We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date
close icon

Syncfusion v2.0 Performance

Hi there, I was wondering whether Syncfusion is still intending to address the overall performance of their products. I have been on this forum a number of months ago and was lead to believe that the v2.0 suite was going to address a number of performance related issues, however, after my colleagues tested the performance of v2.0 they found there was no difference at all. We just shipped a product last week, that originally used Syncfusion components, however, when the product shipped we had pulled Syncfusion from the equation. We have a much more substantial product to be released in the coming months and after analyzing performance (significant amount of our woes are at application startup / object instantiation with the blood-trail leading to Syncfusion''s door step) we really don''t have a choice other than to drop Syncfusion. Last time we were in this position (the product that has now shipped without Syncfusion) I made a plea on this forum and issued a challenge to Syncfusion which seemingly fell on deaf ears. When it comes to the overall functionality and appearance of Syncfusion no one that we have seen can really compete, but at the end of the day performance is 100x more important than looks. If Syncfusion can stand up now and address these issues, we might be able to get somewhere.... Please listen Syncfusion; this is the 11th hour.... Regards, David.

12 Replies

DB David B May 8, 2004 11:06 PM UTC

Good to see that a week later that not even a response has been given to this. A post like this on your forum is bad marketing for sure, but not replying has got to be 100x worse! You are saying right here and now that any customer that has issues with your product after the sale can go and jump. You are only interested in making the initial sale. If this is your company''s approach with customers then god help you, because no one else will! For those who have not bought Syncfusion yet, beware! If you don''t care about the performance of your application, or that it takes forever to start up, and that your software will make drying paint look fast, then use Syncfusion by all means....

SG Sean Greer May 10, 2004 01:07 PM UTC

Sorry David, but I feel that I have to counter some of your statements. I''m not associated with Syncfusion in any way other than being a very satisfied customer. I use the Tools (menus, popups, docking, etc), Grid, Edit and will be looking at incorporating the Excel writing and Charting soon. Syncfusion''s products are extremely flexible, well designed, and fast (grids esp). Sometimes it seems that things make it into general release too quickly (the tree preview comes to mind), but I''ve been guilty of that as well. As far as performance goes, it has been excellent. Customer support is also excellent; incidents posted to Direct-Trac are addressed the same day in most cases. In conclusion, Syncfusion is doing an exemplary job of providing a flexible, fast, good-looking suite of controls that are well supported. Best of luck finding a better solution... Sean

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team May 10, 2004 01:30 PM UTC

David, First of all we apologize for the poor turn-around time for this post. Since the General Forums is internally viewed as a means for our customers to make general comments rather than a place to report product specific issues, some of us slack off with respect to monitoring this forum. But, your strong words has reached our upper-management and some of us have been given a dressing down. So, I assure you such poor response times will not be encountered again. Regarding the issue, yes we were actually not able to fulfil promised speed in 2.0. But, we are in close touch with Microsoft, which has agreed to determine if this is a CLR issue and is currently reviewing our source with possibility of a good fix/workaround to this problem. I actually spoke with Darrow Kirkpatrick from Haestad (you are from Haestad, right?) last week promising him that we will have a final say on the issue within 10 days or so. And our QA dept. is in full swing trying different workarounds for this solution. So, we will have an update in our Tools Blogs within a week or so with more information on this issue. Regards, Praveen Ramesh Syncfusion Development Team

DB David B May 18, 2004 01:39 AM UTC

Hi Sean, Thanks for your opinions. All are welcome although you sure Syncfusion aren''t paying you? :P To be fair I have been very satisfied with Syncfusion in many ways. In fact part of the reason that we are so frustrated right now is that we really don''t want to give Syncfusion up! We have invested a lot of time with Syncfusion because we do like the products. They are certainly feature rich, sexy and versatile. On performance, however, there are some definite performance worries, mainly centered around application startup. We know the virtual grid is slick. Getting back to startup though, I challenge you to create a basic form in .Net, add some menus and build the app, then test the startup time on a *cold* application restart. By cold I mean restart you computer then start the app. Do the same thing with an identical app with Syncfusion on it, then the same thing again with a Syncfusion competitor. Then you''ll see what I''m on about. 4-5 seconds extra startup time is not acceptable, but it is what all of our developers and internal testers are seeing. When it comes to a warm start then there''s nothing in it due to the paging performed by the OS. We write applications that are likely to be started up once or twice a day, and that use case dictates that cold start is an issue for us. It might not be for your applications and that''s fine. I also note the reply from Syncfusion staff to this thread. Let''s hope we can have a resolution soon. Regards, David. > >Sorry David, but I feel that I have to counter some of your statements. I''m not associated with Syncfusion in any way other than being a very satisfied customer. I use the Tools (menus, popups, docking, etc), Grid, Edit and will be looking at incorporating the Excel writing and Charting soon. Syncfusion''s products are extremely flexible, well designed, and fast (grids esp). Sometimes it seems that things make it into general release too quickly (the tree preview comes to mind), but I''ve been guilty of that as well. As far as performance goes, it has been excellent. Customer support is also excellent; incidents posted to Direct-Trac are addressed the same day in most cases. In conclusion, Syncfusion is doing an exemplary job of providing a flexible, fast, good-looking suite of controls that are well supported. > >Best of luck finding a better solution... > >Sean

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team May 18, 2004 04:10 PM UTC

David, We sent out a private version of our dlls with improved performance (twice as fast as the old ones) to Darrow Kirkpatrick. I am not sure if you guys are in the same team or different. The solution in general is to split up the dlls so that the load-time is much faster. If you could post your email, I will send that sample to you as well. Regards, Praveen Ramesh Syncfusion Development

SH Sue Harris May 19, 2004 12:27 AM UTC

Praveen, I''ve been getting complaints from some of my testers about the slowness of the menus as well, so I''d really appreciate getting the updated dll''s also. Thanks, Sue

PL Paul Laudeman May 19, 2004 08:48 AM UTC

Praveen, Performance increased by 2x? How soon can we expect a public build with these optimizations included? Thanks, -Paul

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team May 19, 2004 03:44 PM UTC

Guys, The final release of our performance update is still a month away. But, we would like beta testers. I will open a new blog in the "Tools Forums" area when we are ready to give out our dlls for beta testing. Regards, Praveen

DB David B May 23, 2004 06:54 AM UTC

Hi Praveen, My e-mail is davbat88@hotmail.com. Please e-mail the samples at your convenience. If the attachments you wish to send are larger than 2Mb then let me know and I''ll e-mail you privately with an alternative address. By the way is there any reason why all of the previous postings have been mangled so that they make virtually no sense? They used to read just fine..... Regards, David. >Guys, > >The final release of our performance update is still a month away. But, we would like beta testers. I will open a new blog in the "Tools Forums" area when we are ready to give out our dlls for beta testing. > >Regards, >Praveen >

DB David B May 23, 2004 07:05 AM UTC

Re - mangling - perhaps my browser loaded the page wrong last time. Seems to work now. Thanks for the effort you guys are putting into performance. Your stuff really is great; if we could just nail this one issue you will be the "go to" people for .Net components. I''ll be happy to report my findings on this performance update... >Hi Praveen, > >My e-mail is davbat88@hotmail.com. Please e-mail the samples at your convenience. If the attachments you wish to send are larger than 2Mb then let me know and I''ll e-mail you privately with an alternative address. > >By the way is there any reason why all of the previous postings have been mangled so that they make virtually no sense? They used to read just fine..... > >Regards, >David. > > >>Guys, >> >>The final release of our performance update is still a month away. But, we would like beta testers. I will open a new blog in the "Tools Forums" area when we are ready to give out our dlls for beta testing. >> >>Regards, >>Praveen >>

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team May 24, 2004 12:28 PM UTC

David, Thanks for the feedback. I will send you a beta version I have shortly. Regards, Praveen Ramesh

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team June 11, 2004 11:24 AM UTC

Hi guys, You all should have received an email from us regarding the new release that addresses the performance issues in Tools. Your feedback is much appreciated. I also opened a blog in the Tools section regarding this. Regards, Praveen, Syncfusion

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon