We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date
Starting in 2019, the Reporting control is no longer included in Essential Studio. If you're experiencing issues with the Syncfusion Reporting Platform, Report Viewer, Report Designer, or Report Writer, we recommend migrating to Bold Reports, our dedicated reporting platform.

Bold Reports offers a comprehensive suite of tools and features for all your reporting needs, and we will help you make a smooth transition from the discontinued control. Our support team at https://support.boldreports.com/ is here to assist you with any questions or difficulties you may encounter during the migration process.

We thank you for choosing Syncfusion and appreciate your understanding.

Report viewer issue with code along in documentation

Dear All,

I am trying to follow the steps of creating a report viewer and loading a sample .rdl file. Since I could find not a corresponding description for report controller in the EJ2 documentation, I used the sample provided in the EJ1 documentationhttps://help.syncfusion.com/aspnetmvc/reportviewer/getting-started. I am using VS2019, .NET 4.8 and Syncfusion V 17.02.34. Unfortunately, following the steps in the documentation, the report viewer and the report are bot not displayed correctly, instead I get the following error (roughly translated from source language):

Server error in application /.
Resource could not be found.
Description: HTTP 404. The requested resource or one if its dependencies may have been removed, renamed or might be temporarily not available. Check if the following URL was written correctly.

Requested URL: /api/ReportApi/PostReportAction

Moreover, when adding @using Syncfusion.JavaScript.ReportViewer to Index.cshtml, I get an error, although this using statement is explicitly mentioned in the documentation.

Could you please assist me in resolving this matter? Please let me know if you require additional information.

Thanks a mil in advance for any help provided.

PS: Report Viewer could not be selected as an option in the dropdown 'Control' when creating this post.

Attachment: 20191125_repiort_viewer_error_d84503da.zip

7 Replies

VS Vinoth Srinivasan Syncfusion Team November 26, 2019 06:42 AM UTC

Hi Chris, 

I am trying to follow the steps of creating a report viewer and loading a sample .rdl file. Since I could find not a corresponding description for report controller in the EJ2 documentation 
Currently, we don’t have our Reporting control in EJ2 and you can use our EJ1 ReportViewer control along with EJ2 controls. 
 I used the sample provided in the EJ1 documentationhttps://help.syncfusion.com/aspnetmvc/reportviewer/getting-started. I am using VS2019, .NET 4.8 and Syncfusion V 17.02.34. Unfortunately, following the steps in the documentation, the report viewer and the report are bot not displayed correctly, instead I get the following error (roughly translated from source language): 

Server error in application /. 
Resource could not be found. 
Description: HTTP 404. The requested resource or one if its dependencies may have been removed, renamed or might be temporarily not available. Check if the following URL was written correctly. 

Requested URL: /api/ReportApi/PostReportAction 

Moreover, when adding @using Syncfusion.JavaScript.ReportViewer to Index.cshtml, I get an error, although this using statement is explicitly mentioned in the documentation. 

Could you please assist me in resolving this matter? Please let me know if you require additional information. 

Thanks a mil in advance for any help provided. 

We suspect that the reported issue may occur when we miss to register our controller details in Global.asax file as shown in the below link. 

So, could you please ensure this at your end and if you still face any issue, then share your application with us for further validation. 
Bold Reports details. 
As per our plan of branding the reporting components from our Syncfusion Essential Studio, we were introduced Bold Reports Report Viewer SDK from Syncfusion. Based on this migration, will not have further feature updates with Syncfusion Essential Studio products from now onwards. You can get started to integrate the ReportViewer reporting functionalities into your ASP.NET MVC application using Bold Reports Report Viewer SDK. If you have already started the integration using Syncfusion Essential Studio, then you need to consider migrating the reporting components with Bold Reports libraries with changes in namespace and declarations for getting new feature updates. You can refer the below help documentation for your reference. 

Also, you can make use of the below documentation to migrate the ReportViewer component. If you are having the application with Syncfusion Essential Studio libraries. 

Regards, 
Vinoth S. 

CR CR November 27, 2019 11:14 AM UTC

Dear Vinoth,

Thanks a mil for getting back to me regarding my post. Also thank you for clarifying that both EJ1 and EJ2 are to be used depending on the control that is to be implemented in the respective project. I'll try to remember taking a look at both documentations from now on with regards to the control I am working with. 

I went through my Global.asax as you suggested. Apart from some default lines implemented automatically upon project creation, I would argue that the Global.asax is pretty much the same.

namespace SyncfusionReportViewerNew
{
    public class MvcApplication : System.Web.HttpApplication
    {
        protected void Application_Start(object sender, EventArgs e)
        {
            AreaRegistration.RegisterAllAreas();
            FilterConfig.RegisterGlobalFilters(GlobalFilters.Filters);
            RouteConfig.RegisterRoutes(RouteTable.Routes);
            BundleConfig.RegisterBundles(BundleTable.Bundles);

GlobalConfiguration.Configuration.Routes.MapHttpRoute(
                name: "DefaultApi",
                routeTemplate: "api/{controller}/{action}/{id}",
                defaults: new { id = RouteParameter.Optional });
        }
    }
}

I am still getting an error message when trying to import @using Syncfusion.JavaScript.ReportViewer into the Index.html.

I am still a bit confused about the last part in your reply in which you mentioned the Bold reports. I do have some question about Am I right in the assumption that this is a new product? If so, will the current report view be phased out gradually (with no future updates made to EJ1 components)? Would you suggest switching to the Bold reports and would that require a new licence? I'll surely take a look at the trial version.

Please let me know if and where I might upload the current project should require the whole thing for analysis. 

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards

Chris

VS Vinoth Srinivasan Syncfusion Team November 28, 2019 11:18 AM UTC

Hi Chris, 

Thanks for your update. 

Thanks a mil for getting back to me regarding my post. Also thank you for clarifying that both EJ1 and EJ2 are to be used depending on the control that is to be implemented in the respective project. I'll try to remember taking a look at both documentations from now on with regards to the control I am working with.  
Please let us know if you face any issue while using our ReportViewer with EJ2 controls. 
 went through my Global.asax as you suggested. Apart from some default lines implemented automatically upon project creation, I would argue that the Global.asax is pretty much the same. 

{ 
        { 

} 
    } 

I am still getting an error message when trying to import @using Syncfusion.JavaScript.ReportViewer into the Index.html. 

Please let me know if and where I might upload the current project should require the whole thing for analysis. 

Could you please share your sample application with us? You can compress your application and upload the zip file in this forum for our validation. 

Note: Please remove bin and object folder from application. 
I am still a bit confused about the last part in your reply in which you mentioned the Bold reports. I do have some question about Am I right in the assumption that this is a new product? If so, will the current report view be phased out gradually (with no future updates made to EJ1 components)? Would you suggest switching to the Bold reports and would that require a new licence? I'll surely take a look at the trial version. 

Our Bold Reports is a rebranded product and yes, we don’t have a further feature updates in our Essential Studio Report Viewer. You can use your existing license for downloading the Bold Reports ReportViewer SDK by logging in with your Syncfusion account in our Bold Reports site. 

Regards, 
Vinoth S. 

CR CR November 28, 2019 01:46 PM UTC

Dear Vinoth

Thank you for your update and the link to the Bold Reports (will try it out at a later stage). As discussed previously, I attached a zip file containing the sample project. 

Looking forward to your reply.

Kind regards

Chris

Attachment: SynfusionReportViewerNew_copy_3d9f1ee2.zip

VS Vinoth Srinivasan Syncfusion Team November 29, 2019 06:51 AM UTC

Hi Chris, 

Thanks for sharing the application. 

We have checked the mentioned issue with your shared application and the mentioned issue occurs when you have registered the WebAPI controller after registering the route config. So, could you please change global configuration as shown in below code example. 

{ 
    { 
        { 

} 
    } 
} 

Also could you please remove the “@using Syncfusion.JavaScript.ReportViewer” because our JavaScript don’t have a Report Viewer property and we will remove this in our help documentation as soon as possible. 

We have modified your sample and it can be downloaded from below location. 

Note: In Your shared application you have used “mvc.syncfusion.com” online server as datasource, now this demo datasource server is not active. So, we have modified the datasource connection with our working online SQL server in the report.  

Regards, 
Vinoth S. 

CR CR November 29, 2019 01:16 PM UTC

Dear Vinoth,

Thank you for your update and your suggestions. I completely forgot about having to change the report file data source, since I copied the sample report from another project, thanks for pointing this out. I also compared the sample project you kindly provided with my existing solution and applied changes accordingly. Code is working with the sample report being displayed properly. The matter can be closed.

Thanks a mil for your help. 

Kind regards

Chris

VS Vinoth Srinivasan Syncfusion Team November 29, 2019 01:20 PM UTC

Hi Chris, 

Thanks for your update. Please let us know if you need further assistance on this. 

Regards, 
Vinoth S. 

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon