We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date

invalid char in front of +

What does this error message mean? it occurs anytime I use a named range in a formula. Even something as simple as =NamedRangeOne+NamedRangeTwo causes the error.

10 Replies

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team December 29, 2005 06:24 AM UTC

Hi Brian, I was not able to reproduce the error in this sample.Calculate_Excel.zip. Could you please reproduce the error in this sample.Please provide your Version details also. Thanks for choosing and using Syncfusion Products. Best Regards, Jeba.

BJ Brian J. Burnett December 29, 2005 08:29 AM UTC

I can''t talk c# so I can''t talk to the code parts of your sample. However, looking at the spreadsheet it does not used NAMED ranges. Only cell references. >Hi Brian, >I was not able to reproduce the error in this sample.Calculate_Excel.zip. Could you please reproduce the error in this sample.Please provide your Version details also. > >Thanks for choosing and using Syncfusion Products. > >Best Regards, >Jeba.

BJ Brian J. Burnett December 29, 2005 09:33 AM UTC

I did some work to produce a simple example which illustrates this and the quotation marks issue. The attached sample shows both problems. In fact I''ve figured out what causes the "invalid char in front of +" message. It''s when the named range includes the underscore ("_") character. This is different behaviour from Excel so I''d call it a bug. The quotation marks problem occurs when the cell contains a formula which returns a string result. >I can''t talk c# so I can''t talk to the code parts of your sample. > >However, looking at the spreadsheet it does not used NAMED ranges. Only cell references. > > > >>Hi Brian, >>I was not able to reproduce the error in this sample.Calculate_Excel.zip. Could you please reproduce the error in this sample.Please provide your Version details also. >> >>Thanks for choosing and using Syncfusion Products. >> >>Best Regards, >>Jeba.

ProblemsWithNamedRanges.zip

BJ Brian J. Burnett December 29, 2005 09:37 AM UTC

From the Excel help.. "What characters are allowed? The first character of a name must be a letter, an underscore character (_), or a backslash (\). Remaining characters in the name can be letters, numbers, periods, and underscore characters." >I did some work to produce a simple example which illustrates this and the quotation marks issue. > >The attached sample shows both problems. > >In fact I''ve figured out what causes the "invalid char in front of +" message. It''s when the named range includes the underscore ("_") character. > >This is different behaviour from Excel so I''d call it a bug. > >The quotation marks problem occurs when the cell contains a formula which returns a string result. > > >>I can''t talk c# so I can''t talk to the code parts of your sample. >> >>However, looking at the spreadsheet it does not used NAMED ranges. Only cell references. >> >> >> >>>Hi Brian, >>>I was not able to reproduce the error in this sample.Calculate_Excel.zip. Could you please reproduce the error in this sample.Please provide your Version details also. >>> >>>Thanks for choosing and using Syncfusion Products. >>> >>>Best Regards, >>>Jeba.

BJ Brian J. Burnett December 29, 2005 09:42 AM UTC

Version is 4.101.0.9 >From the Excel help.. > >"What characters are allowed? The first character of a name must be a letter, an underscore character (_), or a backslash (\). Remaining characters in the name can be letters, numbers, periods, and underscore characters." > > >>I did some work to produce a simple example which illustrates this and the quotation marks issue. >> >>The attached sample shows both problems. >> >>In fact I''ve figured out what causes the "invalid char in front of +" message. It''s when the named range includes the underscore ("_") character. >> >>This is different behaviour from Excel so I''d call it a bug. >> >>The quotation marks problem occurs when the cell contains a formula which returns a string result. >> >> >>>I can''t talk c# so I can''t talk to the code parts of your sample. >>> >>>However, looking at the spreadsheet it does not used NAMED ranges. Only cell references. >>> >>> >>> >>>>Hi Brian, >>>>I was not able to reproduce the error in this sample.Calculate_Excel.zip. Could you please reproduce the error in this sample.Please provide your Version details also. >>>> >>>>Thanks for choosing and using Syncfusion Products. >>>> >>>>Best Regards, >>>>Jeba.

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team December 29, 2005 10:32 AM UTC

Hi Brian, Please refer this VB sample: Quotation.zip Let us know if this is not what you needed. Best Regards, Jeba.

BJ Brian J. Burnett December 29, 2005 11:52 AM UTC

There is some interesting stuff in that example but not the point I am raising. What I''m saying, and the example I provided demonstrates, is that if a template.xls contains named ranges with underscores or periods in the name then Calculate produces results that is not compliant with Excel. >Hi Brian, >Please refer this VB sample: >Quotation.zip > >Let us know if this is not what you needed. > >Best Regards, >Jeba. >

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team December 29, 2005 12:18 PM UTC

Hi Brian, Thanks for bringing this issue to our attention. I have entered this as a defect. We will try our very best to address this issue at the earliest. You can track this online here: http://www.syncfusion.com/support/issues/calculate/Default.aspx?ToDo=view&questId=1325 Best Regards, Jeba.

BJ Brian J. Burnett March 27, 2006 07:27 AM UTC

What is the latest on this issue? Has it been fixed or is there any plan to release a fix? >Hi Brian, > >Thanks for bringing this issue to our attention. >I have entered this as a defect. We will try our very best to address this issue at the earliest. You can track this online here: >http://www.syncfusion.com/support/issues/calculate/Default.aspx?ToDo=view&questId=1325 > >Best Regards, >Jeba.

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team March 27, 2006 11:56 AM UTC

Hi Brian, Please check the issue in Essential studio 4.1.0.50. It was fixed in 4.1.0.50 Only underscores are supported in namedranges. Periods are not supported. Please refer this link: NamedRanges with special characters produces bad outputs. --->Fixed in 4.1.0.50 Let us know if you still face any issue related to this. Best Regards, Jeba

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon