We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date

ClickOnce deployment

I am looking at using ClickOnce deployment for my application. This is the first time I''ve tried this and am getting a bit lost. As far as I can see I need a package containing the SyncFusion assemblies to put in \Program files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\SDK\v2.0\BootStrapper\Packages\SyncFusion_a.b.c together with appropriate package.xml and product.xml files. I then need to add the Syncfusion package as a prerequisite to my project (in project properties/Publish...) and publish my app. The ClickOnce infrastructure will insure the prerequisites get installed first so everything should be fine. Assuming that this is basically correct I need an installer package containing the Syncfusion assemblies that preferably just puts them into the client''s GAC. Does such an install package exist? If not how do you recommend I create one, I''ve tries to use VS2005 create an MSI (also something I’m new to) but this seemed to be trickier than expected so I decided to make this post before pursuing this further. In case I change my mind about the ClickOnce stuff do you have any general recommendation on deploying your libraries to client machines. Many thanks Jules

18 Replies

AN Anonymouse July 11, 2006 12:50 PM UTC

Hi, I''m having these same difficulties getting the prerequisites deployed too. Please advise. >I am looking at using ClickOnce deployment for my application. This is the first time I''ve tried this and am getting a bit lost. As far as I can see I need a package containing the SyncFusion assemblies to put in \Program files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\SDK\v2.0\BootStrapper\Packages\SyncFusion_a.b.c together with appropriate package.xml and product.xml files. I then need to add the Syncfusion package as a prerequisite to my project (in project properties/Publish...) and publish my app. The ClickOnce infrastructure will insure the prerequisites get installed first so everything should be fine. >Assuming that this is basically correct I need an installer package containing the Syncfusion assemblies that preferably just puts them into the client''s GAC. Does such an install package exist? If not how do you recommend I create one, I''ve tries to use VS2005 create an MSI (also something I’m new to) but this seemed to be trickier than expected so I decided to make this post before pursuing this further. >In case I change my mind about the ClickOnce stuff do you have any general recommendation on deploying your libraries to client machines. > >Many thanks > >Jules >

DJ Daniel Jebaraj Syncfusion Team July 21, 2006 06:28 PM UTC

Hi,

We have a working sample. Someone will post an update by Monday.

Thank you for choosing Syncfusion products.

Best regards,
Daniel

>Hi,
>
>I''m having these same difficulties getting the prerequisites deployed too. Please advise.
>
>
>
>>I am looking at using ClickOnce deployment for my application. This is the first time I''ve tried this and am getting a bit lost. As far as I can see I need a package containing the SyncFusion assemblies to put in \Program files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\SDK\v2.0\BootStrapper\Packages\SyncFusion_a.b.c together with appropriate package.xml and product.xml files. I then need to add the Syncfusion package as a prerequisite to my project (in project properties/Publish...) and publish my app. The ClickOnce infrastructure will insure the prerequisites get installed first so everything should be fine.
>>Assuming that this is basically correct I need an installer package containing the Syncfusion assemblies that preferably just puts them into the client''s GAC. Does such an install package exist? If not how do you recommend I create one, I''ve tries to use VS2005 create an MSI (also something I’m new to) but this seemed to be trickier than expected so I decided to make this post before pursuing this further.
>>In case I change my mind about the ClickOnce stuff do you have any general recommendation on deploying your libraries to client machines.
>>
>>Many thanks
>>
>>Jules
>>

DJ Daniel Jebaraj Syncfusion Team July 24, 2006 10:27 PM UTC

Hi,

We need an additional day on this. We will post an update tomorrow.

Thank you for your patience.

Best regards,
Daniel

SG Sean Greer July 27, 2006 04:52 PM UTC

How are we doing on that sample? I''d like to explore using ClickOnce and need to know how the Syncfusion components will play in that environment.

DJ Daniel Jebaraj Syncfusion Team July 28, 2006 03:21 AM UTC

Hi Sean,

We have prepared samples for two different scenarios. We will post at least one tomorrow. The other is likely to be posted by Monday.

Best regards,
Daniel

>
How are we doing on that sample? I''d like to explore using ClickOnce and need to know how the Syncfusion components will play in that environment.

VS Vijayanand S Syncfusion Team July 28, 2006 08:09 PM UTC

Hi Jules/Sean,

Sorry for the delay in responding.

We recommend you to achieve the ClickOnce deployment on your Client machine in the following two approaches,

Prerequisite approach :

We have created a MSI File(Prerequisite Installer) using VS.NET which installs Syncfusion Libraries into GAC. The Installer will set a registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Syncfusion\SyncAssemblySetup\Version with 4.2.0.37 to prevent the installer to install it again.

Here is the sample link :
http://www2.syncfusion.com/testapp/TreeViewAdvDemo_1/publish.htm.

Note: There will be a problem after installing VS2005 assemblies into GAC using MSI file. It cannot be uninstalled manually from GAC. We need to create a uninstall MSI file to remove from GAC.

Pure ClickOnce Approach :

In this case, the Syncfusion libraries are also pulled down and installed by the Click Once runtime (the runtime takes care that a new version is automatically pulled down). However, one caveat is that the user needs to run a small stub MSI file that adds appropriate security permissions for the Syncfusion assemblies (since our assemblies require full trust). In that case the user does not have to change their security policy on a blanket basis. The MSI Installer creates the right permissions as a pre-requisite for the application (merging approach 2 with 1).

We will post a sample for the second approach on or before Monday. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Vijay

VS Vijayanand S Syncfusion Team August 2, 2006 07:49 PM UTC

Hi Jules/Sean,

Here is the sample for prerequisite approach :

Sample

TreeViewAdvDemo_1.zip

We need two more days to post a sample for second approach. Thanks for your patience.

Regards,
Vijay

SG Sean Greer August 3, 2006 04:03 PM UTC

Vijay,

Thanks for your work on this. I am definitely looking for the second approach and will wait for the next sample.

Thanks again,

Sean

VS Vijayanand S Syncfusion Team August 10, 2006 08:14 PM UTC

Hi Sean,

Sorry for the delay in posting sample for second approach. We will try to post the sample on or before tomorrow evening.

Thanks for your patience.

Regards,
Vijay

GM Geetha M Syncfusion Team August 23, 2006 12:48 PM UTC

Hi Jules/Sean,
We regret for the delay in posting sample for the second approach.
We have created a MSI file using VS.NET which sets appropriate permission for the syncfusion assemblies based on the installed url. This installer will set a registry key at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Syncfusion\SyncfusionAssemblySetup\Version with 4.2.0.37 to prevent the installer to install it again.
Sample Link:
http://www2.syncfusion.com/TestApplication/TreeViewAdvDemo/publish.htm
Source.zip
TreeViewAdvDemo.zip
Please let me know if you have any questions.
Regards,
Geetha

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team November 18, 2006 09:35 PM UTC

Hi,

The TreeViewAdvDemo.zip file is coming up corrupted when I download. Can you please re-upload?

Thanks!

>
>Hi Jules/Sean,

>
>We regret for the delay in posting sample for the second approach.

>
>We have created a MSI file using VS.NET which sets appropriate permission for the syncfusion assemblies based on the installed url. This installer will set a registry key at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Syncfusion\SyncfusionAssemblySetup\Version with 4.2.0.37 to prevent the installer to install it again.

>
>Sample Link:

>http://www2.syncfusion.com/TestApplication/TreeViewAdvDemo/publish.htm

>
>Source.zip

>
>TreeViewAdvDemo.zip

>
>Please let me know if you have any questions.

>
>Regards,

>Geetha

GM Geetha M Syncfusion Team November 20, 2006 07:02 AM UTC

Hi Tim,

I regret for the inconvenience caused.

Please download the TreeViewAdvDemo from the following link:

TreeViewAdvDemo.zip

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,
Geetha

UU uuu999nik May 1, 2007 11:15 PM UTC

I am having same problem. Please post full source code for AdvTreeView Demo.
Thank you.

>I am looking at using ClickOnce deployment for my application. This is the first time I've tried this and am getting a bit lost. As far as I can see I need a package containing the SyncFusion assemblies to put in \Program files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\SDK\v2.0\BootStrapper\Packages\SyncFusion_a.b.c together with appropriate package.xml and product.xml files. I then need to add the Syncfusion package as a prerequisite to my project (in project properties/Publish...) and publish my app. The ClickOnce infrastructure will insure the prerequisites get installed first so everything should be fine.
>Assuming that this is basically correct I need an installer package containing the Syncfusion assemblies that preferably just puts them into the client's GAC. Does such an install package exist? If not how do you recommend I create one, I've tries to use VS2005 create an MSI (also something I’m new to) but this seemed to be trickier than expected so I decided to make this post before pursuing this further.
>In case I change my mind about the ClickOnce stuff do you have any general recommendation on deploying your libraries to client machines.
>
>Many thanks
>
>Jules
>

DD Dave Daniels May 2, 2007 10:28 PM UTC

If you are going to only have one application and you are not using all of the assemblies, then you could try this approach. It has worked in our ClickOnce deployment consistently.
1 - Open the project properties.
2 - Open the publish tab.
3 - Click Application Files button.
4 - Select "Include" on the SyncFusion assemblies listed.
5 - Publish.

Like I said, it is working for us with no problems. ClickOnce will only download what it needs.

Properties1.zip

UU uuu999nik May 3, 2007 03:23 PM UTC

I don't have any errors when publishing and installing using my local host sample Grid.Windows\Samples\Quick Start\Excel Export\GridControl\VB.
But when I ran it I got an error:

An unhandled exception of type 'System.ArgumentException' occurred in mscorlib.dll
Additional information: Empty path name is not legal
I would appreciate any help.
Thank you.

Additional information: Empty path name is not legal.

>If you are going to only have one application and you are not using all of the assemblies, then you could try this approach. It has worked in our ClickOnce deployment consistently.
1 - Open the project properties.
2 - Open the publish tab.
3 - Click Application Files button.
4 - Select "Include" on the SyncFusion assemblies listed.
5 - Publish.

Like I said, it is working for us with no problems. ClickOnce will only download what it needs.

Properties1.zip

DD Dave Daniels May 3, 2007 09:02 PM UTC

I blanked out my paths in the image. You have to make sure all of your install paths are correct for the project. Thats a pretty vague error but since logic is involved I would say check everything in the project properties screen.

DD Dave Daniels May 3, 2007 09:11 PM UTC

Thinking too far ahead on the last post. Look in the code and see if it is looking for a specific path. Could be an embedded path that it is trying to open for output. I looked in my samples but I did not see that one.

RR Ramya R Syncfusion Team May 17, 2007 09:09 AM UTC

Hi ,

We apologize for the delay in responding to you.

I was able to reproduce the issue that you have mentioned here. I used the ExcelExport_GridControl sample (Syncfusion\EssentialStudio\5.1.0.51\Windows\Grid.Windows\Samples\2.0\Serialization\ExcelExport_GridControl\vb) to reproduce this issue.

In this sample, a icon file inside a folder named "Icon" is used and this error occurs when this Icon folder is not included to the project while it is deployed.

I hope your facing this problem due to the same condition as said above (files not included) when the project is deployed. So kindly check whether you have included all the essential files or folders to the project and then deploy it and try running the exe of the sample.

Kindly let me know if the problem still persists.

Also please let us know if you have further queries.

Thanks & Regards,
Ramya.

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon