We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date

Any way of capturing a Keyboard Event from windows???

I'm looking for a way to capture a Keyboard Event that might fire from any active application in Windows, in my WinForms application. My WinForms application is an audio player that is used by medical transcriptionists. The audio player is usually minimized while the transcriptionist is in Word transcribing the audio dictation. It would be nice if while in Word they could press Shift-Ctrl-F (or some other keystroke) which could then be caught by my application which would automatically move them to the next file to be transcribed. If anyone has some insight or sample code, I would greatly appreciate it! This would save the user the hassle of having to go back and forth between applications.

2 Replies

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team April 17, 2003 09:34 AM UTC

Check out this Google thread. http://www.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&threadm=UHMWgCfmCHA.2144%40cpmsftngxa09&rnum=16&prev=/groups%3Fq%3DSetWindowsHookEx%2Bgroup:*dotnet*%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8%26start%3D10%26sa%3DN

MW Matt Wareham April 18, 2003 01:45 PM UTC

Thanks for the link Clay. I've tried this one, along with 3 other examples and none of these seem to be able to capture a keyboard event from anything other than it's own application. I've tested this in a simple C# WindowsForm and whenever it's minimized or doesn't have focus, it will not pick up on a keyboard event from another application. Might you have any other suggestions? Thanks again!

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon