We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date

How to hide table columns, but show them in edit/add dialog?

Hello,

I'm using a DataGrid to display a model (Account) that has a large number of fields. I've hidden some of the columns by specifying "visible=false", so that the table fits on the screen. However, I want users to be able to edit ALL fields, even if they're not visible on the main table. I also want users to have control over all fields when adding a new row. I'm using "mode=Dialog" for my edit settings.

To be clear, I do NOT want to create two custom templates (for the edit and add dialogs respectively), because that's unmaintainable, and I'm happy with the default Syncfusion dialog styling. I'm looking for an automatic way to do this, or at least one with the minimal amount of code.

Thanks,
DerekB

10 Replies

TS Thavasianand Sankaranarayanan Syncfusion Team April 10, 2019 10:47 AM UTC

Hi Derek, 

Greetings from Syncfusion support. 

We can achieve your requirement using the dialog template edit mode in Grid. 

Refer the below documentation for further details. 

Please let us know if you need further assistance on this. 

Regards, 
Thavasianand S. 

DE derekb April 10, 2019 04:37 PM UTC

Hi Thavasianand,

As I said, I don't want to create templates. First I have to specify all the columns manually for the main table, because data annotations aren't supported, and now I have to do it again for two templates (edit and add)? That's a lot of code duplication. Isn't there any other way to do this? I only need two or three extra fields in my edit / add dialogs compared to the main table, so I would like to be able to simply add the columns (or maybe mark them as visible?) for those dialogs, instead of having to specify each and every field in my entity.

Thanks,
DerekB

PS Pavithra Subramaniyam Syncfusion Team April 11, 2019 08:39 AM UTC

Hi Derekb, 

You can achieve this requirement by simply change that particular columns visible property value in while perform the edit action. Please refer the following code snippet, 

<ejs-grid id="Grid" dataSource="ViewBag.data" allowPaging="true" actionBegin="actionBegin" toolbar="@(new List<string>() { "Add", "Edit", "Delete", "Update", "Cancel" })"> 
    <e-grid-editSettings allowAdding="true" allowEditing="true" allowDeleting="true" mode="Dialog"></e-grid-editSettings> 
    <e-grid-columns> 
        <e-grid-column field="OrderID" headerText="Order ID" isPrimaryKey="true" width="100"></e-grid-column> 
        <e-grid-column field="CustomerID" headerText="Customer ID" width="120"></e-grid-column> 
        <e-grid-column field="Freight" headerText="Freight" visible="false" format="C2" editType="numbericedit" width="120"></e-grid-column> 
        <e-grid-column field="OrderDate" headerText="Order Date" visible="false" editType="datepickeredit" format="yMd" width="130"></e-grid-column> 
        <e-grid-column field="ShipCity" headerText="Ship City" editType="dropdownedit" width="120"></e-grid-column> 
    </e-grid-columns> 
</ejs-grid> 

<script type="text/javascript"> 
    var fields = []; 
    function actionBegin(args) { 
        if (args.requestType == "beginEdit" || args.requestType == "add") { 
            for (var i = 0; i < this.columns.length; i++) { 
                if (!this.columns[i].visible) { 
                    fields.push(this.columns[i].field); 
                    this.columns[i].visible = true; 
                } 
            } 
        } 
        if (args.requestType == "save" || args.requestType == "cancel") { 
                for (var j = 0; j < fields.length; j++) { 
                    if (this.columns[i].field == fields[j]) { 
                        this.columns[i].visible = false; 
                    } 
                } 
            } 
        } 
    } 
</script> 

In this code we have changed the visible property value simultaneously while perform CRUD action in Grid. We have prepared the sample based on this requirement and you can download that sample from the below link, 

https://ej2.syncfusion.com/javascript/documentation/api/grid/column/#visible 

Please get back to us for further assistance. 

Regards, 
Pavithra S. 

DA Danyelle January 22, 2021 01:11 PM UTC

This is not working for me. I also tried to follow your example in the guide and when I put the ActionBecgin part in my grid it returns a blank page with this error in the javascript browser.

Here is my code:
<div class="inventoryGrid">
    @Html.EJS().Grid("InventoryGrid").DataSource(DataManager => { DataManager.Json(@Model.Inventory.ToArray()).InsertUrl("/Home/AddInventoryItem").UpdateUrl("/Home/UpdateInventoryItem").Adaptor("RemoteSaveAdaptor"); }).AllowFiltering(true).AllowSorting(true).ActionBegin("actionBegin").Columns(col =>
    {
    col.Field("InventoryID").HeaderText("Id").IsPrimaryKey(true).IsIdentity(true).AllowEditing(false).Width("40").Add();
    col.Field("HECNumber").HeaderText("HEC Number").Width("50").Visible(false).Add();

}).AllowPaging(true).FilterSettings(filter => filter.Columns(filterColumns)).SortSettings(sort => sort.Columns(sortColumns)).PageSettings(page => page.PageSize(15)).EditSettings(edit => { edit.AllowAdding(true).AllowEditing(true).AllowDeleting(true).Mode(Syncfusion.EJ2.Grids.EditMode.Dialog); }).Toolbar(new List<string>() { "Add", "Edit" }).Render()

</div>

@Html.EJS().ScriptManager()

<script type="text/javascript">
    var fields = [];
    function actionBegin(args) {
        if (args.requestType == "beginEdit" || args.requestType == "add") {
                if (!this.columns[i].visible) {
                    fields.push(this.columns[i].field);
                }
            }
        }
        if (args.requestType == "save" || args.requestType == "cancel") {
                for (var j = 0; j < fields.length; j++) {
                    if (this.columns[i].field == fields[j]) {
                    }
                }
            }
        }
    }

VS Vignesh Sivagnanam Syncfusion Team January 25, 2021 09:42 AM UTC

Hi Danyelle 

Greetings from Syncfusion support 

Based on your query we have prepared a sample using your code example and we are able to reproduce the reported issue at our end. To resolve the mentioned issue we suggest to add the ScriptManager at the bottom of the page. Please refer the below code example for your reference 

Code Example:   
@Html.EJS().Grid("RemoteSaveAdaptor").DataSource(dataManager => { dataManager.Json(@Model.orderData.ToArray()).InsertUrl("/Home/Insert").RemoveUrl("/Home/Delete").UpdateUrl("/Home/Update").Adaptor("RemoteSaveAdaptor"); }).Columns(col => 
    col.Field("OrderID").HeaderText("Order ID").IsPrimaryKey(true).Width("30%").Add(); 
    col.Field("EmployeeID").HeaderText("Employee ID").Width("150").Add(); 
    col.Field("CustomerID").HeaderText("CustomerID").Width("70").Visible(false).Add(); 

}).AllowPaging().ActionBegin("actionBegin").ActionComplete("actionComplete").AllowSorting(true).Toolbar(new List<string>() { "Add", "Edit", "Delete", "Update", "Cancel" }).EditSettings(edit => { edit.AllowAdding(true).AllowEditing(true).AllowDeleting(true).Mode(Syncfusion.EJ2.Grids.EditMode.Dialog); }).Render() 

<script> 
  function actionBegin(args)
    if ((args.requestType === 'beginEdit' || args.requestType === 'add')) { 
        if (this.columns[i].field == "CustomerID") { 
        } 

} 
    } 
  } 
  function actionComplete(args) { 
    if (args.requestType === 'save') { 
        if (this.columns[i].field == "CustomerID") { 
        } 

} 
    } 
  } 

</script> 
@Html.EJS().ScriptManager() 

Please get back to us if you require any further assistance. 

Regards, 
Vignesh Sivagnanam 

SE SeattlePSE February 17, 2021 12:37 AM UTC

Can you please advise on how to do this with syncfusion web forms?

this.columns does not see to be a valid array of column names?

RR Rajapandi Ravi Syncfusion Team February 17, 2021 11:13 AM UTC

Hi SeattlePSE, 

Thanks for the Update 

We have analyzed your query and we could see that you are facing the problem with column names. In our previous update, we have taken the column field name (this.columns[i].field) which was already defined in the datasource. Before we start providing solution on your query, we need some information for our clarification. So please share the below details that would be helpful for us to provide better solution. 

1)      Please confirm whether you are using EJ1 or EJ2 Grid. 

2)      Please share your complete Grid rendering code. 

Regards,
Rajapandi R 

SE SeattlePSE February 17, 2021 06:09 PM UTC

EJ1 with a SQL Data Source. (without a template)

Thanks

SE SeattlePSE replied to Michael Katona February 17, 2021 06:09 PM UTC

EJ1 with a SQL Data Source. (without a template)

Thanks

really need a code block on this form, keeps wiping this out when I edit my post.

<ej:Grid ID="Grid1" runat="server" AllowPaging="True" AllowResizing="True" CssClass="" DataSourceCachingMode="None" DataSourceID="SqlDataSource1" EnableLoadOnDemand="False" MinWidth="0" AllowFiltering="True" AllowMultiSorting="True" AllowSorting="True">
                <ToolbarSettings ShowToolbar="True" ToolbarItems="search,add,edit,delete">
                </ToolbarSettings>
                <Columns>
                    <ej:Column DataType="number" Field="Supplier_ID" EditType="DropdownEdit" Visible="true">
                    </ej:Column>
                    <ej:Column AllowEditing="False" DataType="number" Field="ID" IsIdentity="True" IsPrimaryKey="True" Visible="False">
                    <ej:Column DataType="string" Field="inputEmail" HeaderText="Reviewer Email" Visible="false">
                </Columns>
                <ClientSideEvents ActionBegin="actionBegin" /> 
                <PageSettings PageSize="35" />
                <EditSettings AllowAdding="True" AllowDeleting="True" AllowEditing="True" EditMode="Dialog" ShowDeleteConfirmDialog="True" />
            </ej:Grid>

FS Farveen Sulthana Thameeztheen Basha Syncfusion Team February 18, 2021 04:21 PM UTC

Hi Seattle, 

We have checked your query and while using EJ1 Grid, the reported requirement (show columns only on Editing) is not feasible while using Dialog EditMode. We can only show visible columns in EditForm. To achieve this requirement we suggest you to use DialogTemplate EditMode. By using Dialog Template Editing you can use your own customized form (For ex:- you can define your desired field inside the Template and it will display only on Editing). We can show additional columns only on Template mode of Editing in EditForm.  

Refer to the documentation and Demo links:- 

Please get back to us if you need any further assistance. 

Regards, 
Farveen sulthana T 

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon