We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date

Possible bug with =SUM(column:column) field

In word I have something similar to your sales invoice sample but with only 4 columns instead of 5 -  the 4th column has a list of prices                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       in the subtotal box I have a field with the formula =SUM(D:D)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          if I get docio to save the doc, then open it (in word) and click "update field" it works                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    But if I use the WordDocument.UpdateDocumentFields() method I get an unexpected result which is:- "!Syntax error, D:D"                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   Cheers,                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Carl.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Edit: also the ABOVE, LEFT, RIGHT and BELOW formulas don't work - see: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Sum-a-column-or-row-of-numbers-in-a-table-2E373A5F-2D8A-478A-9B85-275C8668BEBBSame syntax error                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  also on your forum the newlines are all removed when you edit a post

5 Replies

VR Vijay Ramachandran Syncfusion Team July 31, 2017 12:59 PM UTC

Hi Carl,

Thank you for contacting Syncfusion support.

Currently DocIO doesn’t have support for updating formula fields for the operations such as SUM of (Column:Column), ABOVE, LEFT, RIGHT etc. inside the tables. So, that the error message has been written while calling UpdateDocumentFields() API.

We have already logged this requirement as a feature request in our database and we don’t have any immediate plans to implement this feature. We will implement this feature in any of our upcoming releases. We usually have an interval of at least three months between releases. The feature implementation would also greatly depend on the factors such as product design, code compatibility and complexity. We request you to check our website periodically for feature related updates.

Regarding query “your forum the newlines are all removed when you edit a post”:

If you edit a post, the post will display in single line for this issue, we have created bug report. This issue will be fix in our upcoming volume 3 release.

Regards,
Vijay R 

CH Carl Heavisides July 31, 2017 02:47 PM UTC

hi Vijay,

Thanks for the update :)

Is there any way to get around this temporarily until the feature is added?

I understand I can just put the figure in from the back end via a mergefield but the whole exercise I'm trying to accomplish is to make it so the client can update their job sheet template whenever they want, so they might move things around if you see what I mean.

Ill attach the doc I have for this section and a screen shot from the converted pdf....

for the attached doc you might have to show all bookmarks and mergefields to see all the if conditions etc

if you look at the attached merged document in word it will have the error - but if you click update field it calculates the values.

Cheers,

Carl.

Attachment: JobSheetQuotes_2d3e9536.zip

VR Vijay Ramachandran Syncfusion Team August 1, 2017 10:26 AM UTC

Hi Carl,

Thank you for using Syncfusion products.

A support incident to track the status of your query has been created under your account. Please log on to our support website to check for further updates,

https://www.syncfusion.com/account/login?ReturnUrl=%2fsupport%2fdirecttrac%2fincidents

Please let us know if you have any concern.

Regards,
Vijay R

PS Pascal Seifert October 25, 2021 09:10 AM UTC

Is there any update on this feature? 

Do you have a complete list of functions, which are not supported right now?

MR Manikandan Ravichandran Syncfusion Team October 26, 2021 09:59 AM UTC

Hi Pascal,

Thank you for your update.

As mentioned earlier, we don’t have any immediate plans to implement this feature. We will update you once this feature has been implemented

It can be tracked through our feature management system:
https://www.syncfusion.com/feedback/3052/update-formula-field-that-evaluate-a-column-or-row-of-numbers-in-a-table

Please refer the below link to know more about supported and unsupported functionalities in DocIO.
https://help.syncfusion.com/file-formats/docio/supported-and-unsupported-features

Please let us know if you have any other queries.

Regards,
Manikandan Ravichandran

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon