We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date

Accessing Data from GridGroupingControl

I''m a bit unclear on how to navigate records in the GridGroupingControl. Is the preferred (e.g, fastest and easiest) way to access things through GridGroupingControl.Engine, through GridGroupingControl.Table.DisplayElements, or something else entirely? To make this concrete, say I were writing an email reader and I had an ADO.Net table Email: id int subject string date datetime read bool at any time, the user would probably have one message selected and they wanted to go on to the next unread message. Once could use ADO.Net select, but given grouping, sort orders, etc. this would be extremely difficult (and quite slow). So, my guess is that you''d loop over all the values in GridGroupingControl.Table.DisplayElements to find the next unread. I just wanted to verify that this makes sense (e.g., there isn''t a way to get much faster access at a lower level). Thanks, dan

3 Replies

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team April 28, 2004 12:10 AM UTC

(above should be FilteredRecords rather than DisplayElements, I think...)

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team April 28, 2004 09:57 AM UTC

Yes, FilteredRecords is the best way to do this with Version 2.0 and then loop though it. You should not do that with ADO.NET select statements. That said you just gave me a really good use case for a custom counter (see the Custom Summaries) example. Counters have the benefit that you quickly jump to a specific counter position or to the next counter position. With your example, the custom counter would be a "Unread Mail Counter". But since I couldn''t think of really important use cases so far I didn''t make methods public yet for navigation and looping with custom counters. Will do that for the next version then. Your scenario is really a perfect use case. Just FYI - The FilteredRecords collection implementation is based on exactly that same counter collection. Stefan

AD Administrator Syncfusion Team April 28, 2004 02:42 PM UTC

Thank you. (And feel free to let me know if you''re testing it out -- I certainly consider using it in beta)

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon