We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date
Starting in 2019, the Reporting control is no longer included in Essential Studio. If you're experiencing issues with the Syncfusion Reporting Platform, Report Viewer, Report Designer, or Report Writer, we recommend migrating to Bold Reports, our dedicated reporting platform.

Bold Reports offers a comprehensive suite of tools and features for all your reporting needs, and we will help you make a smooth transition from the discontinued control. Our support team at https://support.boldreports.com/ is here to assist you with any questions or difficulties you may encounter during the migration process.

We thank you for choosing Syncfusion and appreciate your understanding.

General approach for generating reports (ASP.NET Core WebAPI backend / Angular frontend)

Hi, I want to know the general approach for generating reports in an environment with a Angular SPA that gets all data via .NET Core WebAPI / REST. The use case is that a user wants to get the needed data and visualize it in the SPA in a (Syncfusion) chart and filter it / setting time ranges etc. After that, the user wants to press a button to have a PDF report with some text information and the same configurated chart. SPA: PDF report: What I found out is: 1) I could send all needed chart parameter to the API and there I generate the report with C# and the Syncfusion PDF library for .NET Core. 2) As mentioned we do not have a MVC project. So https://help.syncfusion.com/angular/chart/exporting does not work here. 3) And there is the ReportViewer that seems to be able to generate reports on the SPA without more API calls. Thoughts: 1) is a valid way but one has to make sure the SPA and the report displays the same chart. (2x maintenance). Also, all the data already exists in the SPA. The SPA should be able to generate the PDF by itself without API calls. 3) Is it possible to use the ReportViewer to generate a report without additional API calls? 

2 Replies

CB cBashTn July 25, 2017 02:16 PM UTC

[edit] It seems every time I edit here, the formatting goes nuts. Here the text with original formatting:

Hi,

I want to know the general approach for generating reports in an environment with a Angular SPA that gets all data via .NET Core WebAPI / REST.

The use case is that a user wants to get the needed data and visualize it in the SPA in a (Syncfusion) chart and filter it / setting time ranges etc. 
After that, the user wants to press a button to have a PDF report with some text information and the same configurated chart.

SPA:

PDF report:

What I found out is:
1) I could send all needed chart parameter to the API and there I generate the report with C# and 
2) As mentioned we do not have a MVC project. So ,
https://help.syncfusion.
com/angular/chart/exporting
 does not work here.
3) And there is the ReportViewer that seems to be able to generate reports on the SPA without more API calls.

Thoughts:
1) is a valid way but one has to make sure the SPA and the report displays the same chart. (2x maintenance). Also, all the data already exists in the SPA. The SPA should be able to generate the PDF by itself without API calls.

3) Is it possible to use the ReportViewer to generate a report without additional API calls? 

YD Yuvaraj Devarajan Syncfusion Team July 26, 2017 01:37 PM UTC

Hi Sebastian, 

Thanks for contacting Syncfusion support. 

We can able to generate/design the report with chart report item using Syncfusion WPF ReportDesigner or MS ReportBuilder and load the generated report in Syncfusion ReportViewer in Angular platform.  Our ReportViewer control requires the WebAPI service to process the report in server side and could not render/process the report without WebAPI Restful service. Currently, we don’t have ASP.NET Core support for ReportViewer control and already logged feature report for “Support for ReportViewer on DNX library support for Cross Platforms”. It can be expected in Volume 4, 2017 release which is tentatively scheduled to be released in the month October.  

We have prepared a sample using chart report item and it can be downloade from below location, 

Please refer below UG documentation link to design a report in Syncfusion WPF ReportDesigner, 

Also please refer to the MSDN documentation link to create the Report using MS ReportBuilder, 

Please refer to the below UG documentation link load the report in Syncfusion ReportViewer.  

Regards, 
Yuvaraj D. 

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon