We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date
close icon

How to Autofit to Contents in a Word table?

Is there a way to autofit to contents all of the table columns in a Word document created with DocIO?

14 Replies

PR Poorani Rajendran Syncfusion Team October 18, 2019 09:26 AM UTC

Hi Bert,

Thank you for contacting Syncfusion support.

To meet your requirement, we suggest you use IsAutoResized API to auto resize of table to automatically resize all cell width based on its content. Please use the below highlighted code snippet in your sample application.

//Creates an instance of WordDocument class (Empty Word Document)
WordDocument document = new WordDocument();
//Opens an existing Word document into DocIO instance
document.Open("Table.docx", FormatType.Docx);
//Accesses the instance of the first section in the Word document
WSection section = document.Sections[0];
//Accesses the instance of the first table in the section
WTable table = section.Tables[0] as WTable;
//Specifies the auto resize of table to automatically resize all cell width based on its content
table.TableFormat.IsAutoResized = true;
//Saves and closes the document instance
document.Save("TableFormatting.docx", FormatType.Docx);
document.Close();

Please refer the below UG documentation link to know more about working with table and apply formatting to table in Word document using DocIO:
https://help.syncfusion.com/file-formats/docio/working-with-tables#apply-formatting-to-table-row-and-cell

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Regards,
Poorani Rajendran

NI Nick May 7, 2022 10:05 AM UTC

I am copying the above example (or at least I think I am!):

var table = section.AddTable();

I am then saving as a PDF:

var render = new DocIORenderer();

var pdfDocument = render.ConvertToPDF(document);

I am using the latest versions of the Nuget packages:

I am seeing two issues.  Firstly the auto size doesn't seem to be working.  Secondly, the table format doesn't seem to be respecting the right margin (the right margin is actually set to the same size as the left):

I am probably doing something wrong and would welcome any pointers.

Thanks,

Nick

AN Anto Nihil Sahaya Raj Syncfusion Team May 9, 2022 08:46 AM UTC

Hi Nick,

We have tried to reproduce the reported problem (auto size doesn't work and table format doesn't seem to be respecting the right margin using DocIO) using the given details, but it works properly at our end. We suspect that the reported problem might be due to the contents inside the input Word document and code snippets which used at your end. So, to analyze further on the reported problem with your requirement, could you please provide us the following things from your end,
  1. Input Word document.
  2. Complete code snippets of adding table and its format in the Word document.
  3. Output PDF document generated at your end.

Note: If you have any confidential data in your input Word document, please replace with some dummy data and provide us the same. We just need your document to recreate the problem you face.

Based on the above details, we will analyze further at our end and provide you the appropriate solution at the earliest.

Regards,
Anto Nihil S

NI Nick May 17, 2022 07:26 PM UTC

Thanks for the response, and my apologies for the delay in my reply.  I don't have an input document, I am creating it from the ground up.  I have a single C# class which drives the process.  I declare some member variables:

private WordDocument document;
    private IWSection section;
    private int standardIndent = 40;
    private string standardFont = "Arial";
    private int standardFontSize = 12;

Then in the class constructor, I initialise the document:

// Assign the licence
        Syncfusion.Licensing.SyncfusionLicenseProvider.RegisterLicense("R E D A C T E D");

// Create a new Word Document
        document = new WordDocument();

//Add a new section to the document
        section = document.AddSection();

// Set the margins
        section.PageSetup.Margins = new MarginsF(50, 50, 50, 50);

// Tweak the built-in body text style
        var bodyStyle = (Style)Style.CreateBuiltinStyle(BuiltinStyle.BodyText, document);
        bodyStyle.CharacterFormat.TextColor = Color.Black;
        bodyStyle.CharacterFormat.FontName = standardFont;
        bodyStyle.CharacterFormat.FontSize = standardFontSize;
        document.Styles.Add(bodyStyle);

// And the heading style
        var headStyle = (Style)Style.CreateBuiltinStyle(BuiltinStyle.Heading1, document);
        headStyle.CharacterFormat.TextColor = Color.Black;
        headStyle.CharacterFormat.FontName = standardFont;
        headStyle.CharacterFormat.FontSize = standardFontSize;
        headStyle.CharacterFormat.Bold = true;
        document.Styles.Add(headStyle);

Paragraphs are added like this:

public void AddParagraph(string text)
    {
        // Add the paragraph
        var paragraph = section.AddParagraph();

//Applies built-in style and the standard indent for the paragraph
        paragraph.ApplyStyle(BuiltinStyle.BodyText);
        paragraph.ParagraphFormat.LeftIndent = standardIndent;

//Adds new text to the paragraph
        paragraph.AppendText(text);
    }

Tables are added like this:

public void AddTable(List<List<string>> rows)
    {
        var table = section.AddTable();

table.IndentFromLeft = standardIndent; // THOUGHT - IS THIS PUSHING THE TABLE RIGHT?
        table.TableFormat.Paddings.Top = 5;
        table.TableFormat.Paddings.Bottom = 5;
        table.TableFormat.Paddings.Left = 5;
        table.TableFormat.Paddings.Right = 5;

var currentRow = 0;

foreach(var row in rows)
        {
            var thisRow = table.AddRow(false, false);
            var currentColumn = 0;

foreach (var column in row)
            {
                var thisCell = thisRow.AddCell();
                var newText = thisCell.AddParagraph().AppendText(column);
                newText.CharacterFormat.FontName = standardFont;
                newText.CharacterFormat.FontSize = standardFontSize;
                newText.CharacterFormat.Bold = currentRow == 0; // make the first row bold
                currentColumn++;
            }
            currentRow++;
        }
        table.AutoFit(AutoFitType.FitToContent); // TODO Why is this not working?
        section.AddParagraph(); // To get space after the table TODO find a better way
    }

Then, finally, the PDF is created:

//Create instance for DocIORenderer for Word to PDF conversion
        DocIORenderer render = new DocIORenderer();

//Converts Word document to PDF.
        PdfDocument pdfDocument = render.ConvertToPDF(document);

//Release the resources used by the Word document and DocIO Renderer objects.
        render.Dispose();
        document.Dispose();

//Saves the PDF file.
        FileStream outputStream = new FileStream(@"c:\\Logs\\xxxx.pdf", FileMode.Create, FileAccess.Write);
        pdfDocument.Save(outputStream);

//Closes the instance of PDF document object.
        pdfDocument.Close();

//Dispose the instance of FileStream.
        outputStream.Dispose();

I have attached a sample output file.  

I hope that all makes sense - and look forward to hearing what stupid mistake I have made!

Thanks,

Nick

Attachment: xxxx_85e281f0.zip

AN Anto Nihil Sahaya Raj Syncfusion Team May 18, 2022 11:04 AM UTC

Hi Nick,

Regarding auto-size doesn't seem to be working

We can reproduce the reported issue with “Table not resize properly while converting Word document to PDF” in our end, and we suspect it to be a defect. We will validate this issue and update you with more details on 20th May 2022.

Regarding table format doesn't seem to be respecting the right margin

We set the IndentFromLeft value for the table, so table moves towards the right. To fit the table in the given margin, we suggest you skip to set the IndentFromLeft value for the table.

Regarding AutoFit Options

You can resize the table to fit the contents respect to the given contents using AutoFit Option. Please refer the UG documentation to know how to set the AutoFit Option for the table.

https://help.syncfusion.com/file-formats/docio/working-with-tables?cs-save-lang=1&cs-lang=csharp#resize-table

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Regards,

Anto Nihil S

LB Lokesh Baskar Syncfusion Team May 20, 2022 02:09 PM UTC

Hi Nick,

Still, we are validating the reported issue with “Table not resize properly while converting Word document to PDF” on our end. We will validate this issue and update you with more details on 24th May 2022.

Regards,
Lokesh B

NI Nick May 20, 2022 08:59 PM UTC

Hi and thanks for the update.  Looking back at the previous response.....

Regarding table format doesn't seem to be respecting the right margin

We set the IndentFromLeft value for the table, so table moves towards the right. To fit the table in the given margin, we suggest you skip to set the IndentFromLeft value for the table.

I can see what is happening here but, in my example output, you will see that I have indented the table from the left so it aligns with the other text, and doesn't "obscure" the list of heading numbers.  So, simply not indenting the table (which is what I think you are suggesting) will not produce the desired result.  There doesn't seem to be an IndentFromRight function, and the Width setting is read-only - so I am not sure whether it is possible to make the table narrower.  I guess once the column widths can be set based on content, the problem will go away as the table will no longer be the full width of the page.

Regarding AutoFit Options

You can resize the table to fit the contents respect to the given contents using AutoFit Option. Please refer the UG documentation to know how to set the AutoFit Option for the table.

I might be missing something, but I think I am already doing this as shown in my code sample.

Thanks,

Nick

SB Suriya Balamurugan Syncfusion Team May 23, 2022 09:55 AM UTC

Hi Nick,

Please find the below answers for your queries,

I think I am already doing this as shown in my code sample.
Yes, you have done this properly in your code sample. As mentioned earlier, we are validating the reported issue with “Table not resize properly while converting Word document to PDF” on our end. We will validate this issue and update you with more details on 24th May 2022.

I guess once the column widths can be set based on content, the problem will go away as the table will no longer be the full width of the page.
Yes, your understanding is correct. The table does not resize properly based on its content, so table exceeds the right margin. So, we have found that, once the above mentioned AutoFit table based on the content issue gets resolved means that table exceeds the right margin issue will resolved.

Regards,
Suriya Balamurugan.

AN Anto Nihil Sahaya Raj Syncfusion Team May 24, 2022 03:13 PM UTC

Hi Nick,

We have confirmed that the reported issue with Table not resized properly while converting a Word document to PDFis a defect and we have logged a defect report. Since you have been using our weekly release (v20.1.0.52), we will include the fix for this defect in our weekly NuGet release which is estimated to be available on 14th June 2022.

The status of this bug can be tracked through the below link:
https://www.syncfusion.com/feedback/35159/table-not-resized-properly-while-converting-a-word-document-to-pdf

Disclaimer: “Inclusion of this solution in the weekly release may change due to other factors including but not limited to QA checks and works reprioritization.”

Note:
If you require a patch for the reported issue in any of our Essential Studio versions (except weekly release version), then kindly let us know the currently installed version, so that we can provide a patch in that version based on our SLA policy.

Regards,
Anto Nihil S

NI Nick May 24, 2022 07:19 PM UTC

Just a note to say thank you.  I look forward to seeing the fix in due course but, in the meantime, I just wanted to compliment you all on the effectiveness and speed of support.  Many thanks, Nick.

AN Anto Nihil Sahaya Raj Syncfusion Team June 15, 2022 04:16 AM UTC

Hi Nick,

We deeply regret for not including the fix for this issue in our latest weekly NuGet release (v20.1.0.60). So, we have planned to include this fix in our upcoming weekly NuGet release on 21st June 2022 without further delay.

Regards,
Anto Nihil S

NI Nick June 17, 2022 08:25 PM UTC

Thank you for the update.

AN Anto Nihil Sahaya Raj Syncfusion Team June 21, 2022 04:29 AM UTC

Hi Nick,

Thank you for your patience.

As promised earlier, we have included the fix for the reported issue with “
Table not resized properly while converting a Word document to PDF” in our latest weekly NuGet release (v20.1.0.61).

Please use the below link to download our latest weekly NuGet:
https://www.nuget.org/packages/Syncfusion.DocToPDFConverter.AspNet/20.1.0.61

The status of this bug task can be tracked through the below link:
https://www.syncfusion.com/feedback/35159/table-not-resized-properly-while-converting-a-word-document-to-pdf

Note: We will include this fix in our 2022 Volume 2 release which will be available in mid of June 2022 tentatively.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Regards,
Anto Nihil S

NI Nick June 24, 2022 08:24 PM UTC

Hi pleased to report that I have updated the Nuget package version and the table resizing is now working as expected.  Thank you for the fix and for the excellent progress updates on the journey.

Best wishes,

Nick

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon