We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date
close icon
Starting in 2019, the Reporting control is no longer included in Essential Studio. If you're experiencing issues with the Syncfusion Reporting Platform, Report Viewer, Report Designer, or Report Writer, we recommend migrating to Bold Reports, our dedicated reporting platform.

Bold Reports offers a comprehensive suite of tools and features for all your reporting needs, and we will help you make a smooth transition from the discontinued control. Our support team at https://support.boldreports.com/ is here to assist you with any questions or difficulties you may encounter during the migration process.

We thank you for choosing Syncfusion and appreciate your understanding.

ASP.NET MVC 5 Report Designer expression field resets after any change!

Hello

I have created a .rdl file which joins two data sets. In this report, there is a Grid with a column named IdentityId that has a lookup expression:
=Lookup(Fields!IdentityId.Value,Fields!Id.Value, Fields!NickName.Value, "همه_هویت_ها")

But when I try to add another column to the Grid, Report Designer resets the expression value back into:
=Fields!IdentityId.Value

The sample .rdl file is attached. Notice that the lookup expression is fine and works as expected in preview mode but I can no longer change the report because grid resets that lookup expression to the default field expression. You can reproduce it with the designer in installation samples. When it is hosted on IIS Express, everything is fine, but in IIS 10 this bug reproduces.

I'm running this sample on Windows 10 x64, .NET 4.5.2 and Report Designer version 16.4.0.42

Thanks in advance.

4 Replies

JA Jalal July 1, 2019 01:38 PM UTC

I updated to the latest version and problem is gone, but another error is showing when I am trying to use report viewer:
Error message: The data input collection null or empty for the data set is used in the report.

What does it mean?

VS Vinoth Srinivasan Syncfusion Team July 2, 2019 09:23 AM UTC

Hi Jalal, 

Thanks for your interest in Syncfusion Components. 

It is possible for your to share your report file and controller file with us. It will be helpful for us to provide the solution at the earliest. 

Regards, 
Vinoth S. 

JA Jalal July 2, 2019 12:15 PM UTC

I managed to fix that issue too. 
But I have another question. Is there any way to initiate Report Viewer without setting any .rdl file? I want it to read the .rdl content from the database instead of reading it from a file.
Do you have any sample for ASP.NET MVC?
Thank you 

VS Vinoth Srinivasan Syncfusion Team July 3, 2019 05:47 AM UTC

Hi Jalal, 

If your requirement is to load the report from database, then you can make use of Stream option to achieve your requirement. Please find the below code snippet for your requirement. 

public void OnInitReportOptions(ReportViewerOptions reportOption) 
        { 
            byte[] reportByte = null ; // Retrive the report from data base. 
            System.IO.MemoryStream stream = new System.IO.MemoryStream(reportByte); 
            reportOption.ReportModel.Stream = stream; 
        } 

Regards, 
Vinoth S. 

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon