We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date

Crazy Visual Studio Crash Caused By Bar Items

Hi there, I am creating the menus for an mdi application. We have MainForm (the mdi parent) and a number of child forms inheriting BaseForm. Both have bar items. For a long time we could not open the designer on our forms - but this problem is now fixed. I tried to design one particular child form in which I had added menu items programatically. Strange things happened, so I went back into code , removed all the items, and started again. However, once I started putting the menu items in toolbars and menus, visual studio 2005 started crashing constantly. Every time I tried to open the form in designer it crashed. Every time I built the project it crashed. I managed to get a message from the broken designer at one point that hinted at the fact that BarItems were to blame. Just now, during a build, I got this error: "The "GenerateResource" task failed unexpectedly. System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Type in the data at line 1628, position 5, cannot be loaded because it threw the following exception during construction: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. ---> System.Xml.XmlException: Type in the data at line 1628, position 5, cannot be loaded because it threw the following exception during construction: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. Line 1628, position 5. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. at Syncfusion.Windows.Forms.Tools.XPMenus.BarItem.set_Manager(BarManager value) at Syncfusion.Windows.Forms.Tools.XPMenus.BarItem..ctor(SerializationInfo info, StreamingContext context) --- End of inner exception stack trace --- --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at Microsoft.Build.Shared.ExceptionHandling.RethrowUnlessFileIO(Exception e) at Microsoft.Build.Tasks.ProcessResourceFiles.ProcessFile(String inFile, String outFile) at Microsoft.Build.Tasks.ProcessResourceFiles.Run(TaskLoggingHelper log, ITaskItem[] assemblyFilesList, ArrayList inputs, ArrayList outputs, Boolean sourcePath, String language, String namespacename, String filename, String classname, Boolean publicClass) at Microsoft.Build.Tasks.GenerateResource.Execute() at Microsoft.Build.BuildEngine.TaskEngine.ExecuteTask(ExecutionMode howToExecuteTask, Hashtable projectItemsAvailableToTask, BuildPropertyGroup projectPropertiesAvailableToTask, Boolean& taskClassWasFound)" I can''t see what I am doing wrong. I didn''t have this problem in any other form. The only thing I could think of would be the fact that I am putting some BarItems under multiple different ParentBarItems. Would this cause problems? Thanks, TERRY ROSSOW

1 Reply

MJ Mano J Syncfusion Team March 17, 2006 04:55 AM UTC

Hi Terry, Sorry for the delay in responding. I will look into this issue and update you shortly. Thanks for your patience. Regards, Mano

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon