We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date

Virtual Grid and Files

I have a table that is too large to store in memory and need a way to display the table in a grid. If I dump the data to a file (xml, csv, etc), would it be possible to use the Virtual Grid and have the file be the data source for the grid? If so, does anyone have any samples? Thanks, Chad

5 Replies

ST stanleyj Syncfusion Team January 12, 2006 10:17 AM UTC

Hi Chad, Here is a sample with virtual grid using an xml file as data source. Best regards, Stanley

CE Chad Elliot January 12, 2006 02:36 PM UTC

Thanks for the sample, but that wasn''t quite what I was looking for. The sample loads the xml file into a data set object. I need a way to read the file without using a data set object. I am developing in a Terminal Server environment and if I load the data into a dataset, it will use too much memory. I need a grid that can load partial data sets directly from a file or SQL Server without loading the entire data set into memory.

ST stanleyj Syncfusion Team January 16, 2006 07:06 AM UTC

Hi Chad, Here is a little sample that simulates paging data in 200 hundred row pages. Doing this, working with 1,000,000,000 has the same effort as working with 10000 rows. Of course, the performance with be related to how fast you can load a page from your data source. In the sample, these pages are generated in code so they are done relatively quickly. The sample uses a 200-row DataTable as its virtual data source. Best Regards, Stanley

CE Chad Elliot January 17, 2006 08:39 PM UTC

The link to your sample appears to be broken, but if it is the same as the Virtual Grid Tutorial from your Windows Forms Sample, it still is not what I am looking for. I understand how to make the virtual grid work when you have a data source loaded into memory. I was hoping someone might have a sample of how to pull data out of a flat file by row and column so I could use it with the virtual grid. I need help writing code to read from a file, not how to use the virtual grid. I understand that this is not the correct forum for getting help with the VB.NET language, but I was hoping someone who had used your virtual grid might have already done this.

ST stanleyj Syncfusion Team January 18, 2006 04:11 AM UTC

Hi Chad, Sorry for the broken link, I have attached the VB version. Thanks, Stanley

VB_Sample.zip

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon