We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date

Opening Created file with MS Word on Device

Hi,

I am able to create and make changes to a word file creating DocIO. In Android I can just run the file and it opens with Word if it is installed on the device.
With iOS i am only able to launch in view mode using the previewController (This does not always look the same as the document). Is there any way to launch the created file (saved on the device) with word in iOS?

Regards

5 Replies

AV Abirami Varadharajan Syncfusion Team April 24, 2019 07:39 AM UTC

Hi JP, 

Greetings from Syncfusion. 

Please refer to below article for creating and launching the word file in Xamarin.ios application. 

Kindly try with the code shared in the article to launch the file and let us know if this works fine at your end. 

Regards, 
Abirami 

JV JP Veldtman April 24, 2019 10:41 AM UTC

Thanks for your response,

I have tested with your application and your sample app does exactly the same as what i am having issues with.
Even from your link and code it is using the QLPreviewController which means that it opens in a Preview mode, I would like to open it in MSWord itself without having to select "Share", "Copy to Word" and "Save a copy" to be able to edit the document. (see screenshots attached)

Thanks in advance

Attachment: drivedownload20190424T103219Z001_14d3b89f.zip

AV Abirami Varadharajan Syncfusion Team April 26, 2019 02:02 PM UTC

Hi JP, 

On further checking the reported problem, we suspect that you launched the application in your device and opened the saved Word document using Microsoft Word application. Due to Word document already used in another application, Microsoft Word suggest you to save as copy to do changes.

To resolve the reported problem, we suggest you to save the Word document using our sample and close the sample application before open in Microsoft Word application. We have modified the sample to save the Word document in the device and it doesn’t launch the saved Word document. Please find the sample from below link and let us know if it helps you:
http://www.syncfusion.com/downloads/support/forum/144168/ze/Create_Word_Sample-815373940  

Regards, 
 Abirami

JV JP Veldtman April 29, 2019 11:15 AM UTC

Thanks, 
This is not helping at all, 

I would like the word document that was created and saved on the device, to be opened in Microsoft Word application programmatically.

From your initial sample app, it launched the new created file in view mode only (Quicklook). I want this file to be launched in MSWord application automatically the same way as Android

In short:
User can Generate a document (Which gets generated using DocIO), but then it needs to launch the generated document in msword so the end user can add content using the msword application (make changes not using DocIO).

MJ Mohanaselvam Jothi Syncfusion Team May 6, 2019 12:33 PM UTC

Hi JP,

Thank you for your update.

To meet your requirement, we have prepared a sample application to open the generated Word document using installed apps (Microsoft Word) in your Xamarin.iOS device and it can be download from the below link:
http://www.syncfusion.com/downloads/support/directtrac/general/ze/CreateWord748316842

Please refer the below documentation to know more about how to open the generated Word document using installed apps in Xamarin.iOS:
https://www.syncfusion.com/kb/10392/how-to-open-generated-word-using-installed-apps-in-xamarin-ios

Regards,
Mohanaselvam J

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon