We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date

named range in formula

Good Day, I cannot seem to reference a named range within a formula that I write out to xls - the name gets converted to the cell location, so that the formula in Excel does not show up nicely. The main value of named ranges is so that formulas contain the names instead of cell references, making the formula more readable. Example attached: namedrange namedrange_312.zip Also I see that when reading an xls file with named ranges, I also do not see the name within the formulas. In XML Spreadsheet, one can actually read whether a formula references a named range vs. a cell that happens to be named. i.e. =namedcell+5 vs. =''Sheet1"!$A$1+5 It would be nice to know the difference and have the formula as the user entered it, as opposed to assuming that the formula must have referenced the name, since that particular cell reference was named. Thanks, Greg

5 Replies

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team September 4, 2004 03:27 AM UTC

Hi Greg, I have reported this issue to the development team and will update this thread with more information as soon as I hear back from them. Thank you for your co-operation. Best regards, Stephen. >Good Day, > >I cannot seem to reference a named range within a formula that I write out to xls - the name gets converted to the cell location, so that the formula in Excel does not show up nicely. The main value of named ranges is so that formulas contain the names instead of cell references, making the formula more readable. Example attached: namedrange > >namedrange_312.zip > >Also I see that when reading an xls file with named ranges, I also do not see the name within the formulas. In XML Spreadsheet, one can actually read whether a formula references a named range vs. a cell that happens to be named. i.e. =namedcell+5 vs. =''Sheet1"!$A$1+5 >It would be nice to know the difference and have the formula as the user entered it, as opposed to assuming that the formula must have referenced the name, since that particular cell reference was named. > >Thanks, >Greg > > > > >

GR Greg January 11, 2005 07:22 PM UTC

ExcelRW ExcelUtils.Open has exception errors when opening the attached file (from Microsoft) that contains user defined named ranges. This xls also has non-visible named ranges seemingly from Solver, but simply deleting the two user named ranges causes ExcelRW to stop choking. transport_7363.zip

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team January 12, 2005 03:36 AM UTC

Hi Greg, Which version did you use to open this file?. I tried it with version 3.0.1.0 and it worked fine. Thanks. Best regards, Stephen. >ExcelRW ExcelUtils.Open has exception errors when opening the attached file (from Microsoft) that contains user defined named ranges. This xls also has non-visible named ranges seemingly from Solver, but simply deleting the two user named ranges causes ExcelRW to stop choking. > > > >transport_7363.zip > >

GR Greg January 14, 2005 06:10 PM UTC

Yes, we experience exceptions using 3.0.1.0. Maybe you do not have exception handling set to break on exceptions? We can "continue" past it, but figure it is something that should be cleaned up.

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team January 20, 2005 05:10 PM UTC

Hi Greg, I have reported this issue to the development team and it should be fixed in the next patch. Thanks. Best regards, Stephen. >Yes, we experience exceptions using 3.0.1.0. Maybe you do not have exception handling set to break on exceptions? We can "continue" past it, but figure it is something that should be cleaned up.

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon