We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date

Why does Syncfusion add config to web.config and pacakges.config

After updating my nugets recently, I noticed the build breaks and found compression.base and chartbase inside both web.config and packages.config.

It also let the old package versions there, and simply inserted a new configuration/
  1. Please clarify do we need to have them in both places?
  2. How to seperate which configruation/version one goes where?
  3. How to ensure old versions old <add assembly> is removed when nuget adds/updates new Syncfusion
  4. what is the new licensing assembly and what needs to be configured? there are two keys now which is confusion 
thanks

6 Replies

KA Kannan Syncfusion Team November 13, 2018 10:38 AM UTC

Hi Megatron, 

Sorry for the inconvenience,  

Please find the response for your queries. 

Query 
Please clarify do we need to have them in both places? 

Response 
Syncfusion renamed the NuGet packages from Framework based to combined all the Framework and name has changed. Please refer the below knowledge base.  

Also, we used the corresponding platform name in package name instead of providing base.  

We don’t have the Syncfusion.Compression.Base and Syncfusion.OfficeChart.Base packages with the version of 16.3460.0.29. So, please remove these packages from packages.config file.  
No need to change in web.config file, we using the same assembly and version in all the NuGet packages.  

Query 
How to seperate which configruation/version one goes where? 

Response 
Please use the 16.3.0.29 version and uninstall the older version packages which does not have the update in Package Manager. Use the corresponding version packages in mentioned above knowledge base.  

Query 
How to ensure old versions old <add assembly> is removed when nuget adds/updates new Syncfusion 

Response 
Please refer the below Syncfusion troubleshooter utility documentation to resolve if any configuration issue.  

The Syncfusion Troubleshooter utility shipping in build. For your convenience, we have provided to download and install. Please download the Syncfusion Troubleshooter and extract id. Install the VSIX file by double click the .  

Query 
what is the new licensing assembly and what needs to be configured? there are two keys now which is confusion 

Response 
Please refer the below documentation to get the new licensing and license key registration in application. Please use the ASP.NET MVC license key for your ASP.NET MVC application.  

Please let us know if this helps you. 

Regards, 
Kannan 

KA Kannan Syncfusion Team November 13, 2018 11:15 AM UTC

Hi Megatron, 

Please find the Syncfusion Troubleshooter download link. 

Regards, 
Kannan 

ME Megatron November 13, 2018 07:36 PM UTC

Hello Kannan, when I check in the KB help page there was no version number like that. But, as you can see - both the nuget update gave me these dll's and it shows the version number I used for the dll metadata. Changing it to the lower number breaks one way or the other, changing it to the higher number also breaks.

Also, I checked / verified  from Project-> Add references versions number for compression base is showing 16.3450.0.29

Next you did not answer my question on - do we need these configurations in both files, web.config and the other location.

Lastly, when I install the newer version of the SF, will they auto registers with the Visual Studio and GAC or this now a manual process. Previously the same SF dashboard tool managed everything, but now I see every component Core, JS etc has its own desktop icon after install. How can I get the dashboard back.

thanks

KA Kannan Syncfusion Team November 14, 2018 10:16 AM UTC

Hi Negatron, 

Syncfusion changed the NuGet publish version from 2018 Volume 2 like 16.2.0.21. Previously NuGet package versioned as 16.1450.0.32. The 450 indicates the .NET Framework 4.5 and published separate NuGet packages with each .NET Framework version. Now all the .NET Framework combined in single NuGet package and removed the .NET Framework version from NuGet package version. But, there is no changes in assembly version. Each assembly version have the corresponding .NET Framework version in the minor version. Please refer the assembly versioning for each Framework below. 

.NET Framework version 
Syncfusion Assembly Version 

Note: .NET Framework 4.6 or higher, the 16.3460.0.29 assembly version used in application.  

Based on the application .NET Framework, the corresponding Syncfusion assembly version added into project reference.  

For MVC application, we using the below format. 

.NET Framework version 
Syncfusion.EJ.MVC version (MVC 5) 
Other Syncfusion assembly version 

Regarding the query “do we need these configurations in both files, web.config and the other location”,  

No need to use both file when using the NuGet packages. Please find the details below for both files. 

Packages.config 

The packages.config keeping the installed NuGet packages list and it helps to restore, update or reinstall the packages in application. The file contains the NuGet packages version and installed .NET Framework version.  

Web.config 

If we referring the Syncfusion assemblies from GAC then we need to register the assemblies in web.config. Because, the assembly will not copy in bin folder as default. If we using the NuGet packages, the reference assembly will be copied into bin folder when compiling, so the web.config entries does not required. Also, the entry does not cause the problem. We have logged this to remove the web.config entry and it will be implement in our upcoming release.  

Regarding the installation,  

The Syncfusion will configure the Syncfusion assemblies in GAC and Syncfusion Extension in Visual Studio during installation. The following screenshot listed the options to configure the Syncfusion components. If any of the feature deselected then need to configure manually.  

Follow the below documentation to configure manually. 

Note: Syncfusion ASP.NET MVC (Essential JS2) does not have the Assembly Manager. It available for following platforms. 

1. WPF
  2. Windows Forms
  3. ASP.NET
  4. ASP.NET MVC

Please let us know if this helps you. 

Regards, 
Kannan 

ME Megatron November 15, 2018 06:49 PM UTC

Thanks, that was what I asking about. So I just need to use packages since its nuget, no need for web.config. (Does IIS, Kesterel or IIS express need this)?
Do I need to put a license file anywhere to make it work.?
So I dont need bower or npm for client libs, everything is from nuget - correct?

It would be very helpful if the SF tool checker would show whats the latest SF version is installed in the project, so we dont leave out any old assemblies.
If there assemblies unused it would be nice to know, similar to remove unnessary usings visual studio feature

KA Kannan Syncfusion Team November 16, 2018 12:52 PM UTC

Hi Megatron, 

Thanks for the update.  

Please find the response for your queries.  

Query 
I just need to use packages since its nuget, no need for web.config. (Does IIS, Kesterel or IIS express need this)? 

Response 
No, if you using the Syncfusion assemblies in GAC only required the web.config changes.  

Query 
Do I need to put a license file anywhere to make it work.? 

Response 
Yes, please refer the below link to get the license and register the license key in application. 

Query 
So I dont need bower or npm for client libs, everything is from nuget - correct? 

Response 
Yes, the NuGet package alone will be sufficient.  

Query 
It would be very helpful if the SF tool checker would show whats the latest SF version is installed in the project, so we dont leave out any old assemblies. 

Response 
The following documentation may help you to maintain the single version or migrate the Syncfusion version. 

Query 
If there assemblies unused it would be nice to know, similar to remove unnessary usings visual studio feature 

Response 
We logged this as feature and we will implement in any our upcoming release.  

Regarding the https warning which you shared in the image, we logged this as issue and will be resolved. 

Regards, 
Kannan 

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon