We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date
close icon

Entering date in dateTime picker is inconvenient

Hi, The current DateTime picker is too inconvenient to edit date values. It treats date, month and year saperately. Copying/pasting the date values from/to the picker does not work. I think the look and feel with combobox is also kind of misleading. A text field with a calendar button attached to it similar to the Syncfusion currency textbox would have been a right choice. Also, allmost all the controls support "Flat" look and feel except the date time picker. Before I go and write a component (mimicing currency field) I want to get some feedback from you. What do you guys think about this? thanks, - Reddy

6 Replies

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team January 29, 2003 11:33 PM UTC

Hi Reddy, Sorry for the delay in getting back on this. We will look into this and get back by tomorrow. Best regards, Daniel Syncfusion

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team January 31, 2003 01:20 PM UTC

Daniel, I wrote a simple calendar edit textbox by extending Syncfusion button edit . You can find it in the attachment. When you run the application, notice the way you can enter values in the form, tab through the fields, cut/paste values between fields. This is what a typical user expects. .NET calendar picker is nice if you are using mouse. But keyboard navigation is very poor. BTW, my control has a little problem. In VS.NET designer, I am not able to drag the control around with mouse. But I can select it and move with arrow keys. Any ideas on what is happening? thanks, - Reddy

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team February 27, 2003 01:42 PM UTC

> Daniel, > > I wrote a simple calendar edit textbox by extending Syncfusion button edit . You can find it in the attachment. When you run the application, notice the way you can enter values in the form, tab through the fields, cut/paste values between fields. This is what a typical user expects. .NET calendar picker is nice if you are using mouse. But keyboard navigation is very poor. > > BTW, my control has a little problem. In VS.NET designer, I am not able to drag the control around with mouse. But I can select it and move with arrow keys. Any ideas on what is happening? > > thanks, > - Reddy I have updated my control with the new MonthCalendar. When I click on the year it puts the year Spinner correctly. But when I click on the month, it brings up the month poupupmenu and closes my popup month calendar control. When I select the month from the popup menu, it does nothing. When am I doing wrong? Also, my control has a little problem. In VS.NET designer, I am not able to drag the control around with mouse. But I can select it and move with arrow keys. Any ideas on what is happening? thanks, - Reddy

DJ Davis Jebaraj Syncfusion Team March 5, 2003 06:44 PM UTC

Hi, Sorry about the delay in responding. The problem with being unable to move the ButtonEdit derived control using the mouse inside the designer can be solved by adding a Simple designer for the derived control. I am attaching a sample to this post that modifies the project you had posted by adding the designer. Also, if you plan on using this control as a DateTime control you could set the TextBox in the ButtonEdit control to be a MaskedEditBox control. I have added overrides for CreateTextBox and TextBox in the changed DateTimeEdit.cs file and commented it out. You can uncomment it and set the mask to be 99/99/9999 and try it out. Please let us know if you have any issues / questions. Regards, Davis

BB Bryan Barton March 28, 2003 07:06 PM UTC

Davis, I have tried to run this sample and I am in need of building a similar control. When I follow along with the code that you wrote to include it in the designer, I am still not able to get it to show up in the toolbox, any suggestions? I pretty much cut and pasted the code you had for the DateTimeEditDesigner class as well as the DateTimeEdit class. Also, how did you get the calendarBT (ButtonEditChildButton) to show up in the toolbox so that it could be dragged into the desinger? I did a customize toolbox wizard and added every possible Syncfusion component that was listed.

DJ Davis Jebaraj Syncfusion Team April 4, 2003 03:54 PM UTC

> Davis, I have tried to run this sample and I am in need of building a similar control. When I follow along with the code that you wrote to include it in the designer, I am still not able to get it to show up in the toolbox, any suggestions? I pretty much cut and pasted the code you had for the DateTimeEditDesigner class as well as the DateTimeEdit class. Also, how did you get the calendarBT (ButtonEditChildButton) to show up in the toolbox so that it could be dragged into the desinger? I did a customize toolbox wizard and added every possible Syncfusion component that was listed. Hi Bryan, Sorry about the delay in responding. You need to add the DateTimeControl.dll that is generated by the DateTimeControl project (which is part of the sample attached to my previous message in this topic) using the Customize Toolbox wizard for the DateTimeEdit control to be visible in the ToolBox. When designing the DateTimeEdit control, you can add ButtonEditChildButton objects through code (just copy the existing code for the ButtonEditChildButton - calendarBT and rename it in code) as the ButtonEditChildButton cannot be added to the ToolBox. Please let us know if you have any further questions. Regards, Davis

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon