We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date

Memory Usage

I''m evaluating libraries for the generation of PDF files, and one of my main requirements is to minimize memory usage during generation of potentially very large PDF files. Therefore, I can only consider PDF libraries that allow for some sort of "streamed" mode where the document is written to an output Stream as it is created, rather than the more typical model of holding the entire PDF DOM in memory, and then writing it out to a file or stream when the document is complete. Does Essential PDF have this feature? I''ve downloaded the demo and combed the documentation, and can find no indication that it does.

3 Replies

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team November 16, 2005 02:45 PM UTC

Hi Joel, The current version (3.3) available for download does not have a forward only mode but the next release (4.0) will have a forward only mode for creating very large tables. Here is a sample application that was compiled using using the latest internal version of Essential PDF that generates a 16MB PDF file with a table of 5000 rows and 7 columns using less than 15 MB memory ForwardOnlyTables.zip We will also be adding forward-only mode to other PDF elements so that each page gets saved to disk immediately after creation shortly after the release of version 4.0. Please let me know if you have any questions. Thanks, Stephen. >I''m evaluating libraries for the generation of PDF files, and one of my main requirements is to minimize memory usage during generation of potentially very large PDF files. Therefore, I can only consider PDF libraries that allow for some sort of "streamed" mode where the document is written to an output Stream as it is created, rather than the more typical model of holding the entire PDF DOM in memory, and then writing it out to a file or stream when the document is complete. > >Does Essential PDF have this feature? I''ve downloaded the demo and combed the documentation, and can find no indication that it does.

JM Joel Mueller November 18, 2005 11:34 PM UTC

Thanks for that example, Stephen. I duplicated your example using one of your competitors'' PDF libraries, and it was four times faster, about the same memory usage, and produced a PDF file half as big (even after I turned on compression in the Essential PDF version of the test). Can we expect to see better performance out of the release version of 4.0?

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team November 21, 2005 04:55 AM UTC

Hi Joel, Thanks for the update. 1) Could you please log a support issue in Direc-Trac (http://www.syncfusion.com/Support/DirectTrac/logon.aspx?URL=/Support/DirectTrac/default.aspx) and let me know some more details on the competetor''s performance so that I can reproduce the issue on speed and file size here. 2) After reproducing the issue, I will consult with the development team and provide an estimate on when these issues could be addressed. Please provide as much details as possible on your requirements so that we can provide an accurate estimate. Thank you for considering syncfusion. Thanks, Stephen. >Thanks for that example, Stephen. > >I duplicated your example using one of your competitors'' PDF libraries, and it was four times faster, about the same memory usage, and produced a PDF file half as big (even after I turned on compression in the Essential PDF version of the test). Can we expect to see better performance out of the release version of 4.0?

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon