We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date
close icon

Identifying Grid using automated testing tools

Hello: I am helping the QA team at FRx Software to automate their testing efforts. My specialty is in Mercury Interactive tool set. We are using QuickTest Professional (QTP) with ".Net" addin to create test cases. My dilemma is with the Essential Grid control which is rendered in Virtual Mode. The QTP tool is not able to identify this control or any methods associated with it. While working with Mercury support they said that they support "standard" System.Window.Form controls and not 3rd party controls. Slowly Mercury is building their support for 3rd party controls, e.g. with ComponentOne or Infragistics. Do you have any suggestions or input as how to identify the Grid Control using automated testing toolset? Thanks,

19 Replies

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team July 16, 2004 02:22 PM UTC

One of our engineers is working on this issue for the Mercury tool, but it will be probably another 3 weeks or so before we can offer any help/advice (as the person handling this is on leave at the moment.)

AS Azfar Sajid August 3, 2004 05:45 PM UTC

Just wanted to follow-up and check if there are any updates on this issue. Thanks, >One of our engineers is working on this issue for the Mercury tool, but it will be probably another 3 weeks or so before we can offer any help/advice (as the person handling this is on leave at the moment.)

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team August 3, 2004 06:16 PM UTC

Not as yet. If you will submit a Direct Trac support incident, we can notify you when we have some information for you.

AN anuradha December 29, 2004 06:28 AM UTC

Hello: We are using QuickTest Professional (QTP) with ".Net" addin to create test cases. My question is any updates in QTP recognising third party controls like infragestics. Plz let me know the updates in this regard. Thanks, Anu >Hello: > >I am helping the QA team at FRx Software to automate their testing efforts. My specialty is in Mercury Interactive tool set. We are using QuickTest Professional (QTP) with ".Net" addin to create test cases. My dilemma is with the Essential Grid control which is rendered in Virtual Mode. The QTP tool is not able to identify this control or any methods associated with it. While working with Mercury support they said that they support "standard" System.Window.Form controls and not 3rd party controls. Slowly Mercury is building their support for 3rd party controls, e.g. with ComponentOne or Infragistics. Do you have any suggestions or input as how to identify the Grid Control using automated testing toolset? > >Thanks,

AS Azfar Sajid January 12, 2005 02:49 PM UTC

I have been successful in using SyncFusion Grid''s native methods to navigate around the grid. Mercury''s QuickTest Professional tool gives you the ability to use ".Object" property for an object to expose native properties and methods. The development environment of QTP is VB-Script. For example using the following statement: Set myGrid = SwfWindow("Forecaster Ion").SwfWindow("ACCOUNT").SwfObject("Account").Object Where SwfWindow("Forecaster Ion") is the main window; SwfWindow("ACCOUNT") is the tab control; and SwfObject("Account") is the Syncfusion grid. I can use: rows = myGrid.RowCount to get the number of rows. Similary to get a collection of selected rows (GridRangeInfo) in a Grid and display them I can do the follwoing: set GridRangeInfoList = myGrid.Selections.GetSelectedRows(true, false) cnt = GridRangeInfoList.Count for i = 0 to cnt -1 msgbox "''" & GridRangeInfoList.item(i) & "''" msgbox GridRangeInfoList.item(i).top msgbox GridRangeInfoList.item(i).bottom next My issue is that I cannot seem to create an instance of GridRangeInfo so that I can programmatically select rows in a Grid. Going through your Forum I discovered the following two statements: this.gridAvailHoldings.Selections.Add(sGrid.GridRangeInfo.Rows(iTop, iBottom)) and grid.Selections.Add(GridRangeInfo.Row(rowIndex)); which would allow a user to select a row or a range of rows but I am unable to create an instance of the "GridRangeInfo" object. Looking at the above examples if you can help me in creating an instance of ''GridRangeInfo" I will much appreciate it. I am also attaching a snapshot of the grid for your perusal. SyncFusion Grid_2267.zip

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team January 12, 2005 04:37 PM UTC

Hi Azfar, Use GridRangeInfo.Cell(row, col) to create an instance of a range object for one cell. Other methods are: GridRangeInfo.Cells, GridRangeInfo.Row, GridRangeInfo.Rows, GridRangeInfo.Table, GridRangeInfo.Col, GridRangeInfo.Cols and GridRangeInfo.Empty. All these static methods create an instance of GridRangeInfo. Stefan >I have been successful in using SyncFusion Grid''s native methods to navigate around the grid. Mercury''s QuickTest Professional tool gives you the ability to use ".Object" property for an object to expose native properties and methods. The development environment of QTP is VB-Script. For example using the following statement: > >Set myGrid = SwfWindow("Forecaster Ion").SwfWindow("ACCOUNT").SwfObject("Account").Object > >Where SwfWindow("Forecaster Ion") is the main window; SwfWindow("ACCOUNT") is the tab control; and SwfObject("Account") is the Syncfusion grid. > >I can use: >rows = myGrid.RowCount >to get the number of rows. > >Similary to get a collection of selected rows (GridRangeInfo) in a Grid and display them I can do the follwoing: > >set GridRangeInfoList = myGrid.Selections.GetSelectedRows(true, false) > >cnt = GridRangeInfoList.Count > >for i = 0 to cnt -1 >msgbox "''" & GridRangeInfoList.item(i) & "''" >msgbox GridRangeInfoList.item(i).top >msgbox GridRangeInfoList.item(i).bottom >next > >My issue is that I cannot seem to create an instance of GridRangeInfo so that I can programmatically select rows in a Grid. Going through your Forum I discovered the following two statements: >this.gridAvailHoldings.Selections.Add(sGrid.GridRangeInfo.Rows(iTop, iBottom)) >and >grid.Selections.Add(GridRangeInfo.Row(rowIndex)); >which would allow a user to select a row or a range of rows but I am unable to create an instance of the "GridRangeInfo" object. Looking at the above examples if you can help me in creating an instance of ''GridRangeInfo" I will much appreciate it. > >I am also attaching a snapshot of the grid for your perusal. > > >SyncFusion Grid_2267.zip > >

AS Azfar Sajid January 12, 2005 06:16 PM UTC

Thank you much for your reply. Looking at the following examples to create an instance of the Grid object as well as a collection of GridRangeInfo object do you think you can help me in constructing a statement which would create an instance of a range object as you have mentioned. I am not sure of the class heirarchy as how to create GridRangeInfo.Cell object. If I simply do the follwoing: set myRange = myGrid.Selections.Ranges, I think I am creating a Range object but I still cannot seem to add rows in the collection. Set myGrid = SwfWindow("Forecaster Ion").SwfWindow("ACCOUNT").SwfObject("Account").Object Set GridRangeInfoList = myGrid.Selections.GetSelectedRows(true,false) >Hi Azfar, > >Use GridRangeInfo.Cell(row, col) to create an instance of a range object for one cell. > >Other methods are: GridRangeInfo.Cells, GridRangeInfo.Row, GridRangeInfo.Rows, GridRangeInfo.Table, GridRangeInfo.Col, GridRangeInfo.Cols and GridRangeInfo.Empty. > >All these static methods create an instance of GridRangeInfo. > >Stefan > >>I have been successful in using SyncFusion Grid''s native methods to navigate around the grid. Mercury''s QuickTest Professional tool gives you the ability to use ".Object" property for an object to expose native properties and methods. The development environment of QTP is VB-Script. For example using the following statement: >> >>Set myGrid = SwfWindow("Forecaster Ion").SwfWindow("ACCOUNT").SwfObject("Account").Object >> >>Where SwfWindow("Forecaster Ion") is the main window; SwfWindow("ACCOUNT") is the tab control; and SwfObject("Account") is the Syncfusion grid. >> >>I can use: >>rows = myGrid.RowCount >>to get the number of rows. >> >>Similary to get a collection of selected rows (GridRangeInfo) in a Grid and display them I can do the follwoing: >> >>set GridRangeInfoList = myGrid.Selections.GetSelectedRows(true, false) >> >>cnt = GridRangeInfoList.Count >> >>for i = 0 to cnt -1 >>msgbox "''" & GridRangeInfoList.item(i) & "''" >>msgbox GridRangeInfoList.item(i).top >>msgbox GridRangeInfoList.item(i).bottom >>next >> >>My issue is that I cannot seem to create an instance of GridRangeInfo so that I can programmatically select rows in a Grid. Going through your Forum I discovered the following two statements: >>this.gridAvailHoldings.Selections.Add(sGrid.GridRangeInfo.Rows(iTop, iBottom)) >>and >>grid.Selections.Add(GridRangeInfo.Row(rowIndex)); >>which would allow a user to select a row or a range of rows but I am unable to create an instance of the "GridRangeInfo" object. Looking at the above examples if you can help me in creating an instance of ''GridRangeInfo" I will much appreciate it. >> >>I am also attaching a snapshot of the grid for your perusal. >> >> >>SyncFusion Grid_2267.zip >> >>

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team January 12, 2005 10:34 PM UTC

Just calling GridRangeInfo.Cell(2,2) creates a GridRangeInfo object for the cell 2,2. Calling GridRangeInfo.Row(2) creates a row range holding row 2. So, in C#, the first example would look like: GridRangeInfo range = GridRangeInfo.Cell(2,2);

AM Arnab Mondal May 18, 2005 06:40 PM UTC

Hi, I''m having a similar problem as mentioned in the thread. I''m also automating through QTP, and unable to set a row. I tried the method mentioned by you. but it''s still not working. Plz check the attached screenshot. So, could you plz tell me how i can select a row? Arnab >Just calling GridRangeInfo.Cell(2,2) creates a GridRangeInfo object for the cell 2,2. Calling GridRangeInfo.Row(2) creates a row range holding row 2. So, in C#, the first example would look like: > >GridRangeInfo range = GridRangeInfo.Cell(2,2); QTP_Error_4046.zip

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team May 18, 2005 08:03 PM UTC

You can select a row (2) using: grid.Selections.Ranges.Add(GridRangeInfo.Row(2));

RD Rotem Dotan August 21, 2005 09:41 AM UTC

Hi, I saw your previous conversation, and I also have the same problem. I was wondering if you have any updates about communicating between SyncFusion controls and the QTP... We are trying to use the Mercury''s .Net extensibility, but we experiencing a lot of problems... Is there a chance that you have a better solution? Thanks in advance, Rotem.

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team August 21, 2005 11:18 AM UTC

Here is a link to a doc with the latest information we have on automated testing. http://www.syncfusion.com/Support/user/uploads/AutomatedTesting_1ba05928.zip

RV Ramamoorthy Vegi January 11, 2006 01:22 AM UTC

Hi, We are using lot of Syncfusion grids in our application. We are using QTP to test the application. From the above posts I was able to get the Row count. Is there a way to get text from a particulkar cell ? Thanks, Naidu

ST stanleyj Syncfusion Team January 11, 2006 05:15 AM UTC

Hi Naidu, We have almost completed for our grids to be recognized in QTP. Please open an incident through DirectTrac and we will provide you the information. Thank you for using Syncfusion products. Best regards, Stanley

HH Herb Henderson January 17, 2006 10:04 PM UTC

What is the status of your solution to the QTP .net add-in extensibility API ? I am just another QA user of QTP testing a Syncfusion grid in a windows environment. Will you test your dll before you send it out

HH Herb Henderson January 17, 2006 10:15 PM UTC

Stanley, any progress on the dll solution ?

ST stanleyj Syncfusion Team January 18, 2006 04:23 AM UTC

Hi Herb, Your DT incident is updated. Thank you for using Syncfusion products. Regards, Stanley

SB Sandeep Bantode May 2, 2007 09:03 AM UTC

Hi,

I am another user who is facing same problem with infragistics web grid. So I have used QTP 9.2 with .Net add-ins. But still problem is persists.

B.Sandeep

>Hi Herb,
>
>Your DT incident is updated. Thank you for using Syncfusion products.
>
>Regards,
>Stanley

AD Ajinkya Deshpande January 14, 2008 03:33 PM UTC

Mr Clay,

Simply calling
GridRangeInfo range = GridRangeInfo.Cell(32,25). Isn't working.

Can you please give a sample working code?

>Hi,
>
>I'm having a similar problem as mentioned in the thread. I'm also automating through QTP, and unable to set a row. I tried the method mentioned by you. but it's still not working.
>
>Plz check the attached screenshot. So, could you plz tell me how i can select a row?
>Arnab
>
>>Just calling GridRangeInfo.Cell(2,2) creates a GridRangeInfo object for the cell 2,2. Calling GridRangeInfo.Row(2) creates a row range holding row 2. So, in C#, the first example would look like:
>>
>>GridRangeInfo range = GridRangeInfo.Cell(2,2);
>
>QTP_Error_4046.zip
>
>

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon