We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date

Using Microsoft Excel to open an XLSX file created using XlsIO results in a prompt to repair the file

I'm using the XlsIO library to export some data to a table in an XLSX file.  My code doesn't generate any errors while running, but I get a prompt to repair the file when I open it in Microsoft Excel.  I've zipped and attached the error log created by Excel after I allow it to repair the file.  I'm using version 17.1.0.38 of Syncfusion.

Attachment: error094120_01_59fbb707.zip

5 Replies

AV Abirami Varadharajan Syncfusion Team June 10, 2019 11:22 AM UTC

Hi David, 

Greetings from Syncfusion. 

We are unable to reproduce the issue with the shared information. We request you to share us the code snippet used at your end for generating document along with the corrupted output Excel document. This will be helpful for us to find out the root cause of the issue and provide the prompt solution at the earliest. 

Regards, 
Abirami 

DF David Frischknecht June 10, 2019 07:29 PM UTC

Unfortunately I was not able to reproduce the issue with sample data, either.  It has to be something to do with the data I'm loading from our database.  Since that data is confidential and I am under a bit of a time crunch, I decided to create the workbook using Excel interop which seems to be working fine.

AV Abirami Varadharajan Syncfusion Team June 11, 2019 01:54 PM UTC

Hi David, 

We require the corrupted document to find the exact root cause of the issue. So, please share the document to support@syncfusion.com with forum id as subject line.  

Note: As per Syncfusion norms, the provided documents are used only for testing purpose and we will maintain it confidentially. 

Regards, 
Abirami 

TM Takudzwa Mawarire March 6, 2020 06:44 AM UTC

string _record = Guid.NewGuid().ToString().Replace("-""");
                //You have to specify the full file path: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/10350467/system-io-writeallbytes-access-to-path-denied-error
                string _tempDirectory = Path.Combine(Utl.CreateDirectory(_record));
                //BatchInfoTempDirectory.SetFolderPermissions();
                using (ExcelEngine WorkbookEngine = new ExcelEngine())
                {

#region Initialize Excel Engine

IApplication _excelApplication = WorkbookEngine.Excel;

_excelApplication.DefaultVersion = ExcelVersion.Excel2016;

//Create a new workbook
                    IWorkbook _workbook = _excelApplication.Workbooks.Create();

#endregion

//Does directory exist
                    if (!Directory.Exists(_tempDirectory)) Utl.CreateDirectory(_record);

#region Foreach Table Loop

foreach (DataTable table in _dataset.Tables)
                    {
                        WriteLog($"::::Found {table.Rows.Count} in {table.TableName}");
                        //Create Worksheet
                        IWorksheet _worksheet = _workbook.Worksheets.Create(table.TableName);

//Adding a Picture
                        _worksheet.Pictures.AddPicture(12106$"{Path.Combine(_directory, "Assets", "bank_banner.png")}");

//Import data from the data table with column header, at first row and first column, and by its column type.
                        _worksheet.ImportDataTable(tabletrue111true);

//Creating Excel table or list object and apply style to the table
                        IListObject _excelTable = _worksheet.ListObjects.Create(table.TableName_worksheet.UsedRange);

//Apply Table Style
                        _excelTable.BuiltInTableStyle = TableBuiltInStyles.TableStyleMedium13;

//Auto fit the columns
                        _worksheet.UsedRange.AutofitColumns();

//Protecting the Worksheet by using a Password
                        _worksheet.Protect(_recordExcelSheetProtection.All);

}

#region Cleanup Workbook

if (_workbook.Worksheets.Count > 3)
                    {
                        _workbook.Worksheets.Remove("Sheet1");
                        _workbook.Worksheets.Remove("Sheet2");
                        _workbook.Worksheets.Remove("Sheet3");
                    }

//Encrypt the workbook with password
                    _workbook.PasswordToOpen = DateTime.Now.ToString("yyyy/MM/dd");

//Set the password to modify the workbook
                    _workbook.SetWriteProtectionPassword(_record);

//Set the workbook as read-only
                    _workbook.ReadOnlyRecommended = true;

#endregion

#region Save File

string excelFilePath = Path.Combine(_tempDirectory$"{_record}.xlsx");

using (Stream _stream = File.Create(excelFilePath))
                    {
                                  //got these 2 lines from https://www.syncfusion.com/forums/143545/saveas-corrupt-excel-file
                                  //File still corrupted with or without them
                        _stream.Position = 0;
                        _stream.SetLength(0);
                        _workbook.SaveAs(_stream);
                    }
                  }
                }

I am using the above code to create an excel file, but after successful generation, it pops an message saying it's corrupt when i open the file. Attached is the file generated. The password to open is 2020/03/06 and the file name is the content protection password. Any help will be greatly appreciated

Attachment: 23c7166211ab4ac2a0735fe43ff3ba4a_a37df914.zip

KK Konduru Keerthi Konduru Ravichandra Raju Syncfusion Team March 6, 2020 10:11 AM UTC

Hi Takudzwa, 

The Excel file gets corrupted when you are trying to set the table name with space. Microsoft Excel throws exception while trying to set the table name with space.  

We have resolved this corruption issue in our release version v17.2.0.46 and Syncfusion XlsIO now throws Argument exception when you are trying to set the table name with space. 

Hence we suggest you to use table name without space, to save the output Excel document without any corruption or exception. 

Regards, 
Keerthi. 

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon