We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date
close icon

ConvertResx Question

I have a form that has no grid on it but it does have menus. When I open the form in the designer I get numerous "Object Type Cannot Be Converted to Target Type" messages. I''ve read everything in the forum and knowledge base about this problem and about ConvertResX.exe. Some people have had problems with ConvertResX so I''d like to know more about it. I assume it only affects the resx files selected in the tool? Also, the knowledge base instructions say: Make sure the BaseVersion entry is the version number of your currently installed Syncfusion assemblies. You can see this version number in your .NET GAC folder, c:\Windows\assembly I have already converted to 3.0.1.0. My GAC contains a mix of 2.1.0.9 and 3.0.1.0 assemblies. Which should I use as the BaseVersion? Is ConvertResX likely to solve my problem? Is it necessary to run it in general? Thanks.

18 Replies

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team January 22, 2005 05:21 PM UTC

Ken, Can you check if the CopyLocal property for the Syncfusion assemblies in the references set to True. If yes setting it to False took care of this issue. When set to True the VS Designer will load the same dll multiple times from different locations (project dir and also vs temp dir) and that causes then the problem you describe. Regards Stefan

KL Ken Law January 25, 2005 11:49 AM UTC

Yes, I have already done that because there is another forum posting out there on that subject. I just re-verified all references are set to False. Do you know what the effect of this error is? I have seen no problems at runtime. Also, I have migrated to 3.0.1.0 and have not run the ConvertResX utility. Like I mentioned, I''m leery of running it because others have had problems. Is it OK if I don''t run it if I see no other problems (assuming this current problem is related?)

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team January 25, 2005 07:01 PM UTC

Hi Ken, When set to True the VS Designer will load the same dll multiple times from different locations (project dir and also vs temp dir) and that causes then the problem you describe. This causes the CodeDom serializer to fail and therefore changes you made to the grid will not be saved into the InitializeComponent method. If you don''t notice any problems there is no need to run it. You would notice them right away if load the form and the grid comes up empty ... Stefan

KL Ken Law January 25, 2005 09:10 PM UTC

I''ve checked and double-checked to be sure all referenced assemblies have Copy Local set to False, so what you describe cannot be the problem. The only references where Copy Local is True are to other projects that are actually in the solution. Also, if you look at my original posting, I don''t have a grid on this form. I do have a fairly extensive menu structure however.

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team January 26, 2005 11:59 AM UTC

Hi Ken, Please follow the steps outlined below : 1. Delete all Syncfusion dlls and policy files from the GAC (C:\WINDOWS\Assembly in a Windows XP machine or C:\WINNT\Assembly in a Windows 2000 machine) 2. Delete all the contents of your public assemblies folder - ...\Syncfusion\Essential Suite\Assemblies 3. Run the v3.0.1.0 Assembly Manager tool choosing v3.0.1.0 Prebuilt Release. The Assembly Manager tool can be accessed from Start Menu >> Programs >> Syncfusion >> Essential Suite 3.0.1.0 >> Assembly Manager 4. Go to the GAC again and make sure that the Syncfusion references there are all of version 3.0.1.0. 5. Open up your project in the designer and delete all Syncfusion references 6. Re-add the references from the directory C:\Program Files\Syncfusion\Essential Suite\Assemblies. Set their CopyLocal property to false. 7. Replace the _sfSweeper.dll in the folder C:\windows\system32 with the _sfSweeper.dll in the folder ...\Syncfusion\Essential Suite\3.0.1.0\PreCompiledAssemblies\3.0.1.0\1.0 8. Delete the contents of the Isolated Storage folder. The Isolated Storage folder is in the directory C:\Documents and Settings\{user name}\Local Settings\Application Data\IsolatedStorage. 9. Delete the existing Syncfusion controls tab in the VS.NET''s toolbox and recreate a new one. 10. Now rebuild your application, and let me know how it goes. We appreciate your cooperation. Regards, Guru Patwal Syncfusion, Inc.

KL Ken Law January 26, 2005 09:16 PM UTC

Guru, PLEASE HELP - NOW THAT MY ENVIRONMENT HAS CHANGED I''M STUCK! I did everything exactly as you outlined, but now I cannot build. I receive the following errors: C:\Documents and Settings\Ken\My Documents\Verimation\Verimet\VerimetU1000\VerimetSolution\VMTRTTypes\licenses.licx Could not transform licenses file ''licenses.licx'' into a binary resource. (1) : error LC0003 : Unabled to resolve type ''Syncfusion.Windows.Forms.Tools.TreeViewAdv, Syncfusion.Tools, Version=2.1.0.9, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=3d67ed1f87d44c89'' C:\Documents and Settings\Ken\My Documents\Verimation\Verimet\VerimetU1000\VerimetSolution\VMTRTUITypes\licenses.licx Could not transform licenses file ''licenses.licx'' into a binary resource. (1) : error LC0003 : Unabled to resolve type ''Syncfusion.Windows.Forms.Tools.TreeViewAdv, Syncfusion.Tools, Version=2.1.0.9, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=3d67ed1f87d44c89'' C:\Documents and Settings\Ken\My Documents\Verimation\Verimet\VerimetU1000\VerimetSolution\VMTEditor\licenses.licx Could not transform licenses file ''licenses.licx'' into a binary resource. (1) : error LC0003 : Unabled to resolve type ''Syncfusion.Windows.Forms.Tools.XPMenus.PopupMenusManager, Syncfusion.Tools, Version=2.1.0.9, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=3d67ed1f87d44c89'' C:\Documents and Settings\Ken\My Documents\Verimation\Verimet\VerimetU1000\VerimetSolution\VMTRuntime\RuntimeForm.resx Resource transformation for file ''RuntimeForm.resx'' failed. File or assembly name Syncfusion.Tools, or one of its dependencies, was not found.

KL Ken Law January 26, 2005 09:24 PM UTC

Guru, Do these problems have to do with the policy files you had me delete from the GAC? I also don''t find any new policy files in the ..\3.0.1.0\PreCompiledAssemblies\3.0.1.0\1.1 folder. By the way, I''m using version 1.1 of the framework.

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team January 27, 2005 08:17 AM UTC

Try this. Open up the license.licx file that you are using (should be in the project folder) with a text editor. Does it it show the old 2109 version listed? If so, then edit the lines changing the version as well as the assembly name. For example, if you are using a GridDataBoundGrid, the old assembly named was Syncfusion.Grid and the new one would be Syncfusion.Grid.Windows old line: Syncfusion.Windows.Forms.Grid.GridDataBoundGrid, Syncfusion.Grid, Version=2.1.0.9, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=3d67ed1f87d44c89 new line: Syncfusion.Windows.Forms.Grid.GridDataBoundGrid, Syncfusion.Grid.Windows, Version=3.0.1.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=3d67ed1f87d44c89 Another thing to check is to open up the references node in your project in the Solution Explorer window. Make sure you have changed the references from the 2109 assemblies to the 3010 assemblies. (The 2109 assemblies should not be listed there.)

KL Ken Law January 27, 2005 09:39 AM UTC

Thanks Clay, made some progress... Now I''m getting only this error: C:\Documents and Settings\Ken\My Documents\Verimation\Verimet\VerimetU1000\VerimetSolution\VMTRuntime\RuntimeForm.resx Resource transformation for file ''RuntimeForm.resx'' failed. File or assembly name Syncfusion.Tools, or one of its dependencies, was not found. Can I hack this file the same way I did the .licx files? Also, something that is different about this form (the one giving me the original problem) is that it has multiple resx files. I must have the Localizable property set to true. I don''t need to deal with localization at the moment and can set this property back so I''m only using one .resx file for the form. Would you recommend this?

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team January 27, 2005 11:48 AM UTC

I am not that familiar with tools, so this may be entirely off the mark. As I understand it, Tools does not normally save anything in the resx file. But if you are localizing your control, then I suppose the strings would be saved in the resx file and this might include the version number which may be triggerring this problem. If it is just the strings that is causing the problem, I assume you could open the resx file in a text editor and change both teh version and the assembly name as you did in the licx file. (Of course, you would want to back up these files in case you need to undo these changes.)

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team January 27, 2005 12:59 PM UTC

Hi Clay and Ken The Tools library will serialize information for the BarManager and DockingManger. Try to remove these data from the resx file, may be the problem is going away. Have a look for these data: - MainFrameBarManager.BarPositionInfo - DockingManager.DockLayoutStream Hope it helps Regards Thomas

KL Ken Law January 27, 2005 01:37 PM UTC

There is a lot of XPMenu-related related references in the .resx files, many with incorrect assembly references and incorrect version references. I have multiple resx files because localization is on: RuntimeForm.en.resx RuntimeForm.en-US.resx RuntimeForm.es.resx RuntimeForm.es-MX.resx RuntimeForm.resx Three of these files have many incorrect Syncfusion assembly and version references. I can''t afford the time to change all these files. Does anyone know if I can turn off the localization in the RuntimeForm.resx file and just delete much of this data. Help.

KL Ken Law January 27, 2005 01:46 PM UTC

I removed the MainFrameBarManager.BarPositionInfo - DockingManager.DockLayoutStream data, but it did not seem to change anything. I still cannot load my RuntimeForm in the designer. I get a number of "Object Reference not set to an instance of an object" exceptions.

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team January 27, 2005 02:14 PM UTC

Ken, Do you have the source for the Essential Suite? If yes, build the source with the user debug option. Furthermore, open a second instance of VS and debug the process of the other devenv.exe. In the second instance, open the Debug -> Exception dialog and set for the Common Language Runtine Exceptions the option Break into the debugger. So you can figure out where the problem is. Hope this helps Regards Thomas

KL Ken Law January 27, 2005 03:09 PM UTC

Thanks Thomas. I appreciated your suggestion, but before I spend that kind of time debugging a Syncfusion issue, I have to ask my question again. I''ve got to believe that someone at Syncfusion that understands how the .resx files work should be able to answer it. I have multiple resx files because localization is on: RuntimeForm.en.resx RuntimeForm.en-US.resx RuntimeForm.es.resx RuntimeForm.es-MX.resx RuntimeForm.resx Three of these files have many incorrect Syncfusion assembly and version references. Does anyone know if I can turn off the localization in the RuntimeForm.resx file and just delete much of this data? Or can I turn off localization and fix the references only in the one RuntimeForm.resx file?

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team January 27, 2005 03:47 PM UTC

If you have not tried this yet, you should try running the ConvertResX utility. It should be able to resolve the references in tools 2109 to 3010. Make sure you set the base version on the display to 3.0.1.0 (if it not set properly). Make sure you run the version for the .Net Framework you are using (Syncfusion\Essential Suite\3.0.1.0\Utilities\Migration\1.0 or Syncfusion\Essential Suite\3.0.1.0\Utilities\Migration\1.1).

KL Ken Law January 27, 2005 06:30 PM UTC

I ran ConvertResX on the form I was having problems with and can now build. I was also able to open the form in the designer. Thanks.

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team January 16, 2006 01:14 PM UTC

>Guru, > >PLEASE HELP - NOW THAT MY ENVIRONMENT HAS CHANGED I''M STUCK! > >I did everything exactly as you outlined, but now I cannot build. I receive the following errors: > >C:\Documents and Settings\Ken\My Documents\Verimation\Verimet\VerimetU1000\VerimetSolution\VMTRTTypes\licenses.licx Could not transform licenses file ''licenses.licx'' into a binary resource. (1) : error LC0003 : Unabled to resolve type ''Syncfusion.Windows.Forms.Tools.TreeViewAdv, Syncfusion.Tools, Version=2.1.0.9, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=3d67ed1f87d44c89'' > >C:\Documents and Settings\Ken\My Documents\Verimation\Verimet\VerimetU1000\VerimetSolution\VMTRTUITypes\licenses.licx Could not transform licenses file ''licenses.licx'' into a binary resource. (1) : error LC0003 : Unabled to resolve type ''Syncfusion.Windows.Forms.Tools.TreeViewAdv, Syncfusion.Tools, Version=2.1.0.9, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=3d67ed1f87d44c89'' > >C:\Documents and Settings\Ken\My Documents\Verimation\Verimet\VerimetU1000\VerimetSolution\VMTEditor\licenses.licx Could not transform licenses file ''licenses.licx'' into a binary resource. (1) : error LC0003 : Unabled to resolve type ''Syncfusion.Windows.Forms.Tools.XPMenus.PopupMenusManager, Syncfusion.Tools, Version=2.1.0.9, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=3d67ed1f87d44c89'' > >C:\Documents and Settings\Ken\My Documents\Verimation\Verimet\VerimetU1000\VerimetSolution\VMTRuntime\RuntimeForm.resx Resource transformation for file ''RuntimeForm.resx'' failed. File or assembly name Syncfusion.Tools, or one of its dependencies, was not found. >

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon