We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date

XPMenus Disappearing in 4.1

We recently upgraded from version 2.1.0.9 to version 4.101.0.50. On our MainForm there is an XP Menus control- a Main Menu, a Toolbar, and a Status Bar. Ever since the upgrade, as soon as myself or any of the other developers go to modifiy the form- in anyway- and save it we get the following errors: ''BarManagerConverter'' is unable to convert ''Syncfusion.Windows.Forms.Tools.XPMenus.MainFrameBarManager'' to ''System.ComponentModel.Design.Serialization.InstanceDescriptor''. ''BarTypeConverter'' is unable to convert ''Syncfusion.Windows.Forms.Tools.XPMenus.Bar'' to ''System.ComponentModel.Design.Serialization.InstanceDescriptor''. After the form is closed and then reloaded into the designer all of the XPMenus controls are GONE. As always, I need a solution to this YESTERDAY so any help would be greately appreciated! I have run the Resx converter for .NET 1.1 (the version of the Framework we are compiling against) and it has done nothing to help the MainForm where the XPMenus controls are. Please Help! Thanks, Fred

4 Replies

MJ Mano J Syncfusion Team February 13, 2006 04:09 AM UTC

Hi Fred, We regret for the inconvenience caused. I have tested this issue by creating a sample in v.2.1.0.9 using Menus and upgrade to v.4.1.0.50. For some reason, I am unable to reproduce this issue. Could you please just check whether the references in your application contains both .Windows and .Base references of v.4.101.0.50 for 1.1 Framework. If not, please remove the old references and add new references from path [C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\Common7\IDE\PublicAssemblies\..]. Also, remove the files in the Isolated Storage folder[C:\Documents and Settings\[USER]\Local Settings\Application Data\IsolatedStorage]. Then compile the application and open the designer. All the barItems should be in place. Please let me know if you run into any problems. Thanks for your patience. Regards, Mano

FR Fred February 13, 2006 01:23 PM UTC

All of the references to Syncfusion are either .Base or .Windows. In fact, all 2.1.0.9 assemblies have been completely removed from all of our systems. Can you tell me what these Designer Errors mean? Perhaps that will help. As soon as I do anything at all to that form (and save) the errors appear. When the form is reloaded, all XPMenus are gone. I have also tried clearing the Isolated Storage, that did nothing.

MJ Mano J Syncfusion Team February 13, 2006 02:43 PM UTC

Hi Fred, Incorrect references are often the cause of problems like this. Delete the bin and obj files in your application and open the application. Please check whether all the references'' CopyLocal property is set to false. Since CopyLocal=true results in a copy of the .dll being copied to the bin folder, this often causes VS .NET to inconsistently reference .dlls. Regards, Mano

FR Fred February 15, 2006 03:23 PM UTC

After a little digging and some other associated problems, I found the source of the issue. To enable themes in the VS2003 IDE, you have to use a manifest file. That being said, Microsoft broke backwards compatability issues with the Common Controls Image List 6.0 control- Version 5.0 of the CommCtrls image list won''t load a resource stream generated by version 6.0. The icons that we had displayed on the XPMenus were contained in an Image List and one of our machines had a devenv.exe.manifest file specifiying version 6. This issue also affects resource generation with nAnt, as nAnt uses ResGen.exe provided by the .NET SDK, and resgen does not have a manifest file specified. nAnt will throw Target of Invokation exceptions when it tries to read a resource stream generated by version 6 (of the Image List- the XP version). To fix nAnt and our IDE''s [to allow for Themed development] I added the manifest files to all of our development machines (seeing as how any image lists generated with v6 would be useless otherwise). To fix nAnt, I added a manifest file to ResGen and that fixed our build. When I got done with all that, it turns out that the 2 errosrs I was getting about the bar manager were at least indirectly related to the IDE''s inability to load the image list- it just happened to be bad timing with the 2.1.0.9 upgrade. If you are facing "An Exception has been thrown by the Target of Invokation" exceptions like I was, check the version of the common controsl you are loading- with nAnt. If you are experiencing weird issues with Image Lists and unhelpful "Failed to load ImageList" exceptions, check the manifest file associated with devenv.exe (in Program Files\MSVS2003\Common7\IDE).

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon