We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date

New version of grid and VS2005 compatibility?

It has been awhile since I''ve worked on a project with a grid so I''m a little out of the loop on this. So in reading some of the posts I can’t figure out if 3.3 of the grid will work with VS2005 or not. We are working on a new version of an application and want to have the newest version with it. Right now that looks like 3.3. We are also waiting on VS2005 so we can start working on some huge upgrades to another product without a grid. My problem is with my past history with new versions I want to find one that works and stick with it. I don’t want to go to 3.3 for one app and then have to go to 4 for a VS2005 app. So right now with 3.3 will this work with VS2005? I''d really appreciate any feedback from syncfusion and anyone else who might have already asked these question or had these concerns. I really want to go to one version that will accommodate both my needs. If waiting until version 4 of the grid is it then so be it. I just don’t want to deal with past problems over again. Thanks in advance. Phil

2 Replies

SH Sue Harris November 30, 2005 10:53 PM UTC

Hi, In my experience the 3.3 version does (sort of) work with visual studio 2005 but only the 1.1 assemblies. I will state upfront that I am using 3.3.0.0, not one of the newer patches due to compatibility problems and upgrade paranoia within my teams (also I need to run the debug version of the assemblies [which you can''t do with the patches] to help solve some problems). So some of the issues may have been addressed already. To explain, my project has just been upgraded to use visual studio 2005. We didn''t touch the assembly references, and after the usual compile fixes etc that you always get upgrading a visual studio project, it all works apparently without any problems (we haven''t found any problems anyway). On the problem side apparently the designer has issues with the Syncfusion controls and you need to remove lines added by the designer which won''t compile, but it otherwise works. (I might be mistaken about some of the details of the designer problem as I have not tried it myself, just had the issue reported to me). However, as soon as I tried to update my references to use the dotnet 2.0 versions of the Syncfusion assemblies I hit serious problems. The first (which doesn''t apply to you, but the information may be useful to someone) was with the Syncfusion.Tools.SplashPanel - there appears to be a Threading problem there when the splash panel times out and attempts to close. I was able to fix that fairly easily by creating an override class of the SplashPanel and inserting the InvokeRequired/Invoke test in the HideSplash method. However the real issue I can''t figure out at all. After updating the Syncfusion references to the dotnet 2.0 assemblies, my project starts core dumping (even running in debug mode, and those dump files are meaningless - there is no references to either my project or syncfusion.) I was able to narrow down one of the problems to the following line in one of my controls Dispose methods: if ( this.gridControl != null ) Commenting out that line (I''d already commented out the code inside the if test earlier) and the core dump didn''t occur. I don''t know what the problem is, but I''m giving up going to dotnet 2.0 assemblies until at least Syncfusion Suite 4.0 is released (how does one debug that sort of problem?). Hope this helps you. Sue

DJ Daniel Jebaraj Syncfusion Team December 3, 2005 02:52 PM UTC

Hi Sue, The binary 2.0 controls that shipped with 3.3 were built with beta2 of Visual Studio.NET 2005. They will have compatibility problems with the RTM or RC. The 1.1 binaries will work better as you have pointed out. Best regards, Daniel >Hi, > >In my experience the 3.3 version does (sort of) work with visual studio 2005 but only the 1.1 assemblies. I will state upfront that I am using 3.3.0.0, not one of the newer patches due to compatibility problems and upgrade paranoia within my teams (also I need to run the debug version of the assemblies [which you can''t do with the patches] to help solve some problems). So some of the issues may have been addressed already. > >To explain, my project has just been upgraded to use visual studio 2005. We didn''t touch the assembly references, and after the usual compile fixes etc that you always get upgrading a visual studio project, it all works apparently without any problems (we haven''t found any problems anyway). On the problem side apparently the designer has issues with the Syncfusion controls and you need to remove lines added by the designer which won''t compile, but it otherwise works. (I might be mistaken about some of the details of the designer problem as I have not tried it myself, just had the issue reported to me). > >However, as soon as I tried to update my references to use the dotnet 2.0 versions of the Syncfusion assemblies I hit serious problems. The first (which doesn''t apply to you, but the information may be useful to someone) was with the Syncfusion.Tools.SplashPanel - there appears to be a Threading problem there when the splash panel times out and attempts to close. I was able to fix that fairly easily by creating an override class of the SplashPanel and inserting the InvokeRequired/Invoke test in the HideSplash method. > >However the real issue I can''t figure out at all. After updating the Syncfusion references to the dotnet 2.0 assemblies, my project starts core dumping (even running in debug mode, and those dump files are meaningless - there is no references to either my project or syncfusion.) I was able to narrow down one of the problems to the following line in one of my controls Dispose methods: > if ( this.gridControl != null ) >Commenting out that line (I''d already commented out the code inside the if test earlier) and the core dump didn''t occur. I don''t know what the problem is, but I''m giving up going to dotnet 2.0 assemblies until at least Syncfusion Suite 4.0 is released (how does one debug that sort of problem?). > >Hope this helps you. > >Sue

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon