We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date

4.1.0.50 ?''s

We have a few questions after just now installing the new final release of 41050 of the grid. First thing we noticed was that in the GAC folder we have versions 4.101.0.50 of everything and 4.100.0.50 of everything. We upgraded from 3110 and noticed all the entries for that was gone. First why is there double entries for version 4 meaning 4.101.0.50 and 4.100.0.50 of everything? Secondly we went in to an app that was built with 3110 and rebuilt it and it still works. How does it still build when 3110 is no longer in my GAC but the references in that project point to 3110? We are going to need to be able to code and debug in 3110 and the new 4.1(whichever number that is) for awhile and want to make sure we understand how its working and whats installed where now. Lastly I noticed when adding references that it only shows the 4.101.0.50 version so I''m assuming thats the newest but still dont understand why there is the other version also in my GAC. I also notice 3110 is still in the add references but again that is missing from my GAC. Could you please explain that. Thanks

9 Replies

ST stanleyj Syncfusion Team January 24, 2006 04:59 PM UTC

Hi Philip, 4.101.0.50 refers to 1.1 Framework and 4.100.0.50 refers to 1.0 framework. You can make use of the assembly manager to switch over versions, so all related references will be managed by the Assembly Manger to be placed in the GAC. 4.1 Assembly Manager has taken a different shape, please read through that in this thread. Best regards, Stanley

PB Philip Bishop January 24, 2006 05:34 PM UTC

Ok I think maybe I didnt ask that properly. I know that the assembly manager is differnt now. We had 3110 installed period. We then put on the new 4.1 final verison today. In the new assembly manager no where does it say 3110. No where in the GAC does it list 3110. My question is how are my 3110 apps still working and rebuilding when there is no GAC reference to them. When we went from 2 to 3110 we had version 2 in the gac and version 3 in the gac. I am just trying to understand how 3 is running and will continue to run when there are no references to it now in the gac?

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team January 24, 2006 06:54 PM UTC

Hi Phil, you can run the 4.x Assembly Manager and select "Remove All Versions" and then run the 3.x Assembly Manager and install the version you want into the GAC. If you run into issues after that with licx generation while compiling, then you could hard-code the 3.x version in the licenses.licx file, but that is only necessary if devstudio picks up a wrong version for some reason. Daniel will also post a note that will explain switching between 3.x and 4.x in more detail. Stefan >Ok I think maybe I didnt ask that properly. I know that the assembly manager is differnt now. We had 3110 installed period. We then put on the new 4.1 final verison today. In the new assembly manager no where does it say 3110. No where in the GAC does it list 3110. My question is how are my 3110 apps still working and rebuilding when there is no GAC reference to them. When we went from 2 to 3110 we had version 2 in the gac and version 3 in the gac. I am just trying to understand how 3 is running and will continue to run when there are no references to it now in the gac?

PB Philip Bishop January 24, 2006 06:59 PM UTC

I just want to know how its working since there is no v3 gac entries only v4. The license file does still say 3110 but I thought you had to have the gac files also?

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team January 24, 2006 07:27 PM UTC

Hi Phil, Visual Studio does not care much about the GAC when compiling your files. Visual Studio only looks in the PublicAssemblies folder or other folders that are specified in the registry in the following key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\7.1\AssemblyFolders However, when running the designer or creating licx file and no concrete assembly version is specified in the licx then Visual Studio picks up assemblies from the GAC. Also, in your project you can force Visual Studio to pick up assemblies from a cetain folder when you go to Project properties and add a folder to the "Reference Paths". Once a project was compiled with a strong signed assembly it will always load the assembly with a matching version from the GAC or the same folder as your exe. But the assembly it loads must match the version the exe was linked to. Stefan

PB Philip Bishop January 24, 2006 07:30 PM UTC

Cool thanks. Thats all I wanted to know. I think I just had to explain myself a little better.

WP Winfried Peter January 27, 2006 01:03 PM UTC

Hi Stefan, is the note about switching between 3.x and 4.x already available? We would like to configure our machines to use version 3.2 for VS.NET 2003-based projects and 4.1 for VS2005-based projects. How would this be done? Winfried >Hi Phil, > >you can run the 4.x Assembly Manager and select "Remove All Versions" and then run the 3.x Assembly Manager and install the version you want into the GAC. > >If you run into issues after that with licx generation while compiling, then you could hard-code the 3.x version in the licenses.licx file, but that is only necessary if devstudio picks up a wrong version for some reason. > >Daniel will also post a note that will explain switching between 3.x and 4.x in more detail. > >Stefan > >>Ok I think maybe I didnt ask that properly. I know that the assembly manager is differnt now. We had 3110 installed period. We then put on the new 4.1 final verison today. In the new assembly manager no where does it say 3110. No where in the GAC does it list 3110. My question is how are my 3110 apps still working and rebuilding when there is no GAC reference to them. When we went from 2 to 3110 we had version 2 in the gac and version 3 in the gac. I am just trying to understand how 3 is running and will continue to run when there are no references to it now in the gac?

DJ Daniel Jebaraj Syncfusion Team January 27, 2006 01:26 PM UTC

Hi Winfried, This is not easily possible (but definitely possible). What would have to be done is to create a batch file that will use the command line version of the assembly manager to switch between 4.1 and 3.3. It would require that you run it everytime you switch to 2003 or 2005. We will create a KB article on this and post it later today (and will link to it here). Best regards, Daniel >Hi Stefan, > >is the note about switching between 3.x and 4.x already available? >We would like to configure our machines to use version 3.2 for VS.NET 2003-based projects and 4.1 for VS2005-based projects. How would this be done? > >Winfried > >>Hi Phil, >> >>you can run the 4.x Assembly Manager and select "Remove All Versions" and then run the 3.x Assembly Manager and install the version you want into the GAC. >> >>If you run into issues after that with licx generation while compiling, then you could hard-code the 3.x version in the licenses.licx file, but that is only necessary if devstudio picks up a wrong version for some reason. >> >>Daniel will also post a note that will explain switching between 3.x and 4.x in more detail. >> >>Stefan >> >>>Ok I think maybe I didnt ask that properly. I know that the assembly manager is differnt now. We had 3110 installed period. We then put on the new 4.1 final verison today. In the new assembly manager no where does it say 3110. No where in the GAC does it list 3110. My question is how are my 3110 apps still working and rebuilding when there is no GAC reference to them. When we went from 2 to 3110 we had version 2 in the gac and version 3 in the gac. I am just trying to understand how 3 is running and will continue to run when there are no references to it now in the gac?

DJ Daniel Jebaraj Syncfusion Team January 28, 2006 11:56 AM UTC

Hi Winfried, 1) Rename the folder Essential Studio\3.3.0.0\Utilities\Assembly Manager to be "Assembly Manager Old". 2) Copy the assembly manager folder, Essential Studio\4.1.0.50\Utilities\Assembly Manager to Essential Studio\3.3.0.0\Utilities. 3) If you are using excelrw in version 3.3 of Essential Studio please open the file assemblies.ini under the newly copied folder and replace xlsio with excelrw (these assemblies were renamed in version 4.1). 4) Copy the enclosed batch file to3_3.bat to Essential Studio\3.3.0.0\Utilities\Assembly Manager. 5) Copy the enclosed batch file to4_1.bat to Essential Studio\4.1.0.50\Utilities\Assembly Manager. Link to these batch files from a convenient location and run them each time you wish to switch to either version. The console version of the assembly manager uses relative paths. Please ensure that the working directory is always Utilities\Assembly Manager if you modify the batch files. We will in future provide a separate utility that can switch using the console version of the assembly manager. Thank you for using Syncfusion Essential Studio. Best regards, Daniel >Hi Stefan, > >is the note about switching between 3.x and 4.x already available? >We would like to configure our machines to use version 3.2 for VS.NET 2003-based projects and 4.1 for VS2005-based projects. How would this be done? > >Winfried > >>Hi Phil, >> >>you can run the 4.x Assembly Manager and select "Remove All Versions" and then run the 3.x Assembly Manager and install the version you want into the GAC. >> >>If you run into issues after that with licx generation while compiling, then you could hard-code the 3.x version in the licenses.licx file, but that is only necessary if devstudio picks up a wrong version for some reason. >> >>Daniel will also post a note that will explain switching between 3.x and 4.x in more detail. >> >>Stefan >> >>>Ok I think maybe I didnt ask that properly. I know that the assembly manager is differnt now. We had 3110 installed period. We then put on the new 4.1 final verison today. In the new assembly manager no where does it say 3110. No where in the GAC does it list 3110. My question is how are my 3110 apps still working and rebuilding when there is no GAC reference to them. When we went from 2 to 3110 we had version 2 in the gac and version 3 in the gac. I am just trying to understand how 3 is running and will continue to run when there are no references to it now in the gac?

switch.zip

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon