval because it has only one ctor. Is there a walk around? • I would like to add a “%” sign to the Y axis label (so that labels will be , “30%” , “50%” etc). I saw a previous post, regarding the chartformataxislabel event (we I use successfully) but I wonder if there is a simpler way to use the format property of the axis (gets a string) to make this kind of simple manipulation, and save the event calls. Comments • I’m missing a “Tag” property for the chart objects (especially for the series object). This property is useful to attach my own object to the series that describe it and in the simple case can save my deriving from “your” class just to add this “link”. • “Clickable” legend. A legend where each series have a checkbox that the user can check or uncheck and the proper series will be drawn/erase from the chart control (playing with the visibility of the series, not adding or removing it from the model). • There are two sources of help information in the web site. The evaluation center with some code and the forum with a lot of useful answers from Syncfusion’s staff. A unified search option can be very practical, so when the user (myself) is looking for information, he doesn’t have to look for it twice. Thanks Amit To help in future search : Tag property , IChartSeriesModel , Clickable legend , MinMaxInfo , interval , format labeling.

8 Replies

AW Amit Weisman April 14, 2006 12:06 PM UTC

Well ?

DJ Davis Jebaraj Syncfusion Team April 16, 2006 04:39 PM UTC

Hi Amit, Sorry about the delay in responding. How To 1. X axis align with my data: The RangePaddingType is what you need. I tested this property with a DateTime type axis and see the problem. I will send this to the developers and have them look into it. 2.“Load” points to a series - Using the custom implementation of IChartSeriesModel helps to separate your data from the chart and does not duplicate the data. It will not result in any reductions in initialization time as the chart uses a similar implementation of the model anyway. 3. Manual range: I ma looking into this and will get back to you by tomorrow. 4. Append % to labels: You can set the Format property of the axis to be #\% Comments Comments 1. “Tag” property : We can add a tag object to the ChartSeries class. 2.“Clickable” legend. : This is possible. Please try the ChartControl.Legend.VisibleCheckBox property. 3. Unify forums and eval center search: Thanks for the suggestion. i have send this to our website team and they will be implemnting it asa soon as possible. Thanks, Davis

GM Geetha M Syncfusion Team April 17, 2006 08:56 AM UTC

Hi Amit, To manually set the interval, please try setting the DesiredIntervals which will set the number of intervals for the specified axis. The following code illustrates this: this.ChartControl.PrimaryYAxis.DesiredIntervals = 4; Please let me know if this helps you. Regards, Geetha

AW Amit Weisman April 17, 2006 12:55 PM UTC

Hi Davis and Geetha. Thanks for your reply. How to: 1. You guys check it. 2. I attach a project (C# - WindowsApplication10) that I think compare the two options (directly assign points to the series against using the interface to probe an existing data structure with the points). On my PC (I run it only on one PC, with a single CPU) the “interface” option is always considerably slower then the “direct” approach. These results are contrary to my intuition (and your reply). Please let me know if I measure the time correctly or what should I do differently to get the points to the chart faster – currently I wait too much to get a chart on the screen. 3. I don’t think the DesiredIntervals is what I am looking for. Let me recap – please correct me if I’m wrong. If I want to have an automatic range but control the number of intervals I should use the DesiredIntervals property, but what I want is to set the range (min, max) and let “you” set the intervals automatically. I can do it manually but afraid that for some values I don’t get a “nice” spread of labels. Attached a small example (C#, WindowsApplication14) which illustrates the problem. 4. I used the “#\%” format, but get a lonely “%” sign for 0%. I’d rather get a “0%” or nothing instead. A “%” has no meaning. You can get the same result when playing with the basic graph on design time. Comments: 1. Thanks 2. This is what I was looking for. Thanks. 3. I found the “knowledgebase”; You might as well add this source of information to the consolidated search engine too. Thanks. Thanks again. Amit

syncfusionExamples01.zip

GM Geetha M Syncfusion Team April 18, 2006 11:32 AM UTC

Hi Amit, Thanks for the samples. 2. Please find attached the modified sample (WindowsApplication10) which shows almost same time duration to load the points using the direct approach and implementing interface. Your way of measuring the time is correct. I have included the necessary codes to make the chart to plot faster. It will help you to render the chart faster in case if you are using any advanced features like styles, tooltips etc. 3. I feel sorry for misunderstanding the problem. To set the minimum and maximum and let the interval to set automatically, please try setting the Min and Max properties of the particular axis. Please find attached the modified sample WindowsApplication14 which illustrates this. syncfusionExamples01.zip 4. Please try setting the format of the axis as "0%". This will let you to display the axis labels in percentage including 0. Kindly let me know if this helps you. Regards, Geetha

AW Amit Weisman April 18, 2006 02:40 PM UTC

Hi Geetha. Thanks for your examples. I guess the % and range issues are all set (these are minor issues which my team can take care of later). The main issue is the long time to get a graph rendered on the screen. I read your example. I do use tooltips, so disabling the styles is not relevant. The Indexed property is false as default so no gain there either. I changed the series properties to be with no style or shadows but to no avail. The bottom line is that currently plotting a 6 series (100 points each) chart takes more then 2 seconds. This is too slow. I need the graph faster. It looks strange that the “copy all points and then plot the chart” method is faster (although your changes made the margin smaller) then the “I’ve implemented the interface all the points are already there” method. I would expect the interface method to be faster. Something is wrong there. Another question, what kind of issues do you want to see on the forum opposed to issues that belong to the Direct-Trac system ? Thanks Amit

GM Geetha M Syncfusion Team April 19, 2006 01:46 PM UTC

Hi Amit, I am afraid that I am not able to reproduce this problem. I have attached a simple sample using which I tested for this. If possible could you please try reproducing the condition with this sample application illustrating your way of adding points to the chart and send back to me so that it would help me to find a better solution? F42925.zip Regards, Geetha

AW Amit Weisman April 19, 2006 05:08 PM UTC

I can''t do it now, and in any case it will take some time to simulate my charts outside of the application. I''ll try and be more specific tomorrow. Thanks (still waiting for the padding issue when the x axes is datetime) .

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon