We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date

Can I name S3 folder placeholder keys differently, like ".s3keep"?

I notice that the FileManager creates a placeholder object in S3 to represent each folder, and the key ends in slash, ex: Files/MyFolder/. (This is fine, though it would be nice if this fact were documented a little better, since S3 typically doesn't require folder objects to exist.) However, AmazonS3FileProvider behaves buggy when these folder placeholders don't exist; it has problems parsing folder structure as you browse up/down in the tree. 

I am working on an app that uses s3 sync to copy s3 files to local filesystem, and then s3 sync again to put them back into s3. In the sync process the folder placeholder objects get dropped, because they can't be represented well in the local filesystem. So when I re-sync files back to S3, the path hierarchy gets re-constituted, but the placeholder objects don't exist. FileManager doesn't play well with the re-synced files in S3.

Would it be possible to name the placeholder objects differently, for example, "Files/MyFolder/.s3keep" so that they're more explicitly managed when copying files into/out of S3? I would appreciate a little guidance. Thank you!

1 Reply

SS Sivakumar ShunmugaSundaram Syncfusion Team December 28, 2022 05:30 AM UTC

Hi Matthew,

Greetings from Syncfusion support.

We understand that you are having difficulty syncing your Amazon S3 bucket with our FileManager component using the Amazon S3 file service provider. But we are unable to replicate the reported issue from our side, and the bucket has synced with a folder created in the FileManager component after refreshing the current bucket. However, we are still committed to helping you resolve this issue. If you are able to provide more information or a video demonstrating the issue, it would be helpful in our investigation.

Additionally, we wanted to let you know that it is currently not possible to create a folder with a slash in the name, either in the FileManager component or in the Amazon S3 bucket. Check out the shared details. If we misunderstood your exact issue, share some more details related to it or share video footage to demonstrate the issue from your side. It will help us investigate the issue from our side.

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon