We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date

Automation testing

Our application uses extensive use of the Syncfusion GridControl. We are trying to develop an automated test to use against our application, however, we are encountering some problems as the testing tools recognise standard windows objects, but not third party objects. Specifically we are looking at QuickTest and NUnitForms. However, both require substancial changes to get things to work. Has anybody used either of these tools with success? Or has anybody used any other tools that they can tell me about. Are there any known GUI testers that work with Syncfusion objects (specifically GridControl)? Thanks,

22 Replies

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team November 10, 2005 06:22 PM UTC

Here is a link to a partnership announcement with AppPoint Software who offers support for GUI testing. http://www.syncfusion.com/ We are also actively working in-house on supporting Mercury's QTP. There will be annoucements in this forum when this is ready for the grid.

AS Avi Simon January 1, 2006 09:56 PM UTC

Hi Clay. Any updates on the avaiability of the in house developed QTP support? Any estimation on when it might become available? Thanks a lot Avi

ST stanleyj Syncfusion Team January 2, 2006 05:38 AM UTC

Hi Asimon, We have almost completed for our grids to be recognized in QTP. Please open an incident through DirectTrac and we will provide you the information. Thank you for using Syncfusion products. Best regards, Stanley

AJ Alexander Jing March 1, 2006 01:52 AM UTC

Hi, Stanley, We are helping Schlumberger Beijing GeoScience Center to fulfill automation testing by Mercury''s QTP. SyncFusion Grid is widely used in Schlumberger''s applicatoin. But it can only be recognized as SwfObject by QTP+.NET addin. It''s not enough. We are seeking better approach. Could you give some advice?

ST stanleyj Syncfusion Team March 1, 2006 07:41 AM UTC

Hi Alexander, Thanks for testing our Grids. Right now, the test objects are mapped to Swfobject which is by default, that can also be mapped to SwfTable making changes in the SwfConfig.xml file. Add an attribute MappedTo and set the value SwfTable in the Control tag. We will be glad to hear from you the better approaches and functions that you are seeking, please open a DT incident to share the details. Thanks for the feedback. Best regards, Stanley

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team March 2, 2006 07:40 AM UTC

Hi, Stanley, Could you give me a sample SwfConfig.xml file? Thanks. Alexander

ST stanleyj Syncfusion Team March 2, 2006 09:14 AM UTC

Hi Alexander, Here is the sample SwfConfig.zip file. Regards, Stanley

UD Uday June 23, 2006 05:46 AM UTC

Hi Stanley, I am using QTP to test application wherein Syncfusion grids are used. I tried working with the "SwfConfig.xml" file however still grid is identified as SwfObject. I went through the file that you have sent, it refers to the dll called <> however I didnt find it anywhere. Please put light on the same. Where do am I go wrong? Thanks, Uday >Hi Alexander, > >Here is the sample SwfConfig.zip file. > >Regards, >Stanley

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team June 23, 2006 03:19 PM UTC

Hi Uday, The dlls are the same, just look the 3rd line in the file, in the Control tag MappedTo attribute is added.. old line : Control Type="Syncfusion.Windows.Forms.Grid.GridControl" new line : Control Type="Syncfusion.Windows.Forms.Grid.GridControl" MappedTo="SwfTable" The DllName tag is where you point the QTP .Net8.2 addin to refer the custom server dll in your system, make sure the right path is mapped.. Regards, Stanley >Hi Stanley, >I am using QTP to test application wherein Syncfusion grids are used. I tried working with the "SwfConfig.xml" file however still grid is identified as SwfObject. I went through the file that you have sent, it refers to the dll called <> however I didnt find it anywhere. Please put light on the same. Where do am I go wrong? >Thanks, >Uday > >>Hi Alexander, >> >>Here is the sample SwfConfig.zip file. >> >>Regards, >>Stanley

UD Uday July 13, 2006 10:35 AM UTC

Hi Stanley, I didnt find any ''old line'' in my config file that you have mentioned in the last mail. There is no line for Syncfusion. I am attaching the config file that I had on my machine <> and the one I have created as directed by you <>. Still I am not able to identify the grid as swftable. Please guide further. Uday >Hi Uday, > >The dlls are the same, just look the 3rd line in the file, in the Control tag MappedTo attribute is added.. > >old line : Control Type="Syncfusion.Windows.Forms.Grid.GridControl" >new line : Control Type="Syncfusion.Windows.Forms.Grid.GridControl" MappedTo="SwfTable" > >The DllName tag is where you point the QTP .Net8.2 addin to refer the custom server dll in your system, make sure the right path is mapped.. > >Regards, >Stanley >

config2.zip

ST stanleyj Syncfusion Team July 13, 2006 11:08 AM UTC

Hi Uday, When Syncfusion Essential TestStudio is installed, the SwfConfig.xml would have been updated. We also ship sample config files in the Essential TestStudio\Config\1.1 & Essential TestStudio\Config\2.0, you may replace this with the existing one in the dat folder.. By default QTP will identify Grid as SwfObject, adding MappedTo="SwfTable" as mentioned earlier will give results.. If you have not installed Essential TestStudio, please contact sales@syncfusion.com.. Best regards, Stanley

UD Uday October 18, 2006 04:20 AM UTC

Hi Stanley,
I have got test studio, QTP is able to identify and record all the objects more intellegently now however while replaying 'General Error' is popping up. I have copied swfconfig from Essential TestStudio\Config\2.0. As suggested in FAQ, I have already installed latest .Net patch for QTP. Please suggest remedy for 'PlayBack'.
Uday

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team October 18, 2006 07:14 AM UTC

Hi Uday,

This issue can be solved with the patch QTPNet82P2104 release of Mercury for QTP8.2. If QTP9.0 is used then install patch QTPNET82P2115 and refer to http://www.syncfusion.com/support/issues/teststudio/Default.aspx?ToDo=view&questId=2004

Regards,
Stanley

>Hi Stanley,
I have got test studio, QTP is able to identify and record all the objects more intellegently now however while replaying 'General Error' is popping up. I have copied swfconfig from Essential TestStudio\Config\2.0. As suggested in FAQ, I have already installed latest .Net patch for QTP. Please suggest remedy for 'PlayBack'.
Uday

UD Uday November 9, 2006 07:03 AM UTC

Thanks Stanley,
The patch you mentioned worked well. Now I am facing another issue :) for group grid control.
Method GetCellData isn't working for child bands.
e.g.
a= SwfWindow("CS - Advanced").SwfWindow("Reconciliation").SwfObject("gridGroupingControl1").GetCellData ("3","COUNT")
a= SwfWindow("CS - Advanced").SwfWindow("Reconciliation").SwfObject("gridGroupingControl1").GetCellData ("0;0","MASTERNAME")
First instruction goes well and retrieves data however second instruction is showing Run Error "Input string was not in a correct format" because of "0;0" is passed for the paramter 'row'. Other methods such as ExpandRecord, SetCurrentCell goes well with second and even third band (Child bands). Is it issue with Grids.dll provided in studio? Please suggest. Appreciate your patience.
Thanks,
Uday Shete

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team November 9, 2006 07:46 AM UTC

Hi Uday,

Earlier we had problems in implementing interactions with child grids, the present TestStudio dlls have access to it. Here is a sample script. Please open a Direct-Trac incident, we will give you the new install.

SwfWindow("GridGroupingControl").Move 441,334
SwfWindow("GridGroupingControl").SwfObject("gridGroupingControl1").SetCurrentCell 4,"parentID"
SwfWindow("GridGroupingControl").SwfObject("gridGroupingControl1").SetCurrentCell 5,"parentID"
SwfWindow("GridGroupingControl").SwfObject("gridGroupingControl1").ExpandRecord 5
SwfWindow("GridGroupingControl").SwfObject("gridGroupingControl1").SetCurrentCell 10,"childID"
SwfWindow("GridGroupingControl").SwfObject("gridGroupingControl1").ExpandRecord 10
SwfWindow("GridGroupingControl").SwfObject("gridGroupingControl1").SetCurrentCell 14,"grandChildID"
SwfWindow("GridGroupingControl").SwfObject("gridGroupingControl1").SetCurrentCell 14,"Name"
SwfWindow("GridGroupingControl").SwfObject("gridGroupingControl1").SetCellData 14,"Name","New Name"
SwfWindow("GridGroupingControl").SwfObject("gridGroupingControl1").SetCurrentCell 15,"Name"
a = SwfWindow("GridGroupingControl").SwfObject("gridGroupingControl1").GetCellData( 14, "Name")
MsgBox a

Best regards,
Stanley

>Thanks Stanley,
The patch you mentioned worked well. Now I am facing another issue :) for group grid control.
Method GetCellData isn't working for child bands.
e.g.
a= SwfWindow("CS - Advanced").SwfWindow("Reconciliation").SwfObject("gridGroupingControl1").GetCellData ("3","COUNT")
a= SwfWindow("CS - Advanced").SwfWindow("Reconciliation").SwfObject("gridGroupingControl1").GetCellData ("0;0","MASTERNAME")
First instruction goes well and retrieves data however second instruction is showing Run Error "Input string was not in a correct format" because of "0;0" is passed for the paramter 'row'. Other methods such as ExpandRecord, SetCurrentCell goes well with second and even third band (Child bands). Is it issue with Grids.dll provided in studio? Please suggest. Appreciate your patience.
Thanks,
Uday Shete

UD Uday December 12, 2006 07:28 AM UTC

Hi Stanley,
I am facing new issue handling objects which are placed on a "Tab" (Tabhost). I need to handle them using progrmming as it is created run time. Following is the code I have written to click a menu in tool stripe which is placed on Tabhost. (Object on Tab host are if learned, they are learned in under Swfwindo with the name as the heading of the Tab".

Set WinDesc = Description.Create()
WinDesc("swfname").Value = ""
WinDesc ("text ").Value = "2KH4N0 - CSFB 2003-AR12"
WinDesc("is child window").Value = True
WinDesc("is owned window").Value = False
msgbox SwfWindow("Credit Suisse - Advanced").SwfWindow(WinDesc).Exist (1)

Above code always returns False to me. And If I learn this window same properies are learned in Object repository and everything works fine.

This tab is created runtime and has toolstripe on it which I need to work on.

Please find attached snap shot.
Thanks,
Uday

untitled30.zip

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team December 13, 2006 12:54 PM UTC

Hi Uday,

I am not certainly clear of the controls mentioned. If the TabControl and the ToolStrip mentioned are of System.Windows.Forms, please contact Mercury in this regard, they will be in a position to help you better. If you require support on Syncfusion controls, please let us know.

Best regards,
Stanley

>Hi Stanley,
I am facing new issue handling objects which are placed on a "Tab" (Tabhost). I need to handle them using progrmming as it is created run time. Following is the code I have written to click a menu in tool stripe which is placed on Tabhost. (Object on Tab host are if learned, they are learned in under Swfwindo with the name as the heading of the Tab".

Set WinDesc = Description.Create()
WinDesc("swfname").Value = ""
WinDesc ("text ").Value = "2KH4N0 - CSFB 2003-AR12"
WinDesc("is child window").Value = True
WinDesc("is owned window").Value = False
msgbox SwfWindow("Credit Suisse - Advanced").SwfWindow(WinDesc).Exist (1)

Above code always returns False to me. And If I learn this window same properies are learned in Object repository and everything works fine.

This tab is created runtime and has toolstripe on it which I need to work on.

Please find attached snap shot.
Thanks,
Uday

untitled30.zip

UD Uday February 5, 2007 02:40 AM UTC

Hi Stanley,
For me everything was working good and suddenly I am getting following message while executing the scripts.
Test line (54): "Result = Navigate_Menu(Menu)".
Error details:
Function file: H:\QTP\Mortgage Change Program\Lib\MCP_App_Specific_Lib.vbs
Line (146): " PageObj.SwfObject("mnuLeftpane").SelectGroup 0,"Acquisition"".
Description: Could not load file or assembly 'Syncfusion.Shared.Base, Version=4.102.0.50, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=3d67ed1f87d44c89' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

Could not load file or assembly 'Syncfusion.Shared.Base, Version=4.102.0.50
Why above message. As I mentioned everything was working good means Config file and the location of dll's are all in place. Could you please let me know the reason?

Thanks,
Uday

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team February 5, 2007 04:07 AM UTC

Hi Uday,

As mentioned in this kb Syncfusion controls doesn't get recognized even after TestStudio is installed? was there any changes in the version used?

Regards,
Stanley

UD Uday February 5, 2007 06:02 AM UTC

Hi Stanley,

You are correct. Developers have changed the version. It is moved from 4.102.0.50 to 4.402.0.51.
What is the remedy? What will be the impact over my existing function library? How could I handle such change?

Thanks,
Uday Shete

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team February 6, 2007 11:37 AM UTC

Hi Uday,

Can you please open a Direct trac incident, will send you the install details of TestStudio 4.4.0.51. Have a good day!

Best regards,
Stanley

UD Uday June 13, 2007 10:38 AM UTC

Hi Stanley,

I am migrating from QTP 8.2 to 9.2. After migration I am receiving "General run error" executing my scripts for Syncfusion objects.
Please suggest.

Thanks,
Uday Shete

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon