We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date

Error signing an already signed PDF

Hi,

I'm successfully signing a PDF using the Syncfusion control.
But, when I try to add another valid signature, I got error 0x80070057 = the document may contain at most one author signature.

The first signature has the following propterties:

signature.TimeStampServer = New TimeStampServer(New Uri("http://rfc3161timestamp.globalsign.com/advanced"))
signature.EnableValidationAppearance = False
signature.EnableLtv = True
signature.Certificated = True
        signature.DocumentPermissions = PdfCertificationFlags.AllowFormFill

The document is loaded as follows:

Dim signature As PdfSignature = Nothing

Try
          Dim CampoDeAssinatura As PdfLoadedSignatureField = TryCast(loadedDocument.Form.Fields(0), PdfLoadedSignatureField)
          signature = New PdfSignature(loadedDocument, page, pdfCert, "SignatureField", CampoDeAssinatura)

Catch ex As Exception
          signature = New PdfSignature(loadedDocument, page, pdfCert, "SignatureField")

End Try

Everything runs OK until the "Save" command, which raises the above error.
The document being signed is the same of the first signature, I mean, I'm signing it normally and trying to resign with another certificate (and all certificates are 100%).

Do you know what is happening here?
I appreciate any help

4 Replies

DA DavidBS August 31, 2019 02:52 AM UTC

Hmmm...
I got the problem and I guess it can be a bug:

If the document is virgin (not signed before) I set "signature.Certified = true" and in opposite (the document is already signed) I set "signature.Certified = false" - and at this point the error raises.

I mean, we cannot set "Certified=false" in an already signed document - we need only to discard the property entirelly.

Ok, some people may consider that setting "Certified=false" is uneccessary anyway since it is the default, but I see as a little bug within the code.

I hope have helped anyone with the same behaviour.

SK Surya Kumar Syncfusion Team September 2, 2019 10:40 AM UTC

Hi David, 

Greetings from Syncfusion. 

Response 
Query 
But, when I try to add another valid signature, I got error 0x80070057 = the document may contain at most one author signature. 

The first signature has the following propterties: 

signature.TimeStampServer = New TimeStampServer(New Uri("http://rfc3161timestamp.globalsign.com/advanced")) 
            signature.EnableValidationAppearance = False 
            signature.EnableLtv = True 
            signature.Certificated = True 
        signature.DocumentPermissions = PdfCertificationFlags.AllowFormFill 

Everything runs OK until the "Save" command, which raises the above error. 
Could you please provide us the stack trace of the exception or error you got along with the PDF in which the error occurs so that we can analyze and provide you exact solution. 
If the document is virgin (not signed before) I set "signature.Certified = true" and in opposite (the document is already signed) I set "signature.Certified = false" - and at this point the error raises. 

I mean, we cannot set "Certified=false" in an already signed document - we need only to discard the property entirelly. 

We are analyzing this behavior we will let you know more about this on 04-Sep-19. 

Regards, 
Surya Kumar 

SL Sowmiya Loganathan Syncfusion Team September 4, 2019 01:10 PM UTC

Hi David, 

Please note that the property “Signature.Certified” can be set only when the signature is field is created and added to the PDF. Modifying the existing signature in PDF will invalidate the signature present in the PDF.  
So could you please provide us your exact requirement for changing the “Signature.Certified= false” in already signed PDF document, so that we can help you with better solution on the same. 

Regards, 
Sowmiya L 

DA DavidBS September 4, 2019 01:45 PM UTC

Thank YOU Sowmyia, yes, you're right but to avoid too much text, let's interact on that:

I appreciate your time, help and efforts.

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon