We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date
close icon

Why should I use SyncFusion ahead of Infragistics (or others)

Hi, 

I currently evaluating a number of grids and the best I believe in terms of features are Syncfusion and Infragistics. I'm a little dissappointed with the lack of extensibility in the Infragistics product. That is you cant you use inheritance to extend classes in the grid (especially the cell class). This is possible in SyncFusion I believe (similar to the MS Grid). The price is a bit of a stumbling block for the Syncfusion product. The infragistics suite gives you a load more controls for less money. I will get the SyncFusion product if I can get more backup for the Syncfusion from users and from SyncFusion themselves.

Regards,

Nick Zdunic

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

O Nick Zdunic BSc (Hons) 

O Systems Analyst 

O Strategic Systems (WA) Pty Ltd

O mobile: +61 [0]412 648 088

O work: +61 [0]8 9457 3664 

O fax: +61 [0]8 9457 3665 

O email: nick@ss.com.au 

O URL: http://www.ss.com.au

O EP on-line - the template & check list driven

O engineering process 

O EP lite - "Son" of EP on-line - 

O the essential engineering process

7 Replies

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team January 21, 2003 12:27 PM UTC

Nick, 

I am a Syncfusion employee. At a higher price, you should have higher expectations from the Syncfusion products. Give us a try, and if we don't meet your higher expectations, then take advantage of our 30-day money back guarantee. If you have specific sales related questions, you can contact sales@syncfusion.com for responses. If you have product support questions, then post an incident in our Direct Trac support system (you can even do this while using the evaluation version). If our support does not exceed your higher expectations compared to support you have received from other vendors, then again take advantage of our 30-day money back guarantee. Here is a Develop Mentor thread in which a Syncfusion user responds exactly to your price concerns. 

http://discuss.develop.com/archives/wa.exe?A2=ind0301b&L=dotnet-winforms&T=0&F=&S=&P=1752

We consider extensibility to be one of the core strengths of Essential Grid. Stefan Hoenig, the architect of Essential Grid, architected and designed a premier MFC grid noted for its extensibility. This grid control, Objective Grid, is currently in use at almost every fortune 500 company that does any form of MFC development. Essential Grid has also been very successful and is currently in use at companies such as Siemens, Honeywell, SAS and Lehman brothers. Essential Grid contains both a cell oriented grid and a databound-column oriented grid. Most grids are only the databound variety. Here is another Develop Mentor thread that discusses the merits of cell oriented grids.

http://discuss.develop.com/archives/wa.exe?A2=ind0211C&L=DOTNET-WINFORMS&P=R3161&I=-3

Hopefully, other users will come forward in this thread to relate their experiences with Syncfusion. 

Regards,

Clay

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team January 21, 2003 04:03 PM UTC

Nick, 

We bought Syncfusion suite Couple of months back. We evaluated Infragistics as well. Syncfusion Grid is cell oriented instead of column oriented. That was very important for our project. It works pretty good. The support is excellent. You can see any thread in these forums. You get response the same day. Sometimes with in hours!! Some times even with a sample project attached on solving our issues. For us support was another plus point with Syncfusion. Trust me they listen to what customers have to say!! cheers, 

- Reddy duggempudi,

JA Javier January 21, 2003 10:15 PM UTC

I am also in the middle of deciding what grid to buy. One thing that does stand out (besides the product itself) is the support. So far, I've had my questions all answer either by just asking, or by reading other people posts here. I'm certain, that if I do go with this product, the support will be there, and that is very important for me. I do have one question though. I have been debating if I should purchase the source code version or not. While I do see the advantages of having the source, I'm wondering if you get anything else :) By that I mean is the level of support diffrent if you go with the source code included version?? or is everything the same except you get access to code??? Soon to be a syncfusion customer...... :) 

Javier

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team January 21, 2003 10:28 PM UTC

Javier, 

On the surface there is no difference between the support for source code versions and binary versions. But you having source code allows you to run debug versions of the Syncfusion libraries. You can step into the code base, use TraceUtils to track program flow, and in general just have greater flexibility in the ability to debug complex code. In particular, this may allow us better tools to support you with, and help resolving problems quicker. 

Clay

NZ Nick Zdunic September 29, 2003 01:36 AM UTC

> Hi, > > I currently evaluating a number of grids and the best I believe in terms of features are Syncfusion and Infragistics. > > I'm a little dissappointed with the lack of extensibility in the Infragistics product. That is you cant you use inheritance to extend classes in the grid (especially the cell class). This is possible in SyncFusion I believe (similar to the MS Grid). > > The price is a bit of a stumbling block for the Syncfusion product. The infragistics suite gives you a load more controls for less money. I will get the SyncFusion product if I can get more backup for the Syncfusion from users and from SyncFusion themselves. > > Regards, > > Nick Zdunic > > OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO > O Nick Zdunic BSc (Hons) > O Systems Analyst > O Strategic Systems (WA) Pty Ltd > O mobile: +61 [0]412 648 088 > O work: +61 [0]8 9457 3664 > O fax: +61 [0]8 9457 3665 > O email: nick@ss.com.au > O URL: http://www.ss.com.au > OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO > O EP on-line - the template & check list driven > O engineering process > O EP lite - "Son" of EP on-line - > O the essential engineering process > OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO > 

After the initial good reports I've have a distinct feeling of being let down. I like to use bound grids. The separate grid for the bound version seems to be not so good. It would have been better if there was one grid and then just a property to set it into bound mode like other grids have. The object model is different from the unbound version and this makes it difficult to learn especially when all the support requests send back sample code using the unbound version of the grid. I feel duped as well because I was informed that version 2.0 would be ready about a month after I bought the product in Feb. Looks like I will miss out on this before my subscription runs out. Pretty bad form that.

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team September 29, 2003 06:15 PM UTC

Hi Nick, 

Thank you for voicing your concerns. 

Let me assure you that as a suite customer, you will indeed recieve a completely free upgrade to Essential Suite 2.0 when it is made available. In addition to the Grouping and Hierarchical display features in version 2.0, we will also be shipping two completely new products, Essential Chart and Essential Diagram. We are very sorry about the delay in getting version 2.0. But the wait is almost over and a beta version will be released soon. If you are interested in the new Grouping features in grid, please send me an email (danieljATsyncfusionDOTcom) and we will send you download instructions for the preview version of Essential Grid 2.0 complete with Grouping support. Between the Data Bound grid and the Regular grid, we do have a common base architecture. However, the controls are very significantly different in the way they display, edit and access data. A specialized control makes the overall architecture cleaner and more extensible. These controls share much of the common grid framework foundation. With version 1.x some of the RAD databinding features were not quite where we wanted them to be. With version 2.0 you will definitely see an improvement in this area. If you have any feedback on the aspects of databinding that you would like to see changed, please do send me an email. We greatly value your feedback and will take every effort to ensure that your needs are met. We thank you for choosing Syncfusion. 

Best regards, 

Daniel Jebaraj

UN Unknown Syncfusion Team September 30, 2003 01:07 AM UTC

Firstly I am not an employee of Syncfusion, nor do I have any commercial relationship with them. I've been using the databound grid for about 9 months. Initially I had a lot of trouble getting my head around the model, but asking lots of stupid questions both on the forum and in the support section, the support folks (particularly Clay), helped me in effectively creating a very specific derived grid (which handles a dataview, sums column values and row values, has built in menus for autosizing columns, tooltips etc). Having used the Infragistics product and the DevExpress product, I personally feel that the Syncfusion product is far superior in all respects. I've never even bothered to look at the unbound mode, since I can't think of any practical application for it -:) I would also mention that I have a very specific problem with my computer (a very small number of .NET users also have this problem), namely random system.arithmeticExceptions due to some weirdness with the floating point processor. After a number of complaints to the support people about this problem, they implemented specific error checking across their entire suite. I'm sure that Infragistics would have told me to buy a new computer. Someone else asked about purchasing the source code. I've purchased the source code for the Devexpress and Infragistics suites, but find they are next to useless - I can't follow the code (maybe its just me). I didn't buy the source code from Syncfusion, and have not found an occasion where I regret not having done so. I can just imagine the comments from the support people - "you changed our code - how do you expect us to know what you've done". I do have some beefs though - I'm still waiting for Essential Chart - I think its appalling that we have had to wait so long for it - when I bought the suite I was under the impression that it was due to be released within 10 weeks of my purchase date. Anyway - my tuppence 

Regards 

Jeremy Holt

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon