We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date
close icon

Patch Upgrades

What is the correct way to upgrade a version (e.g., 3.3.0.1) using a binary patch, say 3.3.0.11)? If I run the .exe for the patch "on top of" the existing 3.3.0.1 version, I find that both the old binaries for 3.3.0.1 as well as the new 3.3.0.11 binaries are present. The 3.3.0.1 dlls are still in: C:\Program Files\Syncfusion\Essential Studio\Assemblies\1.1\ But the patched dlls are in: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .Net 2003\Common7\IDE\PublicAssemblies\ Projects have to have their References sections manually re-defined in order to get the new, patched binaries linked in. Please let me know if there is a better way. Thanks, Van Baker

3 Replies

DJ Daniel Jebaraj Syncfusion Team November 30, 2005 08:01 AM UTC

Hi Van, Patches are installed side-by-side with the existing version. However, only the latest version is installed to the Public Assemblies Folder (for all installed versions of Visual Studio.NET). All projects that do not have copy local set to true for the assemblies should automatically pick up the new assemblies. Is this not happening? Thanks, Daniel >What is the correct way to upgrade a version (e.g., 3.3.0.1) using a binary patch, say 3.3.0.11)? > >If I run the .exe for the patch "on top of" the existing 3.3.0.1 version, I find that both the old binaries for 3.3.0.1 as well as the new 3.3.0.11 binaries are present. > >The 3.3.0.1 dlls are still in: > C:\Program Files\Syncfusion\Essential Studio\Assemblies\1.1\ > >But the patched dlls are in: > C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .Net 2003\Common7\IDE\PublicAssemblies\ > >Projects have to have their References sections manually re-defined in order to get the new, patched binaries linked in. > >Please let me know if there is a better way. > >Thanks, >Van Baker >

SH Sue Harris November 30, 2005 10:32 PM UTC

Hi Daniel, It''s certainly not working quite right for me. My projects have Copy Local set false, and whenever I installed a patch I had to copy the 1.1 assemblies folder from the patch precompiled assemblies directory to the C:\Program Files\Syncfusion\Essential Studio\Assemblies directory for the patch assemblies to be used in my project. On the other hand it was obviously doing *something* since when I uninstalled the patch (and replaced that 1.1 directory with the old precompiled assemblies directory) I kept getting errors trying to compile which basically indicated that something was still finding the patch assemblies (The error was usally something along the lines of Syncfusion.Grid dll 3.301.0.0 is referencing newer assembly Syncfusion.Core dll 3.301.0.20). I eventually uninstalled the Syncfusion Suite completely and deleted all the registry keys and file folders to solve the problem. Interestingly enough this problem (http://www.syncfusion.com/Support/Forums/message.aspx?MessageID=34255) cropped up again after I uninstalled the patch. Regards, Sue

DJ Daniel Jebaraj Syncfusion Team December 3, 2005 03:01 PM UTC

Hi Sue, Thanks for the details. The problem was related to the following. * We no longer use the old Assemblies folder. The new assembly manager (in the patches and 4.x) installs directly to the VS.NET assembly folders. The problem is that there could potentially be a conflict with different assemblies in these locations. We have changed this now such that the new assembly manager copies over to the old assemblies folder if one exists. * Even if both locations are updated, in some projects the hint path can cause problems. In such cases it is best to remove and readd references. With reference to the assembly manager build issue you still have to delete the key. This has been fixed with 4.x. Best regards, Daniel >Hi Daniel, > >It''s certainly not working quite right for me. My projects have Copy Local set false, and whenever I installed a patch I had to copy the 1.1 assemblies folder from the patch precompiled assemblies directory to the C:\Program Files\Syncfusion\Essential Studio\Assemblies directory for the patch assemblies to be used in my project. > >On the other hand it was obviously doing *something* since when I uninstalled the patch (and replaced that 1.1 directory with the old precompiled assemblies directory) I kept getting errors trying to compile which basically indicated that something was still finding the patch assemblies (The error was usally something along the lines of Syncfusion.Grid dll 3.301.0.0 is referencing newer assembly Syncfusion.Core dll 3.301.0.20). I eventually uninstalled the Syncfusion Suite completely and deleted all the registry keys and file folders to solve the problem. Interestingly enough this problem (http://www.syncfusion.com/Support/Forums/message.aspx?MessageID=34255) cropped up again after I uninstalled the patch. > >Regards, >Sue

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon