We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date
close icon

UTF-8 Support in QR-codes?

As per documentation, QR barcode drawing to pdf accepts shift_jis encoding when InputMode is set to InputMode.Binary.

It seems to me that it would be a nice feature to have a support for utf-8 characters in QR codes.

As it is now, I am getting an exception if I try to pass some text containing an utf-8 characters...

I would be very grateful If someone can point me to a simple code for converting utf-8 string to shift_jis string in c# .net so I can pass resulting shift_jis string to Syncfusion.Pdf.Barcode.  I tried with System.Text.Encoding converting, but on my system there is no support for shift_jis (code page 932).
Thank you.

3 Replies

GR Gayathri Ramalingam Syncfusion Team May 22, 2017 09:01 AM UTC

Hi Slobodan, 

Thank you for using Syncfusion product. 

We regret to let you know that we could not reproduce the mentioned issue. The Barcode can be drawn using UTF-8 Character in Xamarin.Forms. We have created a sample which we have tried. Can you please modify the below sample to reproduce the issue, so that it will be easy for us to investigate further on this. 
Please find the following link, 

Please find the output document from the below link for your reference, 

Please let us know if you need further assistance on this. 

With Regards, 
Gayathri R 

SB Slobodan Babic May 22, 2017 12:02 PM UTC

Thank you for your answer.
Unfortunately, string you used in your example (Line 71 at Form1.cs) contains no special utf-8 characters - all of the letters are from standard ASCII set.

If you try to replace that line with some Cyrillic letters, or Eastern European letters, you will reproduce the issue:

//Add data
  qrBarcode.Text = "АБВГДЂ ŠšĐđĆ掞";

Just in case this post gets messed up in transit because of unicode characters, characters are: 

//Add data
  qrBarcode.Text = "\u0410\u0411\u0412\u0413\u0414\u0402 \u0160\u0161\u0110\u0111\u0106\u0107\u017D\u017E";

In my tests, any of these letters wil cause an error in barcode creation.
Best regards,
Slobodan

KC Karthikeyan Chandrasekar Syncfusion Team May 25, 2017 12:34 PM UTC

Hi Slobodan, 
We have created a new incident for addressing this issue, please follow the incident created under your portal for further information. 

Karthikeyan.C 

Loader.
Live Chat Icon For mobile
Up arrow icon