We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date

Hitting an internal Link does lead to an error and the link is never executed

Hello,

I tested a few different kinds of hyperlinks in pdf documents today and internal links don't work in my application. Only two different errors occur on every click in my console:

Exception thrown: '<unknown>' in System.Collections.dll
Exception thrown: 'System.Collections.Generic.KeyNotFoundException' in System.Collections.dll

External hyperlinks work. I tried links to pages and links to anchors. Sorry I don't know the exact expression for the anchor in acrobat. Both with the same result.

I already tried to set AllowHyperlinkNavigation="True" which should be true by default anyway, but also without success.

If this is a bug in the current version, I will file a bug, but maybe it's something else.

I attached 2 PDF I used to test the links. Maybe there is something wrong, but everything works in other pdf viewers and both pdf are from different sources.

Thanks for any help.

Cheers,
Thomas.

Attachment: PDFLinkTest_6f7b62de.zip

14 Replies

TS Thomas Stark January 12, 2019 01:25 AM UTC

Ok, I did al lot of testing. Now the links work in a very simple pdf I created (attached) with only 7 pages ans links to all other pages of the document on each page. BUT, the links linking back to the first page don't work at all. I did some debug outputs in PdfViewer_HyperlinkPointerPressed and actually the click works and the correct destination page is also set, but the viewer doesn't go to the first page.
Of course I could do a hack for now, where I manually do a GotoPage(e.DestinationPageIndex) if DestinationPageIndex == 0, but that can't be a good solution.

And also this also only really works in my simple example. The PDFs I was talking about and provided in my first post still don't work. I don't know why, but now they sometimes jump to an other page, when hitting a link, but normally not to the page that was specified in the link, the destination page provided is also wrong. Sometimes they don't work at all, without HyperlinkPointerPressed being called.

And just to say it again. This PDF work without any problems in every other viewer, even other third party viewers c# on other platforms.

If anyone has an idea, I would be very grateful. Otherwise I will contact the support directly soon. Just thought I would give it another shot here.

Thanks,
Thomas.

Attachment: TestLinksnurWord.pdf_fb17ee3c.zip

SS Sathish Sivakumar Syncfusion Team January 16, 2019 08:59 AM UTC

Hi Thomas, 

Greetings from Syncfusion. 

We confirm that the issue “Document link annotation present in the PDF document does not navigate to the appropriate destination” and logged a defect report for this issue. The fix will be included in 2018 Vol 4 SP 1 and it expected to be available at the end of January 2019. 

You can now track the current status of your request, review the proposed resolution timeline, and contact us for any further inquiries through this link. 

Please let us know if you need any other assistance. 

Regards, 
Sathish 

TS Thomas Stark January 20, 2019 09:17 PM UTC

Hello Sathish,

this are great news!

Thanks,
Thomas.

LN Lakshmi Narayanan Asokan Syncfusion Team January 21, 2019 11:50 AM UTC

Hi Thomas, 

Thank you for your update. 

As we promised earlier the fix will be included in 2018 Volume 4 SP1 release and it expected to be available at the end of January 2019. 

Best, 
Lakshmi Narayanan Asokan 

TS Thomas Stark April 2, 2019 05:01 PM UTC

Hello,

thanks for fixing this bug. I can confirm, that the Links now work on most regular PDF files, but unfortunately not on big files. I assume its the size of the pdf, why its not working, because I have a few big files with about 200MB and in none of them the Links work. Every Link jumps to the first page of the document.
The Links work expected in other pdf viewers and of course in  Acrobat.

I have uploaded one of these PDF into a dropbox, because I can't upload such a big file here.
This ist the download link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/l7jrtwu1k7go4sg/8_file_2349.pdf?dl=0

I hope you are able to reproduce this issue with the above pdf file and may find a solution.

Thanks again,
Thomas.

SS Sathish Sivakumar Syncfusion Team April 3, 2019 07:27 AM UTC

Hi Thomas, 

Greetings from Syncfusion. 

We are able to reproduce the issue “Document link annotation present in the PDF document provided in your last update does not navigate to the appropriate destination using SfPdfViewerControl” in our side and we suspect this to be a defect. We have forwarded this issue to our development team for further analysis and we will update further details on 05-April 2019. 

Regards, 
Sathish 

SS Sathish Sivakumar Syncfusion Team April 5, 2019 11:07 AM UTC

Hi Thomas, 

We have confirmed that the issue “Document link annotation present in the PDF document provided in your last update does not navigate to the appropriate destination using SfPdfViewerControl” is a defect. The fix for this issue will be included in weekly NuGet release and it is expected to be available on 16th April 2019. 

Regards,
Sathish

TS Thomas Stark May 14, 2019 07:06 PM UTC

Hello,

thanks again for the update.
But unfortunately there is still an error in the SfPdfViewerControl with big pdf files, like the one I habe uploaded to my dropbox and ist still present there, if you need it for testing purposes.
Now the links jump to a page, but not the correct one. For example: If I hit the Link for page 11 it jumps to page 14, when I hit the one for page 16 it jumps to page 22. That's the case with all links I tested.
Also there is a link on the bottom of almost every page "Zum Inhaltsverzeichnis" which doesn't work at all. It should jump to the first page of table of contents.
Of course I also tested the same pdf in acrobat and other PDFViewers I use in other apps and every link works fine there.
I hope this also is a bug you are able fix soon.

Btw. in smaller pdfs I am using, the linking works fine now.

Thanks for all the effort, I greatly appreciate it!
Thomas.

SS Sathish Sivakumar Syncfusion Team May 15, 2019 01:00 PM UTC

Hi Thomas, 

Thank you for your update. 

We are currently facing the issue “Application crashes with out of memory exception while loading large PDF files” when loading the PDF document in SfPdfViewerControl in UWP platform. So we will check issue reported in the last update once the above mentioned issue is resolved. We will analyze this issue and update further details on 17th May 2019.  

Regards, 
Sathish 

GR Gayathri Ramalingam Syncfusion Team May 17, 2019 04:16 PM UTC

Hi Thomas 

On further analysis, we found that the "Application crashes with out of memory exception while loading large PDF filesissue occurs only in x86 architecture. Since x86 architecture is more memory consumable, we will encounter out of memory exception while deserializing the PDF content objects (like images) using PDF library in SfPdfViewer. So, we suggest you to use x64 architecture to avoid this issue. Meanwhile we are able to reproduce the issue “Document link annotation does not navigate to the appropriate destination which present in the PDF document using SfPdfViewerControl” in our side and we suspect this to be a defect. We have forwarded this issue to our development team for further analysis and we will update further details on 21st May 2019. 

With Regards, 
Gayathri R 

GR Gayathri Ramalingam Syncfusion Team May 21, 2019 11:10 AM UTC

Hi Thomas, 

We have confirmed that the issue “Document link annotation does not navigate to the appropriate destination which present in the PDF document using SfPdfViewerControl” is defect and logged defect report for this issue. The patch for this issue will be delivered on 04-June-2019.  

With Regards, 
Gayathri R 

SS Sathish Sivakumar Syncfusion Team June 4, 2019 04:28 PM UTC

Hi Thomas,

Sorry for the inconvenience caused,

We haven’t resolved the issue “Document link annotation does not navigate to the appropriate destination which present in the PDF document” due to its complexity. Currently we are working on this issue with high priority, we will update the patch on 11th June 2019 without any further delay.

Regards,
Sathish

GR Gayathri Ramalingam Syncfusion Team June 11, 2019 05:19 PM UTC

Hi Thomas 

Sorry for the inconvenience caused,    

We haven’t resolved the issue with “Document link annotation does not navigate to the appropriate destination which present in the PDF document” due to its complexity. Currently we are working in this with high priority, we will update the patch on 18th June 2019 without any further delay.    

With Regards,   
Gayathri R 

SS Sathish Sivakumar Syncfusion Team June 18, 2019 12:03 PM UTC

Hi Thomas,   

Thank you for your patience.    

We have resolved the issues “Document link annotation does not navigate to the appropriate destination which present in the PDF document” in SfPdfViewer in UWP platform and the patch for the issue can be downloaded from the following link  

Recommended approach - exe will perform automatic configuration     
Please find the patch setup from below location:     

Advanced approach – use only if you have specific needs and can directly replace existing assemblies for your build environment     
Please find the patch assemblies alone from below location:     

NuGet :      

Assembly Version: 17.1.0.47 

Installation Directions :      

This patch should replace the files “Syncfusion.SfPdfViewer.UWP.dll” under the following folder.     
$system drive:\ Files\Syncfusion\Essential Studio\$Version # \precompiledassemblies\$Version#\4.6     
Eg : $system drive:\Program Files\Syncfusion\Essential Studio\17.1.0.47\precompiledassemblies\17.1.0.47\4.0     

To automatically run the Assembly Manager, please check the Run assembly manager checkbox option while installing the patch. If this option is unchecked, the patch will replace the assemblies in precompiled assemblies’ folder only. Then, you will have to manually copy and paste them to the preferred location or you will have to run the Syncfusion Assembly Manager application (available from the Syncfusion Dashboard, installed as a shortcut in the Application menu) to re-install assemblies.     

Note :      
To change how you receive bug fixes, ask your license management portal admin to change your project’s patch delivery mode.     

Disclaimer :      

Please note that we have created this patch for version 17.1.0.47 specifically to resolve the following issue(s) reported in this/the forum(s). 141928 

If you have received other patches for the same version for other products, please apply all patches in the order received.     

This fix will be included in our Essential Studio 2019 Volume 2 main release which will be available by the end of June 2019. 

Regards,
Sathish

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon