We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date
close icon

Filtering a grouped SfListView

Grateful if given or pointed to an example of searchbar filtering for a grouped SfListView

Thanks in advance.

Francis

10 Replies

GP Gnana Priya Namasivayam Syncfusion Team December 2, 2019 12:00 PM UTC

Hi Francis, 

We would like to inform you that we have already documented regarding grouping and customized filtering in our SfListView documentation. Please find the sample and code snippets from below link for your reference. 

Regards, 
Gnana Priya N 

FT Francis Tang December 2, 2019 12:47 PM UTC

Thanks but actually I wanted filtering for a grouped list view instead, not the separated examples you listed below.

I guess filtering for a grouped listview would be quite different from filtering for an ungrouped one.

Really grateful if you can demonstrate how to search a grouped listview with Syncfusion. I don't need any sorting of items in the list though. Thanks.

Francis

GP Gnana Priya Namasivayam Syncfusion Team December 3, 2019 12:10 PM UTC

Hi Francis, 

We have attached the filtering sample along with grouping as requested meanwhile we would like to inform that you can filter items based on the customizing model property like in FilterContacts method below and when the text searched in filtered in the list, group header with respect to the filtered items will also display in view and filtering is same for grouped & ungrouped listview. We have attatched the sample for your reference, please find from following link. 

ViewModel.cs 

private bool FilterContacts(object obj) 
{ 
   if (searchBar == null || searchBar.Text == null) 
     return true; 

var taskInfo = obj as TaskInfo; 

return (taskInfo.Title.ToLower().Contains(searchBar.Text.ToLower()) 
                || taskInfo.Description.ToLower().Contains(searchBar.Text.ToLower()));        } 

Please let us know if you need any further assistance. 

Regards, 
Gnana Priya N 

FT Francis Tang December 4, 2019 03:40 AM UTC

Hi Gnana,

Thanks very much for your sample code on grouped-listview filtering.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I understand Syncfusion searchbar provides a multi-criteria search. Can one search like:

"Keyword1"  "Keyword2"
"Keyword2"  "Keyword1"
etc
<== assuming both words appear in one particular item being searched

and still can locate that same searched item irrespective or the order of those words? Grateful if an example can also be demonstrated.

Another small issue: The group title in your example showed only the first character of each title. Please help to check. Thanks.

Francis

GP Gnana Priya Namasivayam Syncfusion Team December 4, 2019 01:30 PM UTC

Hi Liam, 

Regarding Filtering: 

You can filter the ListView collection based on model properties using ListView.DataSource.Filter predicate by defining the bool method to this predicate and you can receive the complete model class properties in your FilterContacts method through which you can do customized filtering using code logic based on your requirement. 

private void OnTextChanged(object obj) 
{ 
     var grid = (obj as Grid); 
     searchBar = grid.Children[1] as SearchBar; 
     var listview = grid.Children[2] as SfListView; 
     if (listview!=null && listview.DataSource != null) 
     { 
        listview.DataSource.Filter = FilterContacts; 
        listview.DataSource.RefreshFilter(); 
     } 
     listview.RefreshView(); 
} 

{ 
       return true; 

var taskInfo = obj as TaskInfo; 
     return (taskInfo.Title.ToLower().Contains(searchBar.Text.ToLower()) 
            || taskInfo.Description.ToLower().Contains(searchBar.Text.ToLower())); 
} 

Regarding group header customization: 

Here, while adding GroupDescriptor to Listview model property we can customize using KeySelector like below. 

listView.DataSource.GroupDescriptors.Add(new GroupDescriptor() 
{ 
    PropertyName = "Tag", 
    KeySelector = (object obj1) => 
    { 
       var item = (obj1 as TaskInfo); 
       return item.Tag[0].ToString(); 
    } 
}); 

Regards, 
Gnana Priya N 

FT Francis Tang December 4, 2019 03:49 PM UTC

Thanks. But I need an example showing more than one keyword search in random order, please. Also, the group header in your last example only showed its first character. Please check.

Thanks.

Francis

GP Gnana Priya Namasivayam Syncfusion Team December 5, 2019 01:48 PM UTC

Hi Francis, 

We would like to inform you that we have prepared the model sample to show filter based on two Key values in SearchBar_TextChanged event. You can see from below screenshot, search bar filter the text containing both Bug(PropertyName = Tag) & Auto(PropertyName= Description) and also we have customized GroupHeader’s text to display full text of Tag property(in previous update we have showed you model to display the single charater of Tag property like ContactsList). Kindly find the respected code snippets and sample from following link for your reference. 

ViewModel.cs 

private void OnTextChanged(object obj) 
{ 
    var grid = (obj as Grid); 
    searchBar = grid.Children[1] as SearchBar; 
    var listview = grid.Children[2] as SfListView; 

if (listview != null && listview.DataSource != null) 
    { 
       listview.DataSource.Filter = FilterContacts; 
      listview.DataSource.RefreshFilter(); 
    } 
    listview.RefreshView(); 
} 
{ 

bool isFiltered=false; 
      return true; 
   var taskInfo = obj as TaskInfo;    //Codes for customize filter based on 2 keys 

string str = searchBar.Text; 
   char[] separator = { ',', ' ' }; 
   String[] strlist = str.Split(separator); 

foreach (String s in strlist) 
   { 
       if( (taskInfo.Title.ToLower().Contains(s) || taskInfo.Tag.ToLower().Contains(s))) 
       { 
          isFiltered = true; 
       } 
  } 
  return isFiltered; 
} 

Screenshot: 

Regards, 
Gnana Priya N 

FT Francis Tang December 5, 2019 02:21 PM UTC

Thanks very much for your current revised example which should be beneficial to my present app development.

Best wishes.

Francis

GP Gnana Priya Namasivayam Syncfusion Team December 6, 2019 04:16 AM UTC

Hi Francis, 

Thanks for the update. We are glad that provided solution meets your requirement. Kindly let us know if you have any further queries. 

Regards, 
Gnana Priya N 

FT Francis Tang December 6, 2019 04:19 AM UTC

Thanks. I think you guys are doing a superb job in helping users of your products.

Francis

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon