We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date
close icon

How do I know which drawer item was clicked?

I am using the latest SF library on a Windows Forms application. I dropped the NavigationDrawer on the MetroForm and configure it so that it has a single Header Item and underneath several Items.

When I run the form I can click on the items BUT I do not know how to catch that in an event. The Help system does not give any clues as to how to do it. The designer window shows many events for this control but none of them is about a Drawer Item Selected. Out of curiosity I used the Click event but there you get only the empty EventArgs that does not provide any information.

BTW I also tried to add a Header Image to the Header Item to try to imitate what is shown on the Help pages but when I click on the "..." to select an image the designer gives a Null Reference Exception (I logged that as a bug using the Feedback System)

8 Replies

SP Subburaj Pandian Veluchamy Syncfusion Team May 27, 2019 01:48 PM UTC

Hi Emilio, 

Thank you for contacting Syncfusion support. 

We analyzed your reported queries and we can able to replicate the issues “Provide event to notify the item selection in navigationdrawer” and “Designer null reference exception”from our end. We have logged issue report for the same. We will fix the issue and update you the issue fix patch by June 10, 2019. We appreciate your patience until then. 

You can also track the status of the report by the following feedback links, 

Regarding provide event to notify the item selection in Navigation drawer: You can use the following sample as a workaround, 

Regards,
Subburaj Pandian V       

EG Emilio Grimaldo May 27, 2019 04:58 PM UTC

Thanks, I am using that workaround now but I hope the issue is resolved with designer support. 

SP Subburaj Pandian Veluchamy Syncfusion Team May 28, 2019 09:50 AM UTC

Hi Emilio, 

Thank you for the update.

As mentioned, we will fix and provide you the patch by June 10, 2019. We appreciate your patience until then.  

Regards,
Subburaj Pandian V 

SP Subburaj Pandian Veluchamy Syncfusion Team June 10, 2019 01:28 PM UTC

Hi Emilio, 

Thank you for your patitnece. 

Regarding “Null expection throws when click the Navigation drawer header image”: After further analyzing this issue in our source, issue occurs with Microsoft framework. So, we have raised the query in MSDN. You can check the same by the following link, 

We are having following the reported bug, once we got the solution from the Microsoft team, we will update you the further details. We appreciate your patience until then.

Regarding event to notify the item selection in NavigtaionDrawer: We are still working on the reported issue “Header image property of NavigationDrawer throws null reference exception at design time” with high priority. We will fix and provide patch you issue fix patch by June 18, 2019. We appreciate your patience until then. 

Regards,
Subburaj Pandian V 

JP Jagadeesan Pichaimuthu Syncfusion Team June 18, 2019 01:50 PM UTC

Hi Emilio, 

Sorry for the inconvenience caused. 

We have implemented your requirement “Provide event to notify the item selection in NavigationDrawer. But we have some problem on our Patch server. So we will fix this and provide patch in one business day (June 19, 2019). 

We appreciate your patience until then. 
Regards, 
Jagadeesan 

SP Subburaj Pandian Veluchamy Syncfusion Team June 19, 2019 10:33 AM UTC

Hi Emilio, 

Thank you for your patience. 

We have provided event to notify the item selection in NavigationDrawer and you can download the patch from following location. Please refer the following code for the same, 

[C#] 
this.navigationDrawer1.ItemClicked += NavigationDrawer1_ItemClicked; 

private void NavigationDrawer1_ItemClicked(object sender, DrawerMenuItemClickEventArg e) 
        { 
           //For your customization 
        } 

Recommended approach – exe will perform automatic configuration       
Please find the patch setup here:                            

Advanced approach – use only if you have specific needs and can directly replace existing assemblies for your build environment                        
Please find the patch assemblies alone from: 

Please find the NuGet from the below location:      

Assembly Version: 17.1.0.47  
Installation Directions:  
This patch should replace the files “Syncfusion.Tools.Windows” under the following folder.  
$system drive:\ Files\Syncfusion\Essential Studio\$Version # \precompiledassemblies\$Version#\4.0  
Eg : $system drive:\Program Files\Syncfusion\Essential Studio\17.1.0.47 \precompiledassemblies\17.1.0.47 \4.0  

To automatically run the Assembly Manager, please check the Run assembly manager checkbox option while installing the patch. If this option is unchecked, the patch will replace the assemblies in precompiled assemblies’ folder only. Then, you will have to manually copy and paste them to the preferred location or you will have to run the Syncfusion Assembly Manager application (available from the Syncfusion Dashboard, installed as a shortcut in the Application menu) to re-install assemblies.  

Note: To change how you receive bug fixes, ask your license management portal admin to change your project’s patch delivery mode.  

Disclaimer: If you have received other patches for the same version for other products, please apply all patches in the order received. Please note that we have created this patch for version 17.1.0.47 specifically to resolve the following query reported in the forum 144853. These changes will be included in our main release 2019 Volume 2 which is expected on end of June 2019.  

Regards,
Subburaj Pandian V  

RS Rein Shope August 29, 2019 02:08 PM UTC

These changes will be included in our main release 2019 Volume 2 which is expected on end of June 2019.  

I'm using Volume 2, and my DrawerMenuItem classes have no ItemClicked method as stated here.

Am I doing something wrong, or did this not make it into the Volume 2 release?

Thanks!

JP Jagadeesan Pichaimuthu Syncfusion Team August 30, 2019 05:45 AM UTC

Hi Emilio, 

Thanks for your update. 

We have included the fix in our Volume 2 release and we checked with sample. But it working fine in our end, we prepared the sample and video for your reference. 

Can you please check the assemblies are properly refer in your application. Please let us know if you need any further details on this. 

Regards, 
Jagadeesan 

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon