We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date

Is there a way to modify the bullet indent?

Hi,

when I add a List to the document, the space between the bullet and the text is too big in my opinion.

I haven't seen any possible solution to this in the docs. There's just a Increase/DecreaseIndentLevel() method.

Is there a setting that allows to decrease the space between bullet/number and text?

5 Replies

VR Vijay Ramachandran Syncfusion Team January 16, 2019 02:29 PM UTC

Hi Paul,

Thank you for contacting Syncfusion support.

Yes, it is possible to decrease or increase the space between bullet and text. We have prepared example project to achieve this, please find the project from below and let us know if it helps.
http://www.syncfusion.com/downloads/support/forum/142002/ze/LIST_S~1437160659

In this sample, we have set the indent values as 0 and added the tab with required size. You can either increase or decrease this tab size to increase or decrease the distance between bullet and text.

If we misunderstood any of your requirement, then kindly elaborate your actual requirement with detailed description. Thereby we will analyze further and provide you a prompt solution.

Regards,
Vijay R

PK Paul Kocher January 21, 2019 02:57 PM UTC

Hello Vijay,

thank you! This was excactly what I was looking for :)

Edit:

Sorry I do need your help again. When the text exceeds one line in a list, the new line will start right below the bullet and not at the beginning of the text.

In Word I can change the hanging indent - the ParagraphFormat does have the FirstLineIndent (explanation said this is the 'hanging indent') but that doesn't seem to work as expected...

Ok I just realized negative numbers modify the hanging indend and positive numbers the first line indent. 

I would need to use a negative AND positive number and this isn't possible or is it? 🤔

KC Karthikeyan Chandrasekar Syncfusion Team January 23, 2019 09:06 AM UTC

Hi Paul, 
To start the next line below the bullets, we suggest you to set FirstLineIndent as 0 and you can also adjust this value to preserve the content as per your requirement. The positive value is set to first line indent and negative value is set to hanging indent.

Regarding I would need to use a negative AND positive number:
You can set either hanging indent or first line indent to the paragraph. If you need to set both negative and positive means, could you please share us the more details about this requirement along with expected output document. Thereby, we will check the on it and will provide you the prompt solution at the earliest. 
Regards, 
Karthikeyan  

DD Dylan Davenport replied to Vijay Ramachandran September 15, 2021 08:39 PM UTC

Could you please elaborate on how to decrease the space between the bullet and the text? After reviewing the sample provided I could not reduce the spacing. What method/property is being used to reduce the spacing??

LB Lokesh Baskar Syncfusion Team September 16, 2021 11:03 AM UTC

Hi Dylan, 

Thank you for your update.

To achieve your requirement, you may also set FollowCharacter for the particular list level. We have prepared the sample application for your requirement. Please find the sample from the below link.
https://www.syncfusion.com/downloads/support/forum/142002/ze/ConsoleCoreSample1680111720.zip

If we misunderstood your requirement means, could you please share us the input Word document (dummy data) and the expected output document/screenshot. Thereby, we will check on your requirement and will provide you the appropriate solution at the earliest. 

Please let us know if you have any other questions 

Regards, 
Lokesh B 

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon