We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date
close icon

Essential Diagram Custom Properties and Custom Controls

Hi I have been evaluating essential studio for past week and it suites my current application quite well where there is extensive use of diagraming and simulations where i believe i could use your essential diagram only if it is possible to have custom controls and custom properties to those controls and also will have some databound properties for tyhe controls. Please let me know if it is possible and what is the approach. Eager to hear from you as I have to make decision ASAP. Thanks in Anticipation, Sachin

3 Replies

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team August 11, 2005 04:05 PM UTC

Hello Sachin, By ''custom controls'' are you referring to having custom diagramming symbols in your diagram, or using custom Windows Forms controls as nodes on the diagram? The answer to both questions is YES, this can be done with Essential Diagram. You can create custom diagram symbols (either programmatically, or interactively using the SymbolDesigner utility), and endow these symbols with custom properties that may be bound to a database. Programmatically defining a symbol, and adding one or more databound properties to it is pretty straightforward, and all you have to do is follow the approach demonstrated in the InDepth\OrgLayout or QuickStart\DynamicSymbol samples for the custom symbols that they use, and provide a property that binds to a database. If you would prefer to design your symbol using the SymbolDesigner GUI utility, and want to add a custom property to this symbol, then you will have to follow the method demonstrated in the QuickStart\CustomSymbol sample where a symbol defined within the SymbolDesigner is sub-classed by the application, and updated with a custom property. Both approaches are very straightforward and easy to do. If your question in fact concerns using custom Windows Forms controls in Essential Diagram, then you can do this as well. Using Windows Forms controls as symbols and nodes in a diagram is demonstrated in the InDepth\ControlsGalore sample that ships with the product. I hope I have answered your question. Please let us know if you require more specific information on any of these issues. Regards, Prakash Surendra Syncfusion Inc.,

SV Sachin Vijan August 17, 2005 10:10 AM UTC

Hi Prakash Thanks for the prompt reply. That surely did help. Now i had another set of question 1>My app is something like your diagram builder No How do i get Custom properties to the palette node using the MDI. 2> When i select a particullar property can i add another set of properties in property editor based on the selection. 3> Can I have a drpdown in palettgroupbar where i could select different representation of the symbol and drag it onto the Canvas. Hoping to hear from you soon Thanks Sachin

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team August 18, 2005 06:47 PM UTC

Sachin, 1. By ''custom properties to the palette node'', are you referring to adding custom properties to symbols designed with the SymbolDesigner utility? If so, then you can do so by leveraging the SymbolModel.PluginClass/PluginAssembly properties to subclass the symbol. The PluginClass and PluginAssembly that you use for the SymbolModel will refer to a subclass of the Syncfusion.Windows.Forms.Diagram.Symbol type that you define within your application on in a separate library. The custom implementation(properties, event handlers, overridden behavior etc.,) that you wish to provide for the symbol can be implemented on this symbol subclass. Instantiating the symbol from the palette will automatically force it to be subclassed by the custom Symbol class, and the symbol will thus be subject to the functionality implemented by your subclass. This approach of customizing a symbol is demonstrated in the ''QuickStart\CustomSymbol'' sample that ships with Essential Diagram. 2. You can do this through your Symbol subclass as well by either overriding and hiding the base properties, or providing a TypeDescriptor that filters out the properties that you wish to hide. Using a TypeDescriptor to filter out properties is again shown in the CustomSymbol sample. 3. Can you please elaborate on this question. Thanks, Prakash Surendra Syncfusion Inc.,

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon