We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date
close icon

Questions about setting up an asp.net website on a server

Let me start out by stating that I've never configured a server or anything, only developed for my local machine (and worked on applications that someone else had already configured to a server). I am creating a basic form type of application that will read/write to a SQL server database and generate reports for the user. How would I go about setting up a server (Windows Server 2008), with SQL Server on it and my web application. Please keep in mind that I've only done programming (former game programmer) so I don't really understand much when it comes to configuring servers and setting up the web.config to talk with the web and sql server. Thank you guys very much! https://scrabblewordfinder.vip/ https://www.applock.ooo/ https://www.7zip.vip/

2 Replies

NP Narayanasamy Panneer Selvam Syncfusion Team September 21, 2019 08:24 AM UTC

Hi Chunghee, 

Thanks for contacting us. 

From the details that you have provided, we suspect that you are expecting steps to create web form application, which is to have permission for read/write in SQL database. Please follow the below documentation links, 
References: 

If we misunderstood your requirement then please get back to us with below details, So that we can help you to achieve your requirement quickly. 
1. Are you using Syncfusion controls? If yes, the please share controls name and respective platform. 
2. Are you expecting form validation? 
3. Are you using Essential JS1 or Essential JS2? 

Regards, 
Narayanasamy P. 

MA Mia Andrew October 4, 2023 05:28 PM UTC

Hello,

It's great that you're taking the initiative to set up a server for your application! Given your background, here are some simplified steps to get you started:

1. Get a Windows Server 2008: You'll need access to a machine running Windows Server 2008. Ensure it's updated and properly configured for your network.

2. Install SQL Server: Download and install SQL Server on your server machine. During the installation process, make sure to specify the authentication mode (typically "Mixed Mode" for development) and configure a SQL Server instance.

3. Database Setup: Create a database in SQL Server where your application will store data. You can do this using SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS).

4. Web Server: Install a web server on your Windows Server machine. IIS (Internet Information Services) is commonly used for hosting web applications on Windows.

5. Deploy Your Web Application: Publish your web application from your development machine to the Windows Server. You can use tools like Visual Studio's Publish feature or manual deployment methods.

6. Web.config: In your web application, configure the connection string in the web.config file to point to your SQL Server database. You'll need to specify the server name, database name, and authentication credentials.

7. Testing: Test your web application on the server to ensure it can communicate with the SQL Server and perform database operations.

8. Security: Make sure to secure your server and database. This includes setting up firewalls, using strong passwords, and restricting unnecessary access.

9. Backup and Maintenance: Implement regular backups and maintenance tasks for your SQL Server database to ensure data integrity.

10. Documentation: Keep notes and documentation of your server and application configuration. This will be helpful for future reference and troubleshooting.

Remember that server administration can be complex, so don't hesitate to seek help or guidance from more experienced colleagues or online resources. Good luck with your project!

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon