We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date

Selecting tool for PDF generation

Hello, We are currently migrating to 3.2 version of the Essential Suite and planning on utilizing more of the Essential components on top of those currently used. In particular, we are thinking about EssentialPDF. The requirements are: • Desktop application • Generate a multi-page statement containing outstanding invoices with further purpose of printing them and mailing (quite trivial I would say). Generating the PDF takes place on the user machine. • User should be prevented to modify the generated document in any way. Preventing from saving to disk is considering as well. Here is the input: • Standard Header, Standard Footer • Static document text stored in an XML file (or a text file) on user''s machine • Return address - stored in text file on user''s machine • Dynamic data in DataSet.DataTable containing the invoice info. All these provide data feed for generating the PDF. Originally, we were thinking merging all files into one XML and transforming them with XSL into XSL-FO document following another transformation into PDF with Rendering server (thrid party tool). Syncfusion came as a late player as we realize that we can be better off utilizing a tool (Essential) from a vendor that we already familiar with and (despite some pitfalls) have good and responsive support. I would really appreciate if you guys could assure me that EssentialPDF can do that job, in particular: • Generate a PDF doc according the above requirements? • Show the doc in Adobe Acrobat, or any other PDF compliant application? • Provide printing capabilities? • Prevent user from editing the doc? • Allow develop all that in an efficient manner? • Low effort maintenance after deployed? • Scalability? I would also appreciate prompt response since the decision should have been made last week and now we are behind the schedule (sound familiar?...). I will use your positive response as my base stand for using your tool in the upcoming meeting, so please give me as many “pro” arguments as you could, but be specific to requirements. Much appreciate.

7 Replies

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team October 20, 2005 12:41 PM UTC

Hi Igork, Thanks for your interest in Essential PDF. Essential PDF generates pdf document from the scratch in .Net application.Adobe viewer can be used for viewing the document. 1.It supports drawing of large multipage text into pdf document. 2.Security of the document is fully supported.It supports setting of passwords to the document.Editing the document can also be prevented. 3.Header and footer can be inserted to the document. 4.Text from Xml/text file can be inserted into Pdf. 5.Data tables/Dataset can be inserted into pdf. styles and formats for the text and tables can be made according to the users need. 6.Scalability can be achieved. you can have a look at the samples in the Evaluation center for all other supported features. Here is a link. http://www.syncfusion.com/support/EvaluationCenter/default.aspx?cNode=738 I am not sure that you know version 3.3.0.0 of Essential studio is released. Please let me know if you have further questions. Thanks, Lalitha.

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team October 20, 2005 01:55 PM UTC

Hi Lalitha, Thank you for a prompt reply. I briefed my boss on progress and my final report with recommendations ought to be published today. WITH RESPECT TO VERSION 3.3, is it worth for us upgrading from 3.2 that we are currently running on? Mind you, the new version will add risk to the project, so there should be a justification to go ahead with the upgrade. Could you please address following concerns: •Are we going to get more PDF-generating features with it? •What is in 3.3 that make it worth upgrading; in particular, for DataGrid, DataGrouping and PDF components? Thank you, Igor. >Hi Igork, > >Thanks for your interest in Essential PDF. > >Essential PDF generates pdf document from the scratch in .Net application.Adobe viewer can be used for viewing the document. > >1.It supports drawing of large multipage text into pdf document. > >2.Security of the document is fully supported.It supports setting of passwords to the document.Editing the document can also be prevented. > >3.Header and footer can be inserted to the document. > >4.Text from Xml/text file can be inserted into Pdf. > > >5.Data tables/Dataset can be inserted into pdf. styles and formats for the text and tables can be made according to the users need. > >6.Scalability can be achieved. > >you can have a look at the samples in the Evaluation center for all other supported features. >Here is a link. > >http://www.syncfusion.com/support/EvaluationCenter/default.aspx?cNode=738 > >I am not sure that you know version 3.3.0.0 of Essential studio is released. > >Please let me know if you have further questions. > > >Thanks, >Lalitha.

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team October 21, 2005 11:23 AM UTC

Hi Igork, In version 3.3.0.0 new features are added and many bugs found in 3.2.0.0 are fixed.In release notes you can find new features added to all products.Here is a link for it. http://www.syncfusion.com/squiffler/patches/v3.3.0.0/release%20notes.htm Please let me know if you want further clarification regarding notes. Thanks, Lalitha.

RP Roderick Prince November 2, 2005 02:55 AM UTC

Do you have an ASP.Net sample of converting HTML into a PDF?

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team November 2, 2005 10:59 AM UTC

Hi Roderick, Currently Essential HTMLUI supports windows application only.we convert HTML rendered as a image using Essential HTMLUI and then to PDF using Essential PDF. sorry for the inconvenience. Thanks, Lalitha. >Do you have an ASP.Net sample of converting HTML into a PDF?

SU Sudhanva January 19, 2012 09:36 AM UTC

Hi,

I am using Syncfusion ver 9.4.0.62..
Is it possible to convert PDF document to Word document.Actually i want to convert PDF to Word document...Can u please provide me a sample to convert PDF to word doc..

Thanks,
Sudhan

GM Geetha M Syncfusion Team January 20, 2012 03:53 AM UTC

Hi Sudhan,

Thank you for your interest in Syncfusion products.

Currently it is not possible to convert a PDF file to Word format.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Regards,
Geetha

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon