We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date

Time to open workbook

I''m using version 2.1.0.9 of ExcelRW and it''s taking about 5 seconds to load a 1MB workbook containing numerical data only. Is the latest version of this component any faster?

5 Replies

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team April 7, 2005 06:42 PM UTC

Hi Stephen, I just tested with version 3.2 and it took me 4 secs to open a spreadsheet of size 1M data. However, we are working on the speed and you can expect to see some major improvements shortly. Thanks, Stephen. >I''m using version 2.1.0.9 of ExcelRW and it''s taking about 5 seconds to load a 1MB workbook containing numerical data only. Is the latest version of this component any faster?

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team April 10, 2005 04:13 PM UTC

That''s encouraging. I compared load times between ExcelRW and the equivalent Component One component. ExcelRW took about 5 secs to load a 1.5MB file and Component One about 1 second. Will your improvements get you anywhere near the Component One load time? Perhaps you could have an option that limits what''s loaded to data only (i.e. ignoring formatting) if this would help. Also, roughly when do you expect the performance improvements to be implemented? >Hi Stephen, > >I just tested with version 3.2 and it took me 4 secs to open a spreadsheet of size 1M data. However, we are working on the speed and you can expect to see some major improvements shortly. > >Thanks, > >Stephen. > >>I''m using version 2.1.0.9 of ExcelRW and it''s taking about 5 seconds to load a 1MB workbook containing numerical data only. Is the latest version of this component any faster?

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team April 12, 2005 12:40 AM UTC

>Perhaps you could have an option that limits what''s >loaded to data only (i.e. ignoring formatting) if >this would help. +1 for this option. Most of the time, I''m just after the data. Marcus

GR Greg April 12, 2005 06:19 PM UTC

I just did a LITTLE investigation of ComponentOne''s XLS product and it appears that they are just now supporting editing existing formulas and named ranges, but not creating any. I assume their support of formulaArrays is also non-existent. That product is no good for me. I agree that opening in a answers-only mode (no formuas, etc.) might be significantly faster for some folks.

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team April 19, 2005 06:14 PM UTC

Hi, Thanks for the suggestion. We will be improving the performance of reading spreadsheets as a whole but will also look into reading in optimized modes like data only, data and formula only etc. The performance enhancement will be part of the next major release after 3.2. Thanks, Stephen. >I just did a LITTLE investigation of ComponentOne''s XLS product and it appears that they are just now supporting editing existing formulas and named ranges, but not creating any. I assume their support of formulaArrays is also non-existent. That product is no good for me. > >I agree that opening in a answers-only mode (no formuas, etc.) might be significantly faster for some folks.

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon